Taking the P***

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Jan 13, 2005.

1. lordsummit

michaelab desafinado

Oh - is the Rothko room in Tate Modern now? Last time I went it was still in The Tate...when there was only one in London :shame:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 18, 2005
  2. lordsummit

sideshowbob Trisha

Tate Modern is a wonderful building, and has some quite good stuff in it, although generally second-rate examples by major artists (most of the best stuff is in the US after all), but the real genius (i.e., the Turner collection) is in Tate Britain.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 18, 2005
  3. lordsummit

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It is. The Tate Modern is well worth a visit. Some of the huge (and I mean huge) installations like the massive red Anish Kapoor sculpture and the more recent "Weather Project" they've had in the Turbine Hall have been worth the visit alone. Nice Cafe too (if a bit expensive).

Uncle Ants, Jan 18, 2005
  4. lordsummit

Philip King Enlightened User

Michael the room in the modern is not as good as the old one in the original. The modern does have some excellent stuff in from time to time. The Satchi(?) down the river also has some wonderful stuff in, including some very good large scale pictures by a Canadian painter in just now, also the oil installation room is quite excellent.

Philip King, Jan 18, 2005
  5. lordsummit

BTW the Tate in st. Ives was a real dissapointment

6. lordsummit

Oh dear. Sounds like I missed out a bit then. I only ever saw it in the modern and it was a bit of a mind blower anyway.

Uncle Ants, Jan 18, 2005
  7. lordsummit

Yes it still is mind blowing, the scale, size and intensity of the pieces is staggering, I think they just had more effect in the old place.

8. lordsummit

Coda II getting there slowly

It really depends what the temporary exhibition is. The Barbara Hepworth was stunning; to look straight out to sea from the gallery and be in the same place that she worked etc....

But yes the permanent collection may not be what you are expecting.

Coda II, Jan 18, 2005
  9. lordsummit

Hey Coda, I was there about two years ago so can not remember what was on display, you are right that it depends on each exhibition. The building though is something else, really quite stunning, good modern design at its best, (shame about the parking though)

10. lordsummit

A rather excellent Fish and Chip shop round the corner though :)

Uncle Ants, Jan 18, 2005
  11. lordsummit

And Cornish pasties!

12. lordsummit

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

It's probably 'cos they're jealous that they never "made it", and because they "couldn't, they taught". That said, our first year teacher (A Level) was great - a real inspiration. He's the one who told me the rule about "justification"; how I managed to mix a landscape of Kingsbridge Estuary into Carter USM's "After the watershed" sleeve design (well, a ripoff of the framework of it) AND justify it is beyond me...

BTW - where are Bush from? Some git stole my binary/CRT dossing piece I'd left lying around in the art room at Exmouth, made it better and released it as an album cover! I was there in 1991 guys - you thieves!!!

Cheers for the directions for the Tate, guys; next time I'm in London...

domfjbrown, Jan 19, 2005
  13. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Teachers don't knock creativity out of pupils, but some pupils especially wayward ones won't take direction just like adults. Remember what Picasso said about art 'you have to be able to follow the rules before you can break the rules'
    Some kids just won't. I've got a kid in my year 11 GCSE group who is so good that Russell Watsons manager took her on and paid for her singing lessons two or three times a week. She lasted about 1 month. Couldn't hack being told how to do things properly. Creativity is a great talent, but useless without application.

lordsummit, Jan 19, 2005
  14. lordsummit

Tom Alves

So it was my fault that my teacher constantly put down anything I tried to do? Thanks. And my wife, who is attempting to become a proffesional artist? What was her problem (apart from being top of class in al subjects apart from art where she was told not to bother, literally)? It doesn't seem to happen in music but art teachers really seem to crush any desire to make art, perhaps it's insecurity.

Tom Alves, Jan 19, 2005
  15. lordsummit

michaelab desafinado

I don't think we should generalise one way or the other. There obviously are teachers who try to crush creativity just as their obviously are pupils who think they know it all and don't need a teacher.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 19, 2005
  16. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Tom as ever there are good and bad teachers. Got to say I meet many more good than bad. I'm not saying that your teacher wasn't, but I do get sick of being blamed for societies ills. Only yesterday R4 were suggesting that it was teachers that needed to teach pupils not to binge drink, it was in fact the fault of the education system that people feel the urge to go out at weekend and get trollied.
    I was head of CPA before I got to where I am now, I have worked with several art teachers all good and all encouraging, perhaps what I picked up on was the word wayward in your quote. I've dealt with and still do deal with many wayward pupils who are good at art. The ones that get places are the ones that learn to use their talent.
    That's why I'm teaching now not performing. Too many nights down the pub, and too many part time jobs earning beer money not practising.
    Anyway sorry for any offence it was no personal attack, but please remember we're not all like the one you dislike

lordsummit, Jan 19, 2005
  17. lordsummit

Tom Alves

Lord S - No offence taken. Many of my friends are teachers and my father was before he got into education policy at government level. I, too, think teachers are sometimes asked to rectify societies ill when the job should lie with the parents etc. And on the whole most teachers are good and some very inspirational. Just is my experience of Art teachers is less gratifying but I suppose that's the natue of art and the various aspects of learning development. and as you say, wayward pupils can be difficult to get focused (although this isn't the case with my neighbour, of course)

Tom Alves, Jan 19, 2005
Ask a Question