Tact question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Aug 24, 2006.

1. andyoz

sastusbulbas

What I think I am after ? is something to mainly clean up the lower registers, but also replace/replicate the options the K-UBE gives me with extension, Q factor and contour , but without losing any transparency or quality. To be honest I am not sure what the best option is here ?

The system , Kef Reference 107 (single wire) with Krell KRC 3 pre and Krell 250 power, the room L shaped with plasterboard. There is some bass lift noticable on the left side of the room, particulary I think in the rear left corner. (I would like something completely transparent which be put in between the pre and power with XLR connections)

The problem with the K-UBE is it masks some treble detail and quality, and is not balanced (which I prefer), and although the 107 sounds not too bad without the K-UBE the frequency responce is not quite as even, with slightly lifted treble and bass rolling off earlier , I find the K-UBE controls quite useful , and without it dynamics and even frequency down to the lower registers is affected. (I dont know if I could have the K-UBE rebuilt to offer XLR options and more transparency ?)

The Tact sounded interesting, as it is a pre, DAC and has room correction and may completely remove the need for the K-UBE, but I never did find out if it was a better quality option than the KRC 3 pre and Theta Pro Basic IIIa dac ( Or a KRC HR with Theta Pro Gen Va) with external room EQ ?

Of course changing the speakers may help, but the 107 is quite child proof, and the coupled cavity gives I find more options with room placement, with the K-UBE (or even an old Meridian 602) I can place these 1m into the room or against the wall, I am sure a speaker which goes down to 20hz with a large bass driver facing into the room would create more problems than the 107 coupled cavity ? (in fact the only problems I have with the 107 apart from a couple of the usual room related problems, is the use of the K-UBE and the T33 tweeter, It would be nice to fit something better in there)
    Maybe I am just too atached to the damn things, after all I have been using them for years.

sastusbulbas, Sep 3, 2006
  2. andyoz

anon_bb Honey Badger

It depends what dsp you are doing. Nonlinear signal processing takes a lot of horsepower.

Agreed about what is currently available though - but then thats true of almost everything in audio. In the main its a conservative and undistinguished field in terms of technology. The chips in the behringer kit are pretty cheap.

anon_bb, Sep 3, 2006
Ask a Question