Speaker plinths.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Feb 15, 2005.

1. penance

ListeningEar

...this is slightly inaccurate, the three-point system was researched and used as it provided better control over micro-rocking than using four-spikes. ;)

ListeningEar, Feb 17, 2005
  2. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

sorry, incorrect, mechanically the only reason for 3 points of contact is ease of levelling.

penance, Feb 17, 2005
  3. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Well they arrived and have been placed in situe.
    Not sure of results yet, they seem to have improved the bass, but also sucked some life from the music.

penance, Feb 17, 2005
  4. penance

ListeningEar

Rather than interpret others research may I suggest that you update your understanding of three-point spike systems by contacting iF Designs and requesting their technical data on three-point spikes.

There may have been other manufacturers that have used three-point systems and offered statements for using this on the basis of 'ease of levelling', but investigating deeper you will findout this is a dillution of the facts!

:D

ListeningEar, Feb 17, 2005
  5. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

hmm
    May i suggest you contact the engineers i work with, Hewlet Packard Laboritories at Bristol UK. They will help you update your knowledge of mechanical engineering.
    Im sure they will be more than willing to explain the mechanical principles behind this. They may even explain why our lazer measuring equipment (capable of measuring to 0.3um) uses an isolation mounting system utilsiing a 4 point contact method.
    As said before, the only reason for 3 point is ease of levelling, the advantage of 4 point is stability.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2005
    penance, Feb 17, 2005
  6. penance

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Sorry, I'm coming in a little late to the party. Is this just their company name or are they in Axminster, as in Devon as in Here

If so cool, I'd like to know the results of your test, as yes I've FINALLY rebuilt my system and in my new home, I'm not liking the results and looking for something to help improve things.

As for your 3 v 4 debate, I think all I have to say is Reliant Robin! Stable? nope!

lhatkins, Feb 18, 2005
  7. penance

ListeningEar

Well you stick to your education background and I will stick to mine on this issue and we shall agree to differ ;)
    Maybe you should get your HP engineers to run some new DOE's on this issue.

ListeningEar, Feb 18, 2005
  8. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

maybe you shouldnt fall for sales hype.

penance, Feb 18, 2005
  9. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Lee,
    yep, they are in Axminster.
    For me, its a failed experiment. Seems to have sucked the life from the music, gone all boom and tiz.
    Shame your not closer or you could borrow them to try.

penance, Feb 18, 2005
  10. penance

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

er, but surely three points is inherently stable - presumably why you sit cameras, telescopes, theodilites etc. on tripods and not quadpods.

Uncle Ants, Feb 18, 2005
  11. penance

lordsummit moderate mod

It is unless you have an overhanging corner! Glad you tried it Andy, I'm still not convinced they'd be the answer on my floor after it's stone anyway. It's a pain keeping them stable though as every little knock can move them

lordsummit, Feb 18, 2005
  12. penance

Anex Thermionic

Three wheel chair inner tubes work nicely in my experience. They're small in diameter but fat tubes so you get a good contact area. Then using three of them lets you level the platform without having to book a weeks holiday.

Anex, Feb 18, 2005
  13. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

depends on weight distribution.

penance, Feb 18, 2005
  14. penance

Anex Thermionic

Why? You can move the tubes to suit, two where the most weight is.

Anex, Feb 18, 2005
  15. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

sorry Anex,
    I was replying to --

penance, Feb 18, 2005
  16. penance

Thanks for the update, shame the test failed, was hoping for a better outcome, do you suffer from suspended floor syndrone as well?

I'd like to isolate my speakers from the floor, but appart from suspending them from the celling I don't think there is a lot I can do, they're already on concrete slabs which worked in the last house, but this floor is more boucy, and short of ripping it all up and replacing it, I think I'm stuck with it.

Dam wish I could drive, I'd drive to Bristol and pick them up! Would take me a long time on the bike!

lhatkins, Feb 18, 2005
  17. penance

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I'm having bouncy floor problems too... I think the solution will be bracing it underneath to solidify it somewhat.

I-S, Feb 18, 2005
  18. penance

penance Arrogant Cock

Lee,
    Yep, bouncy floor syndrome here big time. I am planning to add some form of bracing between the joists directly under the speakers and rack, also replacing the floorboards as quite a few are warped/broken.

I see from the other thread that you are going to be at the Bristol show, I could drag them along if your still interested?

penance, Feb 19, 2005
  19. penance

Yep I'll be at the show, ya that would be cool, how much to they weight? Would they fit in a back pack, (I see from the site they're 305mm x 230mm), that would be a great idea, if your cool with that?

lhatkins, Feb 19, 2005
  20. penance

Sid and Coke

I've been doing a lot more just playing music, often quite loudly when i'm not even in the same room lately and so haven't really sat down and analysed my sound for ages. I went for the layered Granite/inner tube option not thinking it would be any good at all and was quite pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded. (10" or 12" bike tube from Halfords - inflated than let down to ambient, if you inflate the tubes too much they really bounce about in a scary way ! )
    I have also had under floor bracing directly under the speaker positions for quite some time too , to try and stop my poxy, bouncy suspended wooden floors acting like a huge drum skin. The Mana sound bases definately did 'something ' to the sound although i think it acted more on the mid range and treble rather than the bass.
    After visiting one of the smaller rooms at last years Scottish Hi-Fi show I got the idea of placing my speakers slightly closer together and also toeing them in very sharply , so that the point of the triangle was a good couple of feet or so in front of my normal head position ( ;) ). I also placed the bass drivers on the outside. I think that with the Mission 782's speaker placement is more important than what you actually put them on.....
    I was sitting down the other day playing some music and thought how much i liked the sound and so I must be doing something right.

Basically i don't think i will ever be really happy with my sound in this present house of mine as there are some many things that piss me off about it, ( small size, noisy gas central heating, shite floors, basically everything.... :rolleyes: ) so until i move house my Hi-Fi life will always be a compromise.

Sid and Coke, Feb 19, 2005
Ask a Question