Subwoofers in the midrange...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lowrider, Jul 16, 2004.

1. lowrider

alanl

alanl, Jul 17, 2004
  2. lowrider

analoguekid Planet Rush

Looks like yer gonna need an extension on yer flat merlin :)

analoguekid, Jul 17, 2004
  3. lowrider

lowrider Live music is surround

I started this thread, obviously I find cohesive the referred arguments, or I wouldnt quote them, but you came back with "too many generalisations and inaccuracies", is this what you consider constructive... :confused:

lowrider, Jul 17, 2004
  4. lowrider

merlin

Both Steve (a talented speaker designer) and myself then countered to which you simply replied with the usual petulance.

Do you have any thoughts of your own?

merlin, Jul 17, 2004
  5. lowrider

Steve's subwoofers are more similar to my REL than to your JBL, as is the xover frequency he uses...

Fortunatelly I dont have to re-invent hifi like you do all the time, the laws of phisics have been around for a long time before you...

lowrider, Jul 17, 2004
  6. lowrider

merlin

Antonio, I have better things to do :rolleyes:

You are the one trying to reproduce 2 channel recordings using 7 speakers scattered around the room with loads of processing crossovers and filtering. :D

So don't talk to be about breaking the rules ;)

merlin, Jul 17, 2004
  7. lowrider

I didnt invent surround, actually more people use it every day, but of course we are all wrong...

lowrider, Jul 17, 2004
  8. lowrider

Dev Moderator

Dev, Jul 17, 2004
  9. lowrider

Saab

I think its the same one Dev

what amp will they use,Windscale?

Saab, Jul 17, 2004
  10. lowrider

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Saab

From what I remember its a horn loaded bass driver, so it only needs a few watts! crazy eh?

bottleneck, Jul 17, 2004
  11. lowrider

Saab

blimey,a house that will resonate to 1 hz using 1 watt,now that is clever:)

that guy must like bass then

Saab, Jul 17, 2004
  12. lowrider

merlin

Antonio,

test results show quite clearly that odd order harmonic distortion is a problem with many commercial subwoofers. It is also generally accepted that this type of distortion is both unpleasant (not occuring naturally) and destructive to perceived sound quality.

Now in Rel's case, 3rd harmonic distortion is greater than 10% even in their top models, and is even greater on the Strata. This problem exists regardless of playback level. If you are replaying a piece of music with say a low piano note at around 30hz, this distortion will be audible at 90hz (remember third harmonic) and like wise a 25hz organ note will produce annoying distortion at 75hz.

Thinking logically, it would make sense in this case to crossover below the point at which this distortion interferes with the music, so crossing over at 60hz (assuming a 4th order crossover slope is employed in the Krell) would make the distortion at 75hz a further 6db lower in relation to the main signal. As the majority of music contains no true notes below 30hz, the main distortion is likely to be at 90hz and above, so employing the filter setting you do would reduce the odd harmonic distortion to about -30db at 90hz and make it all but inaudible at higher frequencies.

So by crossing over at 60hz to you satellites, you are able to compensate for the distortion inherent in the design, producing a cleaner and more pleasing sound. Due to the high distortion measured in many commercially available subwoofers, this is accepted practice and indeed products are designed under the assumption that lower crossover settings will be used.

But what happens if you start off with very low distortion in the first place?

Just edited to add that having looked at the follow ups to Mr Greene's original response, you will see that provided one adheres to basic acoustic guidelines, there is no issue with higher crossover frequencies in a properly designed product. I hope that will clarify matters for you, but I will of course happily answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2004
    merlin, Jul 18, 2004
  13. lowrider

As Steve well said, if you use xover higher than 120hz, it is a 3 way system, regardless how many and where you place the subwoofers, and then you have all the related problems you so well mentioned, but, of course, well designed 3 way systems do exist... ;)

About the distortion you mention, it is produced by the subwoofer, so it doesnt matter how low one sets the xover, it wont be affected, it will be all still played and heard...

I dont doubt those reports of distortion from REL subwoofers, but I dont doubt my ears and my guest's either, and no one ever noticed any problem with the bass in my room, on the contrary, then again, tube amps have a lot of distortion too, not to mention the speakers themselves... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Jul 18, 2004
  14. lowrider

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

OY! :(

All amps have distortions of one type or another, including digital ones.

PS
    Dont ask me to explain that, cos I havent got the technical knowledge!.. but I read it so I know its true :p

bottleneck, Jul 18, 2004
  15. lowrider

So we all have to live with distortions, just choose, if you can, the ones that bother you less... ;)

lowrider, Jul 18, 2004
  16. lowrider

merlin

Glad we got that out of the way. So I am happy to have a reasonably designed three way system that keeps me entertained. I hope we can leave it there.

merlin, Jul 18, 2004
  17. lowrider

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Chris,

Is correct THD........Total Harmonic Distortion however low 0.02% is still distortionm, weather you can hear it is another matter, however is Distrortion :)

wadia-miester, Jul 18, 2004
  18. lowrider

merlin

At what point does distortion become audible?

It is worth remembering that valve amps produce maybe 2% of even order distortion, but I understand even order exists in the real world. The Subs create 10% of 3rd harmonic, which has been suggested is the reason for many s/s amps having that signature

merlin, Jul 18, 2004
  19. lowrider

alanl

I have a REL StentorII, could the distortion from the sub be the reason that it's now under my computer desk not being used since the change to Quad ESL-63 with there lack of distortion. Having tried to integrate it with the quads to no great effect, the speed of the bass was good problem is that I could always hear it alone not a part of the music.

PS: found a great use for it, every time the next-door apartment turns up his sub I just run a 30hz tone loud from the computer and the whole unit block moves he then turn it down. "Better than banging on the wall"

alanl, Jul 18, 2004
  20. lowrider

merlin

:D :D Class!

merlin, Jul 18, 2004
Ask a Question