The Poll To End it All

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Uncle Ants, Nov 9, 2005.

?

How fed up are you with cable discussions?

1. Yes ... boring, pointless, go round and round and contribute nothing.

38 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. No, I love discussing cables. Every day I learn more about my favourite topic ... cables.

11 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. I use Wifi, me :)

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Ants

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Actually, you will rarely if ever find people who know/believe/assume that cables make a difference and an improvement go out and miltantly agruing how anyone using generic cables is an evil fraudulent person.

They may share their experiences with their cables, but they very rarely will start any discussion of the merits of cables or not.

It is the general dismissal accompanied by suggestions that they are delusional, which causes the "pro cable" people to take a defensive stance.

What really get's the sceptics going though if anyone uses their very own methodology, counters their specious and made up "arguments" and lines of argument and does so with reasonable sucess, at least to cast doubt at the veracity of their dismissal.

At any extent, the start of the action usually comes from flat out denial by the sceptics termed to annoy at least. I have by now seen it so many times, it is highly boring.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  2. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

This is precisely the kind of antagonistic and extremely unhelpful post that makes cable debates rapidly turn into a slagging match. It would not "progress the debate" at all :rolleyes: .

As mosfet has pointed out, this thread about cable debates is itself turning into a cable debate....

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2005
  3. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

Already you're trying to make sceptics out to be the bad guys. Both sides are equally to blame - trying to elevate one side above the other is just as bad as the cable debates themselves.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2005
  4. Uncle Ants

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

My 8 month old puppy died last Saturday..
    Spaniel/collie crosses are just too fast to snuffle around the woods - they get impaled on branches as mine did.

leonard smalls, Nov 10, 2005
  5. Uncle Ants

Stereo Mic

Michael,

It's offensive to suggest someone is deluded. I don't think it's offensive to suggest that science may not hold all the answers, merely controversial.

Stereo Mic, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

But some people clearly are deluded. I think it's a public service to point this fact out to them.

Anyway, debates about nonexistent phenomena always stir the most violent disagreements, and debates about the audibility of different bits of wire are merely one example of that.

At this point, I shall exit this thread immediately :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Uncle Ants

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

What cute ickle puppies :)

But yes you are right. You go away to the caff for a nice cup of coffee a smoke and a tut over the NME, you come back and what happens - a serious thread about why we really don't need any more cable threads turns into another bloody cable thread.

I rest my case. Like religion and politics should never be discussed in polite company I'd like to see some subjects to be taboo on hifi fora. Ain't gonna happen though is it.

Me I think both lots are wrong the sceptics because the nasty freeby wires clearly don't sound the same as something a little nicer for 20 or 30 quid and the believers because you would have to be deluded to imagine that spending upward of 4 figures represents a sensible purchase. But that's the power of this evil ... its even drawn me in :rolleyes:

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Uncle Ants

Stereo Mic

And would you have offered this service to the person on your Avatar?

Stereo Mic, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Uncle Ants

Didn't you know Sideshowbob IS the person in his avatar ... or at least I hope so or my world will collapse.

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Uncle Ants

Dev Moderator

Isn't that sideshowbob's photograph?

Dev, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

Don't f**k with Sun Ra. He's one of the smartest people who ever lived. I have no idea what he thought about cables mind you. I'd much rather talk about him than about bits of wire, it would be great if all cable threads were turned into Sun Ra threads.

So, recommendation number 1, get hold of this:

http://www.espdisk.com/esp4005.html

-- Ian

Edit: why does this board have that stupid naughty word censorship turned on? We're all adults, surely.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
  12. Uncle Ants

michaelab desafinado

It's offensive to suggest someone is deaf. I don't think it's offensive to suggest that there's no real evidence that cable differences are audible, merely controversial.

michaelab, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Uncle Ants

Dev Moderator

In which we should have a wider vocabulary:).

Ian, we know we have under 16s on this forum (and yes, they probably swear more than we do but we should maintain a degree of decorum:D).

Dev, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

I learn all my favourite new swear words from my nephews, and they're mostly under 13. I reckon swearing is great, it should be encouraged.

Knob arse bumholes.

-- Ian

15. Uncle Ants

Hi,

If "not letting others be in peace because you disagree with them" (which is what the "sceptics" [whose scepticism would amuse Hume greatly] are doing, not just in audio and WRT cables) makes someone a "bad guy", than that's what they are.

Note, a true sceptic, one who may say "I don't know, if you want to convince show me evidence" is fine with me.

The average "cable sceptic's" position seems more to be summed up best: "Cables MUST not make a difference because I say so and I am going to make you shut up about cables, if it is the last thing I do!". They are also notablke for very rarely actually admitting to having done any serious experim ents on the subject themselves, they tend to be fond of citing self proclaimed authorities, which often are all but authorities in ANY field.

This BTW makes them not sceptical at all, but militant evangelistic believers and their approach is due to the need to protect a religeous dogma against challenge, no matter what the cost.

And that is nthe problem. No matter where they turn up, militant evangelic believers always cause problems and altercations.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Uncle Ants

Hi,

Nothing be further from me. But he sure was far out, just as George Clinton. Not in a bad way BTW, on the co ntrary.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Uncle Ants

To be honest T, the results of the poll might suggest three quarters of those who have voted consider both the "sceptics" and the "believers" to be bad guys both for banging on and on and on about a subject which has become just too dull for words.

Trains are considerably more interesting, as is Sun Ra ... tell me more sideshow

Uncle Ants, Nov 10, 2005
  18. Uncle Ants

penance Arrogant Cock

IMO there is offensive remarks from both sides, we have people who make stupid ditty's about cables, we have people telling us we are deluded, people telling non-believers they are deaf, non-believers who were believers seem to act like religeous zelot's (like ex-smokers).
    It is tedious, i am sure on both sides.
    What i find really annoying is when a poster asks advice about cables and get jumped on for asking, or someone who is happy and proud about their new cable being told what a waste it was. That is offensive.

This is why i wont be here much more, some new pastures allow people to have an opinion without being laughed at and gagged!

penance, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Uncle Ants

sideshowbob Trisha

What can I say? Born on Saturn, one of the great arrangers and band leaders of modern music. Led the Arkestra for several decades, made (literally) hundreds of LPs, and returned to Saturn in 1993. Lots of info here:

http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~moudry/index.htm

-- Ian

20. Uncle Ants

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I thought you were into that kinda thing you kinky li'l minx! :SWMBO: :spank: :ffrc: :NADowner:

MO!, Nov 10, 2005
Ask a Question