Turntables & vinyl: just a fashion thing or a sincere appreciation for the sound?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lawrie, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Lawrie

notaclue

I'd say it was probably bad. You are letting issues of sound quality affect your judgement on the artistic merits of the music...or something...

notaclue, Feb 4, 2004
  2. Lawrie

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Re: While we're at it...

Sounds about right. Some people would spend a small country's education budget, to get a system which will reproduce the sound of a toilet flushing to such a level of hi fidelity you can almost smell the poo.

Uhoh. Yeah, lets start a civil war ;) Musos v. Technerds.

Uncle Ants, Feb 4, 2004
  3. Lawrie

RDD Longterm Lurker

The Devil

Little defensive there aren't you!! I wasn't aiming my comment at you directly, more to all posters claiming "night and day" differences and their inability to listen to CD due to it sounding worse than nails down a blackboard. For the record I totally agree with what you said.

Uncle Ants

Thats exactly what I was saying :)

All I'm saying (like Tones) is that I can fully apreciate music on both formats, neither is better than the other IMHO. That's not the issue as I see it anyway, CD V's Vinyl threads have been done to death :SLEEP:

RDD, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Lawrie

tones compulsive cantater

Corrected version:

"The differences are fairly subtle, but having said that, easily appreciated by some of us".

Others of us can't hear them, James, but don't feel the lack. As I say, I really do feel sorry for you if you can't bear listening to a CD after listening to an LP. That would drive me mad. I listen to what I want all the time, in whatever order I want.

tones, Feb 4, 2004
  5. Lawrie

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Na fox, my problem is the record I want to play I can't find, until such time as I don't want to play it anymore.

When I had less records I organised them once, but now, its to hard to much effort, so they just get put back where ever.

garyi, Feb 4, 2004
  6. Lawrie

Funny. Its exactly the opposite way round for me. :)

Mine used to be all over the place but as they expanded I had to organise em or I could never find anything especially in the days when I partook :MILD: ). I pull out records as and when and leave them propped up near the system until propped up pile becomes too much and then file em all back again (about once a month :rolleyes: )

Uncle Ants, Feb 4, 2004
  7. Lawrie

merlin

Hi Paul,

great response and just what I was thinking. You do not need a great system to enjoy great music, it's about time the "all about the music" crowd accepted that they are deluding themselves (myself included) IMO

merlin, Feb 4, 2004
  8. Lawrie

I'm sure I'm deluding myself. Probably got a lot to do with going to too many live gigs and periodically buggering your ears up so's the real hifi guys can dismiss anything that's said with a dismissive - "well what would he know he's half deaf anyway" :(

Uncle Ants, Feb 4, 2004
  9. Lawrie

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I got to the stage that the records were roughly in alphabetical order, i.e. all the 'Bs' were together, but not sorted within that, and also confusingly going right to left as they had previously been in plastic tubs on the floor (so A was at the front, i.e the wrong way for shelves) - I was just too lazy to sort them out properly when I shelved them up years back.

After what must be 25-30 years of record collecting with this rough ordering I was getting so pissed off with not being able to find anything without effort. I actually spent many hours hard labour a few weeks ago really sorting the things into proper order - they are the now right way round in strict alphabetical order. I now try to remember to pull the sleeve of the record next to the one I'm playing out a little so I can easily remember where it goes back. I found a lot of stuff I had totally forgotten about while I did it which was cool… The CDs and 12" singles are still a total mess...

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 5, 2004
  10. Lawrie

With classical LPs it's easy - alphabetical in composer and major artist order. So records by trumpeter Maurice André will come after Albeniz and before Bach, and the King's Singers are between Haydn and Mahler. Collections go at random order at the end.

tones, Feb 5, 2004
  11. Lawrie

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I've gone composer, work, conductor (or ensemble name if no conductor), then date.

I was very tempted to mix everything up genre wise and just file everything alphabetically, but I ended up keeping stuff in categories. I've got rock (which has punk, Kraut, pshych, dance, reggae etc all mixed up), jazz, classical, exotica (weird 50-60s nonsense) and odd shapes (boxes, 10â€Â, 7†etc).

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 5, 2004
  12. Lawrie

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

That's exactly what I've been doing for years - simply because unlike you guys, there's no way in HELL I can read the writing on the spine of the LP (and most of the ones I have are battered secondhand, so unreadable anyway!).

I order by artist, then chronologically, so dIRE sTRAITS starts off with dIRE sTRAITS and Kate Bush starts off with The kick inside etc.

I also order like this with CDs, but have 2 racks in separate alpha order!! Oops...

domfjbrown, Feb 5, 2004
  13. Lawrie

titian

Well I don't have a large collection of LPs (I think about 7) but every time I have to switch back to them (from CD), I feel reborn. :boogie:
    This was again this week after nearly one month of CD listening. Tomorrow my CD-player will go to a show but I won't miss it (any way only 4 days).
    For me there is no doubt which format is better in quality.
    Good to hear about the vinyl revival, I just wish that the new recordings of classical music would be released also on vinyl. I would certainly buy a couple of them but this will remain a dream.

titian, Feb 5, 2004
  14. Lawrie

:ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc::ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:

How many zeroes did you omit, Titian?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2004
    tones, Feb 5, 2004
  15. Lawrie

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Excellent thread.

Buying vinyl definitely is more of an event... the longer time it takes to sift through the racks searching for that elusive bargain, the buzz of finding something, whether for yourself or for someone who's with you, it takes up a lot more time to sift through purchases than if you've got CDs, and, as someone rightly said, it feels like more of a substantial purchase even though often it's a lot cheaper, it won't hide amongst the rest of your shopping so you get people asking stupid questions like, "are you a DJ?" because you've got a bagful of records...

As for the respective merits in terms of sound, the White Stripes latest definitely was leagues ahead on vinyl, and it shouldn't be really as it's so recent a release. It's the only recent release I've got to enable a comparison such as that, on older stuff, Fishermans Blues on vinyl trounces the CD copy although I believe a remaster is due which may narrow the gap somewhat.

Bottom line though, is that there's stuff available on each format that you can't get on the other, so both are necessary really.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2004
    ilockyer, Feb 5, 2004
  16. Lawrie

PeteH Natural Blue

I file my CDs the same way as they're arranged in the Penguin and Gramophone CD guides: composers alphabetical, and for each composer concertante - orchestral - chamber - instrumental - vocal. Works for me anyway... And I always leave the case of the CD in the player sticking half out of the shelf to make it easier to find when I'm putting it back / remind me what's in if I've been out etc.

PeteH, Feb 5, 2004
  17. Lawrie

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Bottom line though, is that there's stuff available on each format that you can't get on the other, so both are necessary really. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah I get such enjoyment I don't get from CD or digital format, I guess to me digital just feels a tad souless. I still need a CD player though and CD is my main format.

amazingtrade, Feb 6, 2004
  18. Lawrie

