Strange bits of mastering...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Jun 9, 2004.

1. I-S

MikeD Militant Nutter

don't get to play with such toys, so it's the old fasioned way for me ;)

MikeD, Jun 11, 2004
  2. I-S

dex

Re: Re: Revealing

What makes you say that?

Damn, My speakers are taking a slagging and I feel I must defend them. To me and any of my friends who have heard my system the imaging of the MS 25is is absolutely fine. Coments such as "did you hear that over there?" or "I've never even heard that bit before" are regular from my friends. Also Please bear in mind the price difference between some of your kit and mine (MS25is vs Casle Conways3 Hmmmmm)

As for the Naim slagging, well my mates Naim NAIT5 does enough of the "music making" thing to fend off most other designs. It's very strong through the midrange and sounds very big for the rated power. By the way he uses Monitor Audio Silv8is and it sounds very nice with loud stuff and nice soft stuff, although mine sounds better with the loud stuff.

There's more to music than imaging, spaciousnes etc. There is of course the sheer physics of a performance. If your listening material is stuff like Rage Against The Machine, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Mahler, Fun Lovin Criminals or other stuff that will require both poise and power then I would recommend MS Speakers. They compare well with my mates MA Silver 8is, which were more than twice the price. You should read my earlier posts when we did direct comparisons between my system and my mates with a very wide range of material.

I should point out that I am a drummer who has been in several bands and consequently I think I'm completely deaf. My snare drum has been clocked at 140dBa @0.5m (the sound engineer is always funny as he reaches for the Gain control whem I start whacking).

Glasgow (Gig on the Green) two years ago was my biggest gig, and probably biggest sound system 60kW (we were on the smallest of 3 stages, and first on).

I would always like to get as close to the kind of dynamics that I can achieve on my drumkit (i.e. about as quiet as you can hear up to about 140 dBa and by the way, 140 dBa hurts) Unfortunately that's a bit much for domestic listening, or the wallet.

Power is good, but so is refinement. Not too sure where the balance lies (yet) Anyway the MS25is do the physics fine and the Naim does the music fine. (Pity I've got a NAD370)

Tori Amos? Well there's a good test of what a speaker's capable of. (Sarcastic coment or what). Some folk might say Castle Conways couldn't bang there way out of a wet paper bag. In fact I'd be one of them.

Have fun Guys (and listen louder)

dex, Jun 12, 2004
  3. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Well, the DVD has the same mastering thing, despite being able to see the positioning of the players. The image is more diffuse though, but I think that's the DVD player rather than the material.

I-S, Jun 12, 2004
  4. I-S

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Re: Re: Re: Revealing

You should try some. You really should ;)

technobear, Jun 13, 2004
  5. I-S

Tim F

I bought my sister MS25 pearls for Christmas, the only cared about where they were put. Not bad for trebble but flat bass, boxy sounding and not the best speaker ever made, didn't cost much though so can't complain... and she wouldn't notice anyway!

Tim F, Jun 16, 2004
Ask a Question