top 100 number ones

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Zoomer, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Zoomer

HenryT

Hi Dean,

I've never heard of her. I think I need to add some Atlantic soul to my collection. I've got a few Motown compilations. Any recommendations for Atlantic samplers/compilations to whet my apetite?

...But I've heard of all those artists.

:eek: Fascinating, never knew that. I think you can guess who I thought did the original version of that track, but now stand corrected. :)

HenryT, Nov 13, 2003
  2. Zoomer

SCIDB Moderator

3. Zoomer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Thommo,

I think Suggs had an easier job when he sang 'waiter' on The return of the Los Palmas 7. :D

It would have been better if they opened it up to all the No.1s. The Beatles would have a few entries. As to what goes in don't think that everyone prefers the Beatles & Elvis to everything else. Different songs mean different things to different people.

If I put down my fave 50 songs, there would be no Elvis or Beatles on the list. They may make it in my top 100 No1s list.

For same reasons as I have mentioned above. Just because the Beatles were one of the biggest groups going doesn't mean everyone is going to like them.

Here is one reason why someone liked the Boyzone tune.

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/G/greatest/singles/index.html

It is interesting what people do vote as their best tunes.

Here are some list of top 100 songs. Most of these have been no. 1. in the UK. Some thinhgs are similar.

http://www.britishhitsingles.com/top100.asp?UID=

http://www.cbsomagh.org/AVCE/WebSites2003/MMcGread/Top100.htm

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Zoomer

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Henry,

Midnight Train to Georgia was written by James Weatherly. It was inspired by the brake up of the famous couple of "Bionic Man" Lee Majors & "Charlie's Angel" Farrah Fawcett Majors, who were friends of James.

He got the idea when Farah told him she was leaving on a midnight plane from L.A. to Houston, going back to her family.

The original song was written as "Midnight Plane to Houston. The song was feature on a 1973 album by James Weatherly.

The Lyrics got changed to "Midnight Train to Georgia" and got recorded by Cissy Houston in 1973.

A year later Gladys Knight released it & this is the most famous version.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Zoomer

thommo

Now, don't get me wrong, I've only just started posting and don't want to get into a snobbery thing here. Yes, different songs mean things to different people, fair enough.

I'm not attempting to say that people prefer the Beatles and/or Elvis to anything else, and I just pulled the Boyzone one out of the air. I was just trying to say (badly) that, if artists were allowed multiple entries (which would be more representative of how the charts work IMO), the more popular artists like the Beatles would squeeze out some of the other (and I'm struggling for descriptions here) less enduring songs that made it into the Top 100.

ie if people were allowed to vote for multiple songs by an artist, would things like Boyzone still be in there? And if they were, would that then skew the choice of songs even more towards the last 4-5 years?

That said, I don't particularly have a problem with Boyzone or that ilk, they're just not really my cup of char, neither is Elvis for that matter. Vive la difference.

thommo, Nov 13, 2003
  6. Zoomer

HenryT

Thanks, will check some of those albums out.

Looks most of the albums you linked to at Amazon have been deleted (or have limited availability). Hmm, wonder if they're available on vinyl, might hunt them out second hand.

I've actually already got some of the really well known classic Atlantic tracks on CD. Do you rememeber the "Blues Brother, Soul Sister" series of compilations that came out a couple of years ago? Well, I've got all 3 CDs from that set, but somehow didn't make the mental connection with Atlantic, because they were released by "Dino Records". I think this is one genre of music that definitely deserves to be listened to on a good old slab on vinyl. :)

Yes, it's the Gladys Knight versions that I'm familiar with. Good track. :MILD:

I always seem to remember Lee Majors more for his role in the cheesey 80's TV series "The Fall Guy" rather than for the Bionic Man (or was it the 10 million dollar man?). :)

HenryT, Nov 13, 2003
  7. Zoomer

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yes

1967 - Massachusesetts
    1968 - I've gotta get a message to you
    1978 - Night Fever
    1979 - Tragedy
    1987 - You Win Again

They have had a lot of near misses too. The ones listed above were just in the UK. In the USA they had 5 Bee Gee's penned songs in the top 5. No other artists have matched that yet. That was in the 1978 at the height of the Night Fever boom.

I wasn't saying that Night Fever has a bad song, I do like it, its just they are probably better Bee Gee's songs but thats like most artists.

amazingtrade, Nov 13, 2003
Ask a Question