Transport for X-Dac V3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rulocal, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Tenson

Do you think the Teac would be a significant improvement,soundwise, compared to the Sony. Aesthetically the little goldSony wins hands down and if sonically they are likely to be pretty close I might be sawyed by looks. For which I am deeply ashamed. :D

rulocal, Aug 23, 2006
  2. rulocal

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

The only downside to a T1, is that they are supposed to be really fussy with finger prints and marked disc's, causing the player to skip, I also believe they won't play CD-RW. Where as the SONY will play CD-RW, and isn't over fussy with marked discs.
    I also own a XDACV3 and went to other route,and use a Meridian 500 Mk2 Transport, but I have also owned a Sony 930QS which has a similar transport,IMO it will make a great transport, and will respond great to mods for the future.
    You would be surprised how well a cheap DVD player sounds as a transport, a PIONEER 575A as an example.The only good news,is you are stuck for choice !

STELLABAGPUSS, Aug 23, 2006
  3. rulocal

rulocal

Cheers Stella. Interesting feedback. I have a Sony DVP-NS930QS DVD player which I will try but i don't want both my Hifi and AV running of the same source. I really am tempted by the Sony CD player although I don't think I would carry out any mods as electronics is not something I know anything about and me an soldering irons don't mix. :(

rulocal, Aug 24, 2006
  4. rulocal

The Sony, I believe is already blessed with low levels of jitter. It's well worth giving your SONY DVD player a try, just for you to play with, and hear for yourself. The real problem you have, is simply the X Ray V3 is a very good transport, even before any mod's.
    The Sony 3000 player is a lovely looking player, one word of warning, and please don't quote me on this, I believe that the Laser units are really hard to obtain, and spares for that matter, no doubt someone of the forum with a bit more knowledge may know more about this, it's just something I read on a forum, and as usual I can't remember !

Let us know how you get on with your SONY DVD

STELLABAGPUSS, Aug 24, 2006
  5. rulocal

rulocal

I will let you know how I get on.

One question about the X-DAC, as you have had one, particularly if I am going to consider using my DVD as a transport. What happens if I feed the DAC a Digital 5.1 or DTS signal. Will it just loop it through where I can send it to my AV amp or will it try and decode it and create an almighty racquet which could damage my equipment if I am (and I am) stupid enough to have my amp on the wrong input. My firend had a Musical Fidelity A32.4 and he did this once and nearly killed all the dogs in the neighbourhood.

Cheers

rulocal, Aug 24, 2006
  6. rulocal

TBH when I had a DVD player as a transport, I only used it for CD's, which only outputs PCM code, so I never ran into that problem. I would imagine going into DVD Players Menus, and changing the Digital Output is the only option. Again it's just a case of you having to get into the habit of checking settings before you press play!

STELLABAGPUSS, Aug 24, 2006
  7. rulocal

Tenson Moderator

If you like the sound you can get another DVD player cheaply enough anyway :)

Tenson, Aug 24, 2006
  8. rulocal

RobHolt Moderator

I don't think that price has much to do with it.

Heavy, costly engineering of the like used in turntables is not required and may actually be a bad thing.
    It's the old question of perception and expectation again. A battleship £5k transport must sound better than £150 NAD right?

Why?

Do we look at the two transports and allow our expectations to dictate what is heard?

RobHolt, Aug 24, 2006
  9. rulocal

rulocal

I have now sold the X-Ray so another transport will be necessary one way or the other.:D

Someone is showing interest in the Sony x3000es now so I will probably miss out on it. Let the search begin.

rulocal, Aug 24, 2006
  10. rulocal

Have a look on ebay, I can recommend the SONY XB930EQS, although it dosen't look as nice as the X3000ES, it has a similar transport, also if your unit ever goes bang, you can always buy another,unlike the 3000ES there are plenty on the 2nd hand market.
    The Units come in 2 Colours,Silver or The more common black. I believe there is a silver one up for auction on ebay at the moment,they normally go for around £70 to £95 mark.

STELLABAGPUSS, Aug 25, 2006
  11. rulocal

rulocal

Cheers.

I saw that. I will monitor the auction and see what happens. The X-Dac and X-PSU have just arrived and to my ears make a substantial difference to the X-Ray on it's own. First impressions suggest a more focused soundstage, tighter and deeper bass and now the speakers just vanish.:D

I am going to have a good listen for a couple of hours and then substitute the X-Ray for the DVD player and see how much I regret selling the X-Ray.

At the moment transport wise I am also looking at a newly serviced Teac T1 for £250 and also a CEC TL51. I have heard good things about the CEC and some guy is selling one paired with the CEC DAC on Ebay. He has no bids at the moment and I have contacted him about having first dibs if he is prepared tp split them. The Sony you mention seems like a riskless punt at that price although the X3000ES is a beauty. With the X3000ES am I paying up for scarcity and looks or do you thing it will be a better sounding transport.

Cheers

rulocal, Aug 25, 2006
  12. rulocal

stickman

If I can remember, when I get back home on Tuesday, I'll do a quick comparison between my TEAC P-30 (as a reference), the P-700 and the X3000ES as transports. And, just for the DVD guys, I'll also try the £17 Tesco "value" DVD player I have.

stickman, Aug 27, 2006
  13. rulocal

rulocal

I would be very interested to hear the results of that comparison. Although, by then, I may have already committed myself to the Sony. Not that that would be the end of the world. It would make a very nice source for a second system.

Regards

Paul

rulocal, Aug 27, 2006
  14. rulocal

Tenson Moderator

Wow I didn't know they had got SO cheap now! How long until the DVD recorders are that price? :D

Tenson, Aug 27, 2006
  15. rulocal

seixip

I am pretty interested in a X-Ray v3. I have a X-150 and many people says that the combination is fantastic.
    Is really that good?

I would appreciate a comment on it

seixip, Aug 28, 2006
  16. rulocal

rulocal

I was very happy with the sound of the X-150/ -Ray combination. A solid performer in all areas. I just had the opportunity to pick up the three little MF boxes for a good price and thought I would give it a go. I definitely would not dissuade you from seeking out an X-Ray to go with your amp. I would leave it a month or so, though, as MF are (shock horror!!_ bringing out a V8 which will weaken the 2nd hand market for the V3.

rulocal, Aug 28, 2006
  17. rulocal

JackOTrades

I would look for a second hand Pioneer 575 universal disc player. They are well known for being pretty solid transports and will read all you throw at them.

You get a cd transport that can play mp3s too, and dvds, sacds, dvd-as (not useable via your dac though) all for probably under a hundred quid.

if you see a 565A they are even better, and have been the base of some serious high-end conversions.

jack

JackOTrades, Aug 30, 2006
  18. rulocal

zanash

A modded xdac v3 needs a good transport ...unmodded its nasal and stodgy with a forward presentation and could get away with a less transport.........

Theres a fine old dac hidden away beneath the Cr*p components ....fit some panasonic FC as a minimum and be gob smacked !

zanash, Aug 30, 2006
  19. rulocal

rulocal

I am actually happy with the sound of the X-Dac, although no doubt improved componentry would improve things.

I have looked into modding but given that I am a danger to myself, not to mention electronic components, with a soldering iron I will have to give it a miss.

rulocal, Aug 30, 2006
  20. rulocal

zanash

Ask a Question