Turntable Recommendations - Midrange Price

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by najeeb, Aug 16, 2004.

1. najeeb

penance Arrogant Cock

Because your the only one who is so damn arrogant, and blind to the real world, try a holistic approach!
    maybe we should return the thread to its original purpose.

penance, Aug 17, 2004
  2. najeeb

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Bub, answer the question:
    I have heard several big Mana systems, but not one at phase 11. Are you claiming that the sound changes at phase 11?

Where am I not speaking from experience?

I particularly enjoyed this latest Bub hypocrisy (hint: The Hippocratic oath doesn't mean you have to be a hypocrite). Bub says LP12 beats everything then says sorry made it up haven't heard any of the others ... still true though my mate told me. Then acuses me of not talking from experience, fantastic form as ever.

Cheers

Jason

Ps. Penance has it about right. I might add something about hypocrisy but then I'd be repeating myself.

ReJoyce, Aug 18, 2004
  3. najeeb

Curt

Still winding up the forum users then Bub :D

Curt

Curt, Aug 18, 2004
  4. najeeb

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Jason. A bit Paxmanesque there?

<sigh!> Yes, phase 11 changes the sound. If it didn't, I'd have sent it back and got a refund by now. You won't believe how good it is (in fact that last bit is literally true).

I have never heard any turntable off Mana sound as good as an LP12 in my system on, say, phase 4 and above. I have never heard any turntable off Mana sound as good as my CDP currently does.

This is not to say that one or more don't exist, but in 20+ years of being interested in hi-fi, I have never come across one. Will that do, or do I have to listen to every TT on Earth to verify my experience?

Where you are not speaking from experience is your abject failure to audition a phase 11 system.

btw, whose phase 7 system was it? Alex's?

The Devil, Aug 18, 2004
  5. najeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

I just have to say, who in their right mind would have 7, or 11 layers of racks in their front room? I have seen fotos, and I fear for the people's sanity, its just not normal. Obsessive compulsive disorder springs to mind.

Lt Cdr Data, Aug 18, 2004
  6. najeeb

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

>>> Hi Jason. A bit Paxmanesque there?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

<sigh!> Yes, phase 11 changes the sound. If it didn't, I'd have sent it back and got a refund by now. You won't believe how good it is (in fact that last bit is literally true).

I am sure it changes the sound but I really am interested in how. As I said before If it is more of the same then not interested if there are some fundamental changes then that is more interested. Perhpas it does take phase 11 before Mana reallyworks?

>>> This is not to say that one or more don't exist, but in 20+ years of being interested in hi-fi, I have never come across one. Will that do, or do I have to listen to every TT on Earth to verify my experience?

No, just wish you'd try to listen to some big lerague decks other than LP12's or Fox's Orbe. And before you ask not just Well Tempered's either. TNT's, Kuzma, Simon Yorke, Roksan TMS ... loads of others ... all offer an interesting take.

>>> Where you are not speaking from experience is your abject failure to audition a phase 11 system.

But where will I hear one? There are probably 5 (Bub, Pog, Fox, JW, Herman, Marco?) in existence? And I'm sure you will understand if I don't particularly want to travel a long way to spend any time with one of those people. I did hear Pog's system briefly but it was in a state of disrepair and so that isn't a true dem.

>>> btw, whose phase 7 system was it? Alex's?

Alex's was one, I guess Alex's doesn't count because he sold his and therefore couldn't set it up correctly. The other was owned by a guy who used to live in Salisbury. Nice guy. His Active SBL's could sound very good. Just not good enough.
    This raises an interesting question. Is it good enough for me to listen to an Isobarik system at phase 11 (most of them are)? I am not a huge fan of the venerable Brik so surely that won't help things?

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Aug 18, 2004
  7. najeeb

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Jason,

The sound change with extra Mana is interesting, and very difficult to describe. As you 'ascend', you get progressively more detail, better dynamics, a lower noise floor, and less distortion. More 'naturalness', more 'musicality'??

I can now play 'Benedictus' from the Naxos Mozart Requiem without ANY distortion on the vocals at all. I've never heard it without distortion before. That's just an example.

