Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Dev

DennyL

I love my Squeezebox and wouldn't go back. I've ripped most of my CD's and am thinking of disposing of my CD players while they still have value. But just the other day I was putting some classical CDs away and started looking at them, appreciating the lovely artwork, browsing throught the information, handling them.... Now I've decided to put my classical CDs on a shelf in a convenient place, rather than putting them into deep storage, and maybe think again about keeping a CD player. I know, I love music for the music, not for the consumerist packaging, but some of those CDs are well turned out...

Still, when I slump on my sofa, it's the Squeezebox all the way. the convenience is undeniable, and so is the tidyness, with no CD cases strewn around the sitting room, no looking for a CD and remembering it's in the car, no taking a CD out and finding the CD isn't in the box.

DennyL, Feb 14, 2008
  2. Dev

DavidF

Most seem to say the sonics (of SBs)haven't caught up with cds yet.

Thats the important part for me.

DavidF, Feb 14, 2008
  3. Dev

shrink

cant say it takes me any longer than that to find an album on the squeezebox... browse - artist - type in the first few letters and ive found it.... takes moments.. and i dont have to get out my chair.

I often control my squeezebox from the laptop.. in that i can queue up music that suits my mood.. so for instance.. right now im listening to ray lamontagne, i could load up the slimserver and queue up john martyn to play next, or perhaps some jose gonzalez etc.... i think its a great solution to the playback of music. I havent used my cd player for ages.

In fact i find im now more likely to sit for hours listening to music.. as i dont have to keep getting up to change albums every 40-50 minutes. I can just keep on listening uninterrupted.

shrink, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Dev

Tenson Moderator

I really don't find it that hard to get up from the chair! In fact I like a little break every 40min or so to stretch my legs, to get another drink and go to the loo...

I dunno.. I have often wanted something like a SB, but it just seems like technology for the sake of it in my situation since there is really no reason not to put on a CD. When music is purely bought by download or you pay a yearly subscription to access the global music database it will make more sense to me.

Now that I think about it, my CD collection is also somewhat a time line of when I bought that music, the things in my life then and the mood I was in, etc.. all these sorts of things that are mostly subconscious do play a part in how I choose and browse my music. Its an organized and personal mess :) If it was suddenly a list of names in A-Z format it would be a bit odd for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
    Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Dev

DavidF

Yes, I agree with YOU Simon.

"as i dont have to keep getting up to change albums every 40-50 minutes"

..Oh my golly, that soiunds stressful...

:D

Hey, guys, the next thing is we'll be moaning were not getting enough excercise.....

DavidF, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Dev

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I agree with Tenson and the overall user interface idea.

Since loading squeezebox onto the laptop (the music is still on the desktop), I'm able to have the complete interface from album art to everything else.

With just the remote control the user interface just isn't the same.

If you've got a laptop, I reccomend it.

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Dev

shrink

your missing the point tenson... its not just an A to Z list... im getting the impression here that you have never used a squeezebox.

You can browse through your collection by years, by genre, by artist, so if you want to go to a specific decade you could do that and find music from then. Its not just some never ending a to z list there are many ways to break down the search.

Bottleneck raises another point... if you can access it with a laptop then you have full access to not only all of the above, but also a full set of album art. Another nifty way i thought of is to use a PDA.... you can access slimserver from any wifi enabled PDA with a web browser... and then you could use it as a remote control too.

The last point i'll make is this.... if you treasure your CD's so much, doesnt the idea of being able to use them less appeal? less risk of damage, scratching and general wear and tear.

My cd's havent left their boxes in months... it means the next time do need them, they will be in the condition in which they were left.

Ive said my bit :)

shrink, Feb 17, 2008
  8. Dev

DavidF

You want to do THAT?

...again horses for courses

Imy experience cds are pretty much indestructable.

I'm not that terrribly careful and have insignificant losses

what a waste !

DavidF, Feb 17, 2008
  9. Dev

Tenson Moderator

I've spent a fair bit of time playing with Robs SB+ when he had it. He also had a PDA to control it. So I know what its like.

Its just that the SB way feels very impersonal and detached. I'm concious that I sound like an old man trying to stand in the way of progress but thats just how I feel. I'm sure if I had only been building my collection for a few years it wouldn't matter so much but as it is, its a strangely personal thing. I don't want to remove that element from it. I'm sure its just the same as those who have their vinyl rituals of cleaning the record, spinning up the TT, looking at the album art etc..

