Transport for X-Dac V3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rulocal, Aug 21, 2006.

1. rulocal

Tertonmike

I got an X-DAC to use with an old Arcam Alpha 5 I had ben running for years.

It helped.

A bit.

But when I decided to look at a further upgrade I was easily able to better the combination with a used Jadis Symphonia which I am happily using now without an outboard DAC. It completely blew away the X-DAC, which had me questioning in retrospect just how much of an improvement on the plain old unmodded Alpha 5 it had been; and also made me healthily sceptical of MF hype!!

Still, I flogged the X-DAC on for a decent price, and the experience cured me of the dodgy yen for multi-box digi sources the denizens of this place are so keen on, for which Deo Gratia!!

...You pays yer money and you takes yer choice!

Tertonmike, Aug 30, 2006
  2. rulocal

rulocal

I take your point, albeit mine is actually an X-DAC V3, which is a different beast altogether.

However, I have gone into this as a bit of an experiment, and having paid keen prices for the MF kit will be able to sell on, if I so desire, without losing out.

To my ears the V3improved the sound of the X-Ray V3 and has made my DVD player sound pretty close the the X-Ray V3. Hopefully, with the right transport, I can create something a level above the X-Ray, for about £100.

I am also impressed by the effectiveness of Zanash's mods and will have to look into this further.

rulocal, Aug 30, 2006
  3. rulocal

zanash

the v3 is atotally different beast ! ....as I've the original x dac too, which sit in a box at present, showing how not so good it is.

zanash, Aug 30, 2006
  4. rulocal

Tertonmike

Actually mine was a v3 too. :)

Tertonmike, Aug 31, 2006
Ask a Question