The AV kit is going

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Well, what a weird weekend.

Sorry guys, I think I owe you a little apology, must have been on drugs with this thread.

In short, I'd started off using what seemed like a logical process to improve the system, but completely missed out on a sanity check along the way.

Post my stereo only DVD test I sat down with the missus to watch "Clear and Present Danger".
    The opening sequence is a very atmospheric point with a coastguard ship plowing around in the Atlantic. Listening to it in stereo, it was clearly missing some ambience, despite being detailed and well presented in stereo.
    So, the AV amp was reconnected along with the rear and centre speakers.
    Sure enough, the ambience was terrific, more than making up for the stereo side of things.

So, apols guys for wasting your time. You were dead right and I really must have been taking some odd narcotic without noticing during the weekend.
    My system is now back to full 5.1 channel and I promise not to talk such drivel in future.

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 12, 2004
  2. Mr_Sukebe

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

Well I don't think it has been a total waste of time, you have explored ideas and maybe picked up a few ideas on maybe improving what you have.

I mean you never know what you have until its gone, so at least you know now you would miss the atmosphere that 5.1 brings to movies and you know you can't do without it.

But very glad to hear you've back to 'normal' he he :D

lhatkins, Jan 12, 2004
  3. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

whenever i test stuff i always give it a go and then put what i had back in for a day or two just to make sure the upgrade is worth it. also any activity where you learn something is not a waste of time.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Mr_Sukebe

adam

To appreciate just how good,important 5.1 is,take it all away and try to watch a film just through your tv speaker......spooky wonder how you managed to enjoy films for all thoes years.

adam, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Mr_Sukebe

titian

Well I must say I got a terrible headache when I listened to the 5.1 at that dealer. The subs were so bad that it was like hitting an hammer on a big gong which was placed 10 cm from my ears in a 3 x 3m room.
    I prefer watching films on my TV.
    So I supose a certain quality must be there:rolleyes:

titian, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Mr_Sukebe

lowrider Live music is surround

Most people compare a good stereo with a lousy AV, then they swear AV is crap... :rolleyes:

I feel the same Mr S. did, when I play music in stereo, instead of surround... :JPS:

lowrider, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

that's because you are comparing a good AV setup with a lousy stereo one Antonio:D

merlin, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Mr_Sukebe

titian

Antonio
    I'm afraid I expressed myself in a wrong way.
    I didn't want to mean that all 5.1 are horrible. I just wanted to say that what adam wrote is true only if the 5.1 is a good quality otherwise I prefer my TV loudspeakers.
    I think it is better to have 1 or 2 bad loudspeakers than 6 bad ones...

titian, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Mr_Sukebe

joel Shaman of Signals

Surely you mean anyone with a TV should get rid of it for a couple of days to see what kind of improvement they get :D
    This iswhat I am aiming for, but it is proving harder to do than I expected. However, we shall soon be "upgrading" to a wireless 15-inch TFT for combined TV & computer duties in the lounge / elsewhere :JOEL:

joel, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Mr_Sukebe

Bad loudspeakers are bad loudspeakers, be it 2 or 6, still probably 6 will disguise a little better than too, each will have to do less... :rolleyes:

I think an AV setup can only be as good as its front two channels, so I built mine around the front pair... You have a formidable stereo, so you can built a great AV system, just dont throw bad components at it... :MILD:

I did extensive testing of 4.1 against 5.1, and regardless of having a not so good center, 5.1 still sounded better with DVDs, of course not with stereo CDs, even with DPLII, for those I would disable the center... And I dont mean increased listening spot, it just sounded better, maybe the processor doesnt do such a good job mixing the center info into the front channels... :mad:

Anyway, there are now lots of very good center speakers, the Proac CC2 included, so, if I where you, I would still consider it for your AV system...

As for the TV between the speakers, as long as you have enough room, mine are 10' apart, there is no big problem, but I am longing for a plasma, of course... :cool:

Merlin,

I do have a very good stereo system... :p

lowrider, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Mr_Sukebe

sideshowbob Trisha

Have you tried it without? My speakers were pretty well separated from the TV, and a reasonable distance forward of them, still made a big difference removing it. Improved both the bass and the imaging.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Mr_Sukebe

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I can recommend this appraoch. I got rid of my TV 14 months ago and I haven't missed it yet :D

I have a PC in the living room now and I sometimes use it to watch DVDs on the 17inch LCD display with stereo sound through my hifi. The screen has long leads so I can position it on the coffee table :)

As for TV, I don't miss it at all :cool:

technobear, Jan 13, 2004
  13. Mr_Sukebe

I have to admit I have not tried it, quite impossible, as it is in the living room, and part of the AV/surround system... :eek:

But as stereo image is rock solid, stage spreads well behond speakers and even walls, good depth too, I can safely assume it doesnt spoil things much, bass is fine too with a pair of REL Strata IIIs... :MILD:

If you look at the picture, most people dont have as much room between their speakers, even without TV... ;)

Also, the front speakers are 5'away from the window, and the TV is at least 2'back, anyway, one of this days it will be replaced by a plasma...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2004
    lowrider, Jan 13, 2004
  14. Mr_Sukebe

sideshowbob Trisha

When you do, and hear the results, let me know, so I can say "I told you so" :p

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 13, 2004
  15. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Ian is dead right, removing the TV makes a massive difference.

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 13, 2004
  16. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

Ian all I will say is it is an improvement, but 42" of glass on the wall between the speakers, doesn't do you any favours either:(

merlin, Jan 13, 2004
  17. Mr_Sukebe

michaelab desafinado

I have a huge 32" CRT between my speakers (allthough reasonably far away from them) and I really have never had issues with imaging.

For me, moving the TV is not an option as it's part of an AV system. As far as AV integration compromises go it's one of the most acceptable ones IMO.

I guess using a projector would be the only way to get around the issue totally but projectors are not convenient to use as every day TVs.

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 13, 2004
  18. Mr_Sukebe

Deal... :MILD:

Merlin,

My front "wall" is a 10' window already, and I tried closing the heavy 3 ply courtains without noticeable benefits... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Mr_Sukebe

merlin

Ooh dear Antonio!

that doesn't sound too clever.

merlin, Jan 14, 2004
  20. Mr_Sukebe

julian2002 Muper Soderator

antonio,
    doesn't you amp (krell iirc) have room correction anyway? so surely speaker positioning and reflective surfices are going to matter less surely?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 14, 2004
Ask a Question