Tact tda2200 - big claims

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreemer, Feb 17, 2005.

1. dreemer

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Has anyone here actually heard a Tact TDA 2200 yet?

alanbeeb, Mar 20, 2005
  2. dreemer

big_ben_jitter Wotwotwotwotwotwotwot!

I have 2.

Never heard anything better IMHO.

Ben

big_ben_jitter, Mar 20, 2005
  3. dreemer

penance Arrogant Cock

oops!!

LoL :ffrc:

penance, Mar 21, 2005
  4. dreemer

Well, I have heard it myself now.... exchanged it for my SDAi2175 last weekend and had it at home for week, and tried it without using any of the EQ capability fed direct from my transport.

To cut a short story even shorter.... I couldn't wait to get the SDAi2175 back, and amazingly for about the first time ever I agree with WM about something - the TacT TDA robbed the life out of the music and made everrything sound dull. Fantastic texture - especially with modern classical music with interesting percussion, but lacking forward drive and momentum, so not fun at all with most music.

Anyway, I reckon it might be the interaction with my speakers, the ATC SCM12, which are not the most forward sounding things nor very neutral, I like their holistic big picture rendition... The SDAi2175 may balance very nicely with this, but the TDA2200 might be better with a very upfront or neutral speaker. But I won't be trying it again.

The relief when I got the SDAi2175 connected back in yesterday was considerable.

alanbeeb, Apr 25, 2005
  5. dreemer

TDA takes at least a week to start sounding good. It really goes off in the first week. Still improving 3 months down the line.

There a fantastic review of the SDA in June's edition of Hi-fi World. 7 pages.

To quote.............

"Supremely smooth and well balanced in every respect, this amplifier starkly shows what other solid-state does wrong. Brilliantly engineered, it's nothing less than an epoch-making audio product." (5 globes and a £)

TDA is far superior to SDA, but as alanbeeb says, it's about system matching. May be worth looking at the rest of the system before dismissing the TacT gear, or as the Denmark half of TacT will be known in future 'Lyngdorf Audio'.
    But of course, I'm biased. :)

There is a new Lyngdorf Audio forum on Yahoo.
    http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/LyngdorfAudio-UG

Kindest regards
    Ben

big_ben_jitter, Apr 29, 2005
  6. dreemer

ditton happy old soul

Lyngdorf? looks like a misprint for what Blair is being called ...

ditton, Apr 29, 2005
  7. dreemer

Joe

Well, possibly. However it seems to me that the hifi comics rediscover the state of the art every month. I suppose one can hardly blame them:

'In this months Hifi Whatever, we review some competent amplifiers, a few reasonably good speakers and a CD player that isn't too bad. Oh, and some over-priced tat that we wouldn't touch with a bargepole'.

Joe, Apr 29, 2005
  8. dreemer

I understand your comments, but have a read first. It seems a well balanced review with plenty of tech info. Sounds like you are suffering from Hi-fi mag burn out, quite understandably.

There is a lot of back scratching goes on with the mags, for sure, but the review echos my findings of the SDA.

Cheers
    Ben

9. dreemer

Joe

I'll have look, though Hifi World isn't a magazine I usually read. No names, no pack drill, but it features my least-favorite writer.

What caused my jaw to drop recently was a review in Hifi+ of a £30,000 pair of speakers, in which the reviewer commented that these speakers enabled him for the first time to notice the American pronunciation of 'Scarborough' in Simon & Garfunkel's 'Scarborough Fair'. I noticed that 30 years ago on my parents' Dansette record player with built-in speaker (cost around £20)

Joe, Apr 29, 2005
  10. dreemer

Lefty

Hmmm... all this talk of these TacT amps has got me thinking.

I am just about to acquire a naim NAC 72 for use with my NAP 140. However in the naim manual it says that one can use other makes of power amp with their pre-amps as long as the pre is powered with a PS. (I have a HiCap)

Now, wouldn't it be interesting to try the SDA2175 power amp with the 72? An odd combination for sure but.... you never know - it just might work?! Plus 200W into 8 ohms and 375 into 4 - now that is tempting :D Does anyone know if their money back offer stands with this amp also? The problem is that for not much more, I could get an Avondale 260z - so the TacT had better be damn special if it's gonna beat one of those :eek:

Lefty

Lefty, Apr 29, 2005
  11. dreemer

The money back offer is for all Tact stuff. I'm very very happy with my SDAi2175 - which is the integrated version of the SDA reviewd in HiFi World.

The TDA2200 I had on demo was a demo one with a fair amount of running already done.... it just didn't work out for me.

alanbeeb, Apr 29, 2005
  12. dreemer

Hi Alan.
    The money back offer only applied to the SDA. I think this was a limited time offer, but I could be wrong.

It's a shame you didn't get to hear it EQ'd for your room and your personal taste. You can totally change the characteristicts of the sound. I believe that it won't be too long before the room correction module is available for it also. This is a total re-working of room correction by Dynatron. Peter Lyngdorf has just bought into the company and has been helping them to develop it for a while now. I believe it will only cost about £700 for the internal Room Correction module for the TDA2200.That's going to take some beating. Peter Lyngdorf has recently hired a very highly skilled team of R&D engineers for Lyngdorf Audio and he has a new shop opening in Stuttgart next week. Interesting times ahead. Personally, I can't wait for the 'Blade Amp' due nesxt year.

Ben

13. dreemer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

So Ben have you heard a Tact with a after market Power supply fitted?, and do you use a Big Ben between the tact and your source?

wadia-miester, Apr 29, 2005
  14. dreemer

Hi.
    Yes. I have heard an RCS with a modded supply. Certainly an improvement. I don't use a Room Correction System as in 2.0s or a 2.2x any more. Although it is an excellent product, it is flawed by its power supply and other things. I have used a Big Ben in the past, but again, it is flawed as it uses a similar switching power supply. Money for a Big Ben could be much better spent elsewhere.

I think less is more and I look forwards to the Blade Amp. 1 box, 1 power cord, 1 interconnect, 8 channels(+2 more from outputs if required), room correction, digital x-overs.

Ben

15. dreemer

cab586

anyone that listens to tact amps over an extended period finds out that they are not very musical. seriously wanting in the boogie department. they do though do a lot of other things very well...imaging, bass, resolution.

cab586, Apr 29, 2005
  16. dreemer

I think 'anyone' is a bit of a sweeping generalisation?
    The TDA2200 and SDA2175 are totally different amps and sound totally different too.

alanbeeb, Apr 29, 2005
  17. dreemer

Mine is the most musical system I have ever heard and boogies with the best of them. Sadly, it's easy to kill the sound by poor set up. A room correction system for example is reasonably easy to initially set up, but it takes quite a bit of practice to create a suitable target curve to make it sing. Most users think it's a case of simply loading up one of the many pre-loaded target curves. The next generation of the RCS's should be much simpler to use.

A TDA will sound good, but not excellent until it has been EQ'd

I see where you are coming from about not being so musical, but I think that relates more to the RCS and 2150 amps. The TDA is so much better.

A Stradivarius in the hands of poor musician sounds like sh*te. :guitar:

Ben

18. dreemer

cab586

heard that tact have quietly admitted that their amps aren't that musical and are now going to do something about it.

cab586, Apr 29, 2005
  19. dreemer

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Prehaps Ben would like to demonstrate how musical they have become, I for would would be very interested, I suspect quite a few other too :)

wadia-miester, Apr 29, 2005
  20. dreemer

No problems.
    Bring some of your cables. Digital of course.

Ask a Question