Star Wars Episode 3...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by stumblin, May 22, 2005.

1. stumblin

rsand I can't feel my toes

Lucas has had it hard, star wars (4) was and is a kids film, but the kids that watched and loved it are now adults expecting an adults film. The story is bound to be weaker as it all happens in the original (last) three films. Will be interesting if he ever makes them what 7-9 will be like - darker? more adult?

rsand, May 25, 2005
  2. stumblin

Coda II getting there slowly

:eek:

It is possible to make great films that appeal to kids and adults alike.

Toy Story, Spirited Away (if you haven't seen it, do), Matrix (1), LOTR ...

I don't believe it is just nostalgia that has thirtysomethings sitting through A New Hope for th nth time.

parts 7-9?

There was a line where Yoda is sending Obi-Wan off to commune with the (dead) Qui-Gon Jinn which did have me wondering about further movies, or was that a games reference?

Coda II, May 25, 2005
  3. stumblin

blakeaudio

i actually thought that iii was not just (much, much) better than i and ii, but also beter that vi. although i have to say i always thought that v was the best of them all, closely followed by iv.

still love the line from spaced about "jah jah making the ewoks look like shaft".

blakeaudio, May 25, 2005
  4. stumblin

rsand I can't feel my toes

Yeh, spaced was top! I love the scene where he rips a new ar*e hole for someone about the phantom menace, and when the camera pans to the customer its a 6 year old kid who starts crying

rsand, May 25, 2005
  5. stumblin

blakeaudio

that was classic.

blakeaudio, May 25, 2005
  6. stumblin

Anex Thermionic

What a prick :D

I thought the Ja Ja (is it ja ja or jah jah?!) scene in the third one was quite funny, seemed sarcastic in a way :)

Anex, May 25, 2005
  7. stumblin

blakeaudio

even so, being 6 is no defence....

blakeaudio, May 25, 2005
  8. stumblin

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

That was a forward referenece to the skill Obi demonstrates in IV & V as Alec Guiness, when he appears to Luke after dieing.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2005
    LiloLee, May 25, 2005
  9. stumblin

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Wow, a lot of fans. I'm glad you guys liked it, it just didn't do anything for me. In fact it's somehow tainted the other 3 films.

There seems to be an enormous split of opinion, more so than any other film in recent memory. Could there be two versions? Maybe we weren't watching the same film!!!

stumblin, May 25, 2005
  10. stumblin

Sid and Coke

Went to see it with the wife and two of the kids. Easily the best of the recent 3 for me. I did find that i was looking at my watch on a few occasions about an hour or so in, however it picked up later on, especially as all of the story lines for 4,5, and 6 took shape.

Killing all of the kiddies was a particularly nasty bit and very Darth Vader, he didn't chop them up very much though considering how small they were and him having a particularly sharp light sabre an all, perhaps one or two little high pitched screams wouldn't have gone amis as the camera panned away and the scene faded out..

Glad to see that stupid Ja ja character didn't feature much at all. Master Yoda was pretty cool as always, I really like that little green guy.

Possessing a force or having special tasks must make you flame and heat proof, all these super heros seem to revel in fighting actually inside erupting volcano's, whereas us mere earthlings can't get to within a few hundred meters without having to don fireproof suits and breathing apparatus.

Hobbits seem to be immune from the effects of sulphur dioxide and intense heat too, must be them big hairy feet....

Sid and Coke, May 26, 2005
  11. stumblin

midlifecrisis Firm member

took the wife and kids (9 & 11) to see it this weekend and we were all bored witless :SLEEP: . it is too long by far and the dialogue is utterly stilted - no actor can work effectively with that material, let alone when they are carved from a block of wood like Heineken Skywalker (trained in eyebrow acting by Roger Moore?). I was delighted when he had his legs chopped off as I'd been longing to do it to him myself.. the effects were doubtless very expensive but are no substitute for tension and drama - and there wasn't any of that at all as there were never any outcomes in doubt.

midlifecrisis, May 31, 2005
  12. stumblin

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I went last night, dragged semi-unwillingly by mrs beeb who is a devotee... I actually quite enjoyed it, loved the fights and space battles and the spaceships.

But the mechanisms to drive the plot forward are very weak, especially Annakin going over to the dark side. Weakest by far was Obi-Wan's victory in the light saber duel... "I have the higher ground, you cannot win" - as if we haven't watched these guys leap 20-30 feet up and down all over the place for the last 10 minutes!

Poor Christopher Lee.... 2 mins on screen and he's lost his head! At least he had better luck than poor Saruman in LOTR who got nothing in the 3rd film. And all Anni can say is "Oh, I shouldn't have done that, it was not the jedi way". hang on... this is a big step in the wrong direction mate!

And Darth Vader just isn't scary 30 years on.... At the end, on the bridge of the starship gazing out over the skeletal Death Star he folds his arms as if to say "lovely view, fancy a cuppa?"

alanbeeb, May 31, 2005
  13. stumblin

Lt Cdr Data om

well I have seen it for a 2nd time.

Its good, very good, quite a bit of tension, and the emporer is absolutely superb.

But I suspect its been cut, I found myself seeing more 'inner detail' this time around, and its a bit incoherent, I was wondering who a lot of the people in the outer reachers were, bits happened all a bit quick, and annekin turned totally in a few minutes, one min he had a conscience, next he was the emporers devotee, and why did all the storm troopers suddenly serve sidious?

Lt Cdr Data, May 31, 2005
  14. stumblin

analoguekid Planet Rush

If you are 12 then go and see it if not wait for the video!, we left when he got his legs chopped off, was bored, and uncomfortable, smashig effects spoiled by poor storyline dragged out too long.

analoguekid, May 31, 2005
  15. stumblin

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Oh no! You missed the best part of the film. The rising of Darth Vader! Wet your pants funny, though unfortunately not intentionally so...

stumblin, May 31, 2005
  16. stumblin

MacReady’sShack Rattling shuddering LFE.1

I saw episode 3 two times at the local ABC cinema Bournemouth, it had a kinder of an odd feeling to it, knowing this was the last one. But seeing up on a very large screen with Dolby digital and JBL sound power kept me looking and listening while I was front and centre.

MacReady’sShack, Oct 26, 2007
Ask a Question