Tannoy Westminster Event @ Walrus - meet up

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Dev

Markus S Trade

SM's idea of S&M is probably more like this

[​IMG]

Markus S, Oct 24, 2005
  2. Dev

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I believe he likes S & M with Younger models

wadia-miester, Oct 24, 2005
  3. Dev

penance Arrogant Cock

Hubba Hubba!

penance, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Dev

Dev Moderator

Tony,

Being serious for a moment, I'd say it's nothing more than personal bias. I've been a Tannoy fan since the late seventies, since a former friend of mine demoed a pair of large Tannoys against Bose 901s. At that time the Bose were about three times the price and the said friend was a hifi dealer and tried to tell me just how great they were compared to the Tannoys.

I personally thought how great the Tannoys sounded and how wonderful it would be if I could afford them. Incidentally I became a BMW fan around the same time :). Since then I've heard many many Tannoys and to me they sound "right". The Westminsters were just something else.

This does not mean that I think they are the best speakers ever. I could quite happily live with a number of makes, but I feel an attachment to Tannoys. The bigger the better. I also love the styling of the TD12s and the craftmanship of the Prestine range, my favourite would probably be the Canterbury's.

There you go. No logic, just pure prejudice. Sad or what?

Dev, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Dev

Dev Moderator

Hi Andy,

S&M was a joke. I didn't think it would stick. Should I rephrase this as well? :D.

Dev, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Dev

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Dev,

I wasn't digging, I'm curious to know what you really dig in them, Timpy is a big fan too.
    For me the TD range is a definate no no, but these you listened to on Sat you all liked (forget Thorsen, I've heard one of his set ups (heathrow 2004), he's odder than me LOL!!!) em'
    so what do they do for you, that other don't Dev? T.

wadia-miester, Oct 24, 2005
  7. Dev

Dev Moderator

For me they it was the way they produced very tight bass, no overhang and without any room inter-action. With certain classical music the sense of scale, dynamics, the way the voices sounded. I know I've used the term before but to me the voices sounded so "normal", right and effortless. On one of the tracks we listened to has a fast tabla section that seems to always get muddled up, the notes seem to get mixed up. Not this time, every note was clear. The speakers never sounded loud or fatiguing, even though the volume was high at times. With some speakers I get a headache after a few minutes of listening. On Saturday we listened for over 4 hours.

Dev, Oct 24, 2005
  8. Dev

penance Arrogant Cock

NO!!!

:D

penance, Oct 24, 2005
  9. Dev

Stereo Mic

I'm really sad to have missed Saturday.

From experience, the really big flagship designs from many british manufacturers are light years ahead of less expensive speakers, if only because they can do realistic dynamics without a hint of compresssion.

Large Tannoys seem to be from the old school where tonal authenticity was everything, and are no doubt all the better for it. I like the smaller models I've heard, but most of those suffer from bloated bass in most UK living rooms. I guess the Westminsters couple to the room better, given the 15" drive unit and horn loading.

Markus, I worry about the kind of human being that keeps an image like that on file.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2005
    Stereo Mic, Oct 24, 2005
  10. Dev

Stereo Mic

For those of you who did make it, you might find this entertaining.

Stereo Mic, Oct 24, 2005
Ask a Question