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  10. Dev

I felt the same way, until I actually got used to owning a squeezebox.

It's revolutionised the way I listen to music - I listen to more music than I ever did before, CD's that were rarely played get played more often.

Its not just track skipping (which lets face it SB owners do more because it's so easy, rather than opening and closing plastic boxes all over the place).. but setting up playlists (and again, until you've got a SB this wont really sink in).

If I'm listening to whole albums, I've programmed the next album to play on my laptop long before the first album has even finished - so can you beat changing cd's in zero seconds? :D

Also of course, having a laptop right there means I can be working, browsing, or anything else at the same time - great stuff.

I haven't even spoken of internet radio through a squeezebox, because for me I have so much conventional music to play.

I'm not out to convert anyone (each to their own, quite happy with that :) ), but genuinely a SB is something you only appreciate the joys of when you get into the swing of using it. I'd liken the experience to owning a car - you don't miss not having one until you've actually owned one.

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2008
  11. Dev

Tenson Moderator

I have a silent computer sitting right next to my hi-fi that I can use while listening. I could put all my music on that, view album art and make playlists etc.. (and I do have some on it) but I rarely bother. I find myself asking the question 'why bother? I've got my CDs right over there!'.

As they say, horses for courses. Maybe if I started using computer based digital filtering like ShinObiwan I would change my mind.

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  12. Dev

yes, must admit I sometimes wonder on the computer filtering aspect.

Squeezebox forums now have EQ available as a plug-in, for those that want it.

The combination of full-on modelling with a streamed digital music from a pc to a hifi are all there, and hopefully will be seized upon fully by friendly share-ware people!! :D

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2008
  13. Dev

shrink

arent there add ons for the newest squeezebox that allow it to do room EQ and so on in the digital domain?

shrink, Feb 17, 2008
  14. Dev

Tenson Moderator

I'm talking about full on FIR digital crossovers, time and phase alignment, etc.. but to be honest I don't feel much need for that right now either.

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  15. Dev

DavidF

Not a realistic analogy

We all need cars, like it or not.

We don't need squeeze box

AFAIK anyway.

I don't have problem putting a cd in a player....and I'll keep the precision that goes with it.

DavidF, Feb 17, 2008
  16. Dev

I managed without a car until I was about 23. I didn't suddenly implode or something.

We don't all need them (IMO) I just like the ease and convenience of them. I'd say my sales-type job depends on one, but in truth I bet I could probably do the job with phones/fax/ etc if I had to.

You're right though, we don't all need squeezeboxes. But definately, like a tin opener instead of a knife (if you prefer that analogy) it's the owning of one and it's regular use that really shows you the benefit.

I guess I'm saying something wider than just squeezebox, but rather stored music on some form of drive (be that through a big Ipod, sonus, squeezebox or whatever) is a liberating experience.

Woudnt try to persuade you though Dave, diversity is what it's all about :)

PS - like that red sunset in your picture.

bottleneck, Feb 17, 2008
  17. Dev

Tenson Moderator

Have any of you used the Noxon 2?

Tenson, Feb 17, 2008
  18. Dev

andrew1810

andrew1810, Feb 18, 2008
  19. Dev

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i managed sans car until i was 29. is that a record?

sq225917, Feb 18, 2008
  20. Dev

DavidF

No true enough we don't.

I live in a fairly rural area and might have difficult getting into work for 7.00 am and pm without.

Absolutly right though, things COULD be arranged otherwise if push came to shove.

hokay

:)

Sorry, not to put anyones kits down :eek:

......I'm a true piscean, I dislike change!

(edit I do have concerns about the way (quality wise) music is being produced and sold. I 'm certainly not a techy on the subject but it seems to me this down loading scenario is some thing of a downward spiral as far as I can make out. I was talking to my local mate (Hi, Peter ;) ) today who was muchly comfirming my (worst) suspicions on the way things are goign.

Note; I don't pretend to understand it all though!!)

If i'm honest, tweaking is much of the fun for me, so I'm on my feet changing something for much of the time anyway!

Thankyou, I did try to change it (once)for a shot of lake vyrnwy (northish wales) but it (the server) wouldn't take it for some reason........

Have it anyway;

[​IMG]

...a bit misty/ cloudy but I was pleased with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
    DavidF, Feb 18, 2008
Ask a Question