Tt

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by banpe2006, May 4, 2008.

1. banpe2006

banpe2006

Thanks andy, very good to meet you also. Im chuffed with it, it sounds great. Do you suggest changing the needle only and keeping the cart? I dont know whether you mean this, or change the whole cartridge? if just the needle, is it a simple job and are there any types of needle I should consider, or are they all the same? Im going to stick with the arm I think - I like it...its just perhaps the cart / needle that would interest me in a change at this time. Can I simply buy a new cart and "stick it on" or is there lots of trickery involved? cheers banpe2006

banpe2006, May 14, 2008
  2. banpe2006

Andy 831

There is a certain amount of "set up" required when you change a cartridge, however its not too difficult and you will find turntable and arm manuals to download for free at the two sites I emailed you the other day, which explain just whats involved.

The Shure M75 mm cartridge that is in the arm at the moment can just have its stylus replaced. If you remove the headshell and grip it and pull the cream section of the cartridge you will find it pulls out ( pull slightly down and away from the cartridge body.)

Genuine Shure stylii are quite dificult to come by, and copies are also a bit thin on the ground. It calls for a bit of research on t`internet, which is something I was going to do myself but never got round too.

Each stylus is usually bespoke to that particular cartridge, its not a one size fits all solution...... sorry.

Andy 831, May 14, 2008
  3. banpe2006

johnandchris

If you can get hold of a stlyus then go for it, however as already mentioned originals are like rocking horse DO DO.
    The question you have to ask yourself if staying with your current stylus is "can i risk my beuatiful vinyl"? If the answer is yes then stay as you are as you already have a nice setup. If the answer is no, do not play a single album until you have changed it. Dont forget the immense pressure that a diamond exerts on the surface of the record. Every time the needle is in a groove and the rocord is spinning, the vinyl actually melts under the pressure for an instant. Thus if you have a badly set up/damaged stylus, even 1 play of the record can cause major permanent damage (doom and gloom)
    Personally i would not risk it and if you can find a stylus, for the sake of £30 or so, i would swap it. If you cant find a stylus, again personally, i would change cart.

Just the random musings of a fool

John

johnandchris, May 14, 2008
  4. banpe2006

Mark P

Andy,

There's a Knosti record cleaner in the classifieds for £20 (nothing to do with me).

best

Mark

Mark P, May 14, 2008
  5. banpe2006

banpe2006

cheers Mark

banpe2006, May 14, 2008
  6. banpe2006

Andy 831

Banpe ...seriously don`t waste your money on a Disco antistatic. I had one and gave it away. It made cleaning records an absolute chore, and always left a sticky mess in the grooves that the stylus would clog up with for weeks afterwards.

Save your money and buy an Okki Nokki best £175 I have ever spent (2nd Hand nearly £300 new) All IMHO

Andy 831, May 14, 2008
  7. banpe2006

DavidF

I'm not sure if we are talking about nthe same thing but I hvae an "disco antistat" thingy here.

I've had it for years ....it seemed to fairly good job of cleaning vinyl imo.

I seem remember taking some vinyl into a**io excell***e in cardiff when we were there and i remember the lad being quite complimentary about them.

DavidF, May 15, 2008
  8. banpe2006

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

People seem to have mixed experiences with the Disco Antistats - I suspect that plenty, plenty of rinsing with distilled water is the trick, and possibly not being too mean when it comes to recycling the old cleaning fluid.

Uncle Ants, May 15, 2008
Ask a Question