The WAF Factor

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by badchamp, Dec 3, 2003.

1. badchamp

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yeah, that is indeed a DAC64.

Why not get some Mana? Then you could get bright orange boiler suits as well and pretend you work on a Shell platform in the North sea.

Of course your new bride might :micro: your balls ;) And the Mana might well rip them off sonically first anyway (I've never heard any and this is NOT a plug for their racking!!!). I just had to use that word just ONCE (don't ban me please WM!!!).

What about Quadraspire? So it's "1950s tea trolley" according to some people, but I reckon it looks lush in the flesh. Certainly much nicer than the oilrig-esque target stuff I use:
    [​IMG]

Actually, this is an old photo - the new (to me) Target that replaces the JPW one on the left in this image is even more oilrig than that JPW - minging in the extreme, but it works, and I can't afford Quadraspire anyway!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2003
    domfjbrown, Dec 4, 2003
  2. badchamp

michaelab desafinado

The box in the middle is indeed my Chord DAC64 (also in my avatar). The black cube is an MJA Acoustics Pro 50 sub.

...and before anyone asks, the small black box on top of the transport is a Monarchy 48/96 upsampler :)

I'm thinking about putting a slab under the whole rack and then possibly using spikes or maybe some kind of air suspension platform like a Townshend Seismic Sink or a Voodoo isolation platform. Spikes straight into the wooden floor have a habit of digging themselves in unevenly and also leaving nasty holes.

On thing about my rack is that it's not particularly flexible. The real Isoblue racks have optional "extensions" to make a shelf taller but I don't - which can be limiting. The width is also a little limiting - one the amplifiers on my upgrade shortlist (Krell KAV-400xi) is now out because it's too wide to fit - it's bloody 50cm wide!

I really like the look of the Isoblue and TBH that was my main consideration when getting a rack over any sonic benefits but I am pondering possibly replacing it with something different. Finite Elemente Spider possibly but SWMBO will have to be consulted :D

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 4, 2003
  3. badchamp

lowrider Live music is surround

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  4. badchamp

tones compulsive cantater

It looks like You-Know-What, Antonio, except that the members appear to be tubular steel (the now-expired Mana patent specified non-tubular members, presumably to avoid resonances therein).

tones, Dec 4, 2003
  5. badchamp

voodoo OdD

voodoo, Dec 4, 2003
  6. badchamp

MO! MOnkey`ead!

One pence coins are your friend!

and still, no idea what WAF stands for :confused:

MO!, Dec 4, 2003
  7. badchamp

Wife Acceptance Factor... :p

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  8. badchamp

It is solid steel, plus 3 sorbetane feet per shelf, plus spikes to the floor... :MILD:

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
  9. badchamp

tones compulsive cantater

Solid steel !!!! Does it come with its own mobile crane?

tones, Dec 4, 2003
  10. badchamp

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hey dom, are those Rega Ela's in your pic? They look suspiciously like my mates speakers (Rega Ela's funnily enough).

PBirkett, Dec 4, 2003
  11. badchamp

Warren M

Lowrider, if they are made from solid steel then why does it say this on their website:

And:

Warren M, Dec 4, 2003
  12. badchamp

maddog 2

Is it a solid wooden floor or a floating one?

If it's the former you can drill through the wooden floor, down into the concrete and screw in metal rawlbolts, such that the heads are flush with the floor. Your rack spikes can then sit in top of the rawlbolt heads, totally isolated from the wooden floor.

When/if you move house you just remove the rawlbolts and plug the holes with either wood plugs or wood filler, sand and re-varnish.

If you've got floating floors then you can still do something but it's a bigger job.

maddog 2, Dec 4, 2003
  13. badchamp

You could be right... :shame:

The guy who recomended them to me said they have the advantage of beeing solid steel, they are named solid steel, maybe they have different models... :rolleyes:

Still, if one can fill them with sand or whatever, they wont ressonate anyway... :MILD:

lowrider, Dec 4, 2003
Ask a Question