Listening to other people's Mana'd-up systems is possibly helpful, but possibly not because you cannot separate out what the Mana is doing from the effects of the room acoustics, mains treatments, cables etc, and obviously the equipment itself. OTOH, Paul Ranson has heard different incarnations of my set-up, with Mana added between his visits, and I would be interested to hear what he thinks of it next time.

The problem is that Mana is a difficult a-b dem, because it IS quite an art to set it up well, and it takes a day or two to 'settle', particularly with heavy equipment.

I understand that you think that you don't like the Mana Effect (which is a function of its dual role as isolator and vibration sink), what I don't understand is why.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2004
    The Devil, Aug 18, 2004
  8. najeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

hmmm I know for a fact they sprinkle pringles with magic dust to make you want more.
    I wonder if mana have found some chemical that diffuses thro your skin when you touch it, convincing you to buy more, and changing your ears :D

Lt Cdr Data, Aug 18, 2004
  9. najeeb

The Devil IHTFP

Interesting theory. How about the theory that it actually works by dissipating/rejecting unwanted vibrations? No, that would be silly.

The Devil, Aug 18, 2004
  10. najeeb

penance Arrogant Cock

as can many other options.
    cat skin etc..

penance, Aug 18, 2004
  11. najeeb

The Devil IHTFP

None that I have heard. That IS the point.

The Devil, Aug 18, 2004
  12. najeeb

penance Arrogant Cock

exactly:rolleyes:

penance, Aug 18, 2004
  13. najeeb

The Devil IHTFP

I've heard most of the competition, penance.

smiley yourself.

The Devil, Aug 18, 2004
  14. najeeb

analoguekid Planet Rush

Andy have your speakers run in yet?

Bub when will you get it into your head that yours is an opinion and not the absolute, some will always disagree, it's the same with medicine i'm sure you will agree, just because someone doesn't like the mana effect it doesn't make them wrong, you perveive yours to be most accurate, others theirs, there is no Hifi standard like the "atomic clock", you like what mana does for you others don't.

So what tt recomendations are you considering Andy, and will they be going on your (inferior?) atacama rack?

analoguekid, Aug 18, 2004
  15. najeeb

penance Arrogant Cock

Yep the kestrels have got a lot better, expefct to see dynaudio's for sale soon.
    Im currently building a TT at the mo, based on Scheu components. Taking some time as i am waiting to find some brass at a good price.
    It wont be on my inferior rack (although it wipes the floor with mana!), i have a wall shelf for it. See here for the details.

Unfortunatly Paul, it will never get into bubs head, he seems to be chasing his own tale. I can only assume it is because the other children wont play with his toys.

penance, Aug 18, 2004
  16. najeeb

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Same for most people, with most of their tastes and opinions!
    I don't the Orbe TT, and can't understand why anyone would spend money on it when there's better options (imo of course, which crucially, I realise!). :confused:
    I quite like the LP12 sound, but prefer the sound of a Clearaudio, or if I could convince the Mrs, a Verdier. :cool:
    I don't see why anyone would spend £000s on bits of wire for mains or signal :confused:
    I can't stand oysters, but love cheese that's almost liquid, stinks and is about 5 years past the definition of mouldy... :JPS:
    But what I really can't understand is how folks are so violently stuck with their opinion, and don't have any sort of feel for "each to their own"... That's the beginning of intolerance and prejudice, and look where that leads :(
    Mellow, that's what I say!

leonard smalls, Aug 18, 2004
  17. najeeb

dominicT former member

can we not just cut and paste a previous mana thread each time bub goes off on one as it will save everyone a LOT of typing!

dominicT, Aug 18, 2004
  18. najeeb

penance Arrogant Cock

gagging or finger removal would be a better/more permanent idea

penance, Aug 18, 2004
  19. najeeb

greg Its a G thing

The greatest illustration of ignorance I have encountered recently. You remind me of my eight year old daughter. :D

greg, Aug 19, 2004
  20. najeeb

greg Its a G thing

Ditto

greg, Aug 19, 2004
Ask a Question