Strange predicament

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Nah, I dont really wanna change amp, I dont think it would change the basic character of the cans, which is what I'm objecting to. I like the Sonys and they go well with that amp. Its just took me to waste my money to realise that.

I am using X-Can v3 BTW.

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  2. PBirkett

Joolsburger

Perhaps a change of tubes in the Xcans would be a cheap way to help the senns they are very transparent and will show a change up easily.

Joolsburger, Jan 8, 2004
  3. PBirkett

Lt Cdr Data om

There is a point to mention here, it probably doesn't apply, but I don't know how many of you good people know about this:
    Europe isn't such a bad thing...they brought out a directive called the distance selling regulations, that states something on the lines of things bought mail order or via a website can be returned within x days for refund, no questions asked, faulty or not.
    Probably due to not being able to examine it yourself.

To clarify the others, shops are not obliged to refund at all, unless sale of goods 1979 is flouted, they usually exchange/offer credit, and some good ones do refund.

I have found usually the big chains are better to buy off, for returns, as I have had problems even with faulty things off small shops. The big ones don't really care as much as its not their cash.

I even got 2x£1 gift vouchers change from whsmith...they don't give cash...rotten lot
    :mad:

follow your instincs if you like rotel,

go for the b/w or regas.
    saras could be interesting

Lt Cdr Data, Jan 8, 2004
  4. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

I suspect that the reason the shop may be unwilling to refund the headphones are down to the nature of the product.

A pair of 'used' headphones may be something that they are not wanting to take back - in a way that an amp or interconnect for example would not bother them..

Heres a few ideas..

1) Ask if its hygeine reasons that are preventing the refund. If you offered to buy replacement pads would they then refund the headphones?
    2) Chris's idea of a credit note is a good one.
    3) Im sure they can order things in that they would not normally stock for you... maybe video equipment aswell as audio? how about a new TV or DVD player, an I pod, or some Isolda cable?

NB
    If you ever want to sell your Beyers off cheap let me know :)

bottleneck, Jan 8, 2004
  5. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

They are transparent, but believe me, not as transparent as the Sony's by a long shot. I dont think any amount of amp tweaking is going to make me like the Senn's more than the Sonys. At first I thought so, but a return to the Sony's was quite shocking to be honest. It felt like I'd downgraded.

Thanks, but to be honest, I preferred the Missions to the B&W back then, and theres no reason to suppose I'd think any differently now. The Regas are good speakers, my mate has them, but I think they are probably too short for my room - it has to clear the bed - which the Mission on the stand does, but the Regas definitely wouldnt. Also, as good as the Ela's are, I'm not convinced they are any better than my Missions either.

No, I just think I'll stick with both.

Not sure abou the credit note, as I didnt really plan on doing any upgrades. Whether I do or not is unknown, but I dont PLAN on it. Its not for hygiene reasons - they said the same about the X-Can when I got that. I'd love a new telly but cant afford one, I dont really need any more audio stuff.

Nice try :p I have a nice pair of Sennheisers though :D

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  6. PBirkett

Sid and Coke

Sorry to hear of your dilema mate. Maybe it's time to change dealers, or at least see if you can secure a home trial before you commit to purchase in future. Unfortunately it looks like this one is going to cost you :)( ) . As you are buying from and supporting your local dealer i think they are being a bit harsh. The Normal reason for going to a local dealer in the first place is to try before you buy and get good advice, I've always thought ? It looks like in this case you might have been better off buying via Online/mail order, at least you would have got your money back. I once had a pair of HD590's on home dem for a whole week. This was enough time to make a decision between them and the HD580's I'd just bought s/h. I returned the HD590's in cosmetically, 'forensically pristine' condition ( but burnt in ) and got a full refund .
    You seem to have bought quite a bit of new kit over the last few months, perhaps your dealer might like to consider this. It is always great for a dealer to sell a bit of High end kit every once in a while , but it's probably the hundreds of smaller sales , consistently made over a long period of time that pays everybodies wages in the shop !

My local dealer doesn't have a huge range of kit for me to choose from, one reason that i keep going back though is because they are a friendly bunch and 99% of the time offer me the oppurtunity to return the goods (within a short , but, reasonble time frame) if not entirely satisfied, I always have to buy it outright first though.

Unfortunately first hand exerience often doesn't come cheap. Hope you don't lose too much dosh on this one, but i think it's going to cost you. Looking at e-pay it would seem that £199 + P&P is pretty much the going rate at the moment for a new pair.

Sid and Coke, Jan 8, 2004
  7. PBirkett

rodrat

Hi

I had a pair of Sara's in the 80's. I thought they were very good and for a relaltively small speaker, they did bass. However, they are a bitch to drive. They are isobarik and do put a severe load on the amp. It was generally recognised that a nap 250 was needed to do them justice.

Rod

rodrat, Jan 8, 2004
  8. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hey Sid. I am going to try again in the morning, see if they will take it back, and stress the point that I have bought an amp, speakers, stands and a headphone amp, costing a grand total of £830 and never ever brought any of that stuff back at all, and try and see if they will take them back.

Its got to be worth a try. And also, I'll remind him that I got them for £250 because there was a January sale on. He told me that the following week they'd go back to £300. Whats to stop him selling them at £300. There is not a mark on them either.

You have inspired me to try again.

PBirkett, Jan 8, 2004
  9. PBirkett

MO! MOnkey`ead!

And the lesson is, deMO, deMO, deMO ;)

Oh, well you've took some risks, and looks like the bigger one you took with sony's (importing from japan?) seems to be proving itself MOre and MOre worthwhile! Try and look at it that way :D

As others have said, and as you seem to be agreeing, "if it aint broke, don't try and fix it". The speakers would probably just be a side step, even with the price you'd get for the missions (£200 ish), and the credit for the 650s it's perhaps not really worth it. Especialy when you do MOst your litening through cans anyway. Same applies to your stereo amp. So the source would seem the ideal place, but you say you've MOre than happy with that too.

Perhaps mains, cables, tweaks blah blah blah.... of course auditioning first ;)

In your situation, with your kit, i'd probably just try and sell them on.

MO!, Jan 8, 2004
Ask a Question