System advice please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by nicolap99, Aug 29, 2007.

1. nicolap99

dudywoxer Regaholic

I find it hard to accept that you find the rega gear tame on anything that wants to be energetic, and are thinking of moving to valves. I am not saying that all valves amps are more laid back that the Rega's, but most that I have heard are.
    I would think about looking at one end of your system or the other at the moment, at least at the demo stage. Try something from say Neat at the speaker end, and see if that brings more life.
    If it is really texture thing that you are looking for then how about something like the Sugden class A integrated A21 or A21SE depending on you budget, they excel in texture, and to me inhabit a one off world as far as amps go, not SS like, but not valve like, but they have a sound you seem to hear into, and through.
    ________
    Bernadette

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Sep 3, 2007
  2. nicolap99

JCL

I agree with what dudywoxer is saying there.

There's nothing wrong with your amplification IMO. I'd try some different speakers as it sounds like yours aren't enjoying your room. I've heard Rega amps sound very good with Totem speakers on many occasions.

JCL, Sep 3, 2007
  3. nicolap99

nicolap99 Denis

I'm inclined to agree.

I've got the upgradeitus at the moment (after a long period of contentment - four years or so).

My taste could be changing, I've even had the thought of changing the speakers !!! Had ProAc speakers for the last ten years!

nicolap99, Sep 3, 2007
  4. nicolap99

joel Shaman of Signals

Just for fun try getting the tweeters just above ear level (stick the speakers on a phonebook or something). I'm don't know if you'll like the effect, but it puts "upgrades" into perspective.

joel, Sep 3, 2007
  5. nicolap99

Dev Moderator

Very good advice. I'd try this before spending any money on any "upgrades".

Dev, Sep 3, 2007
Ask a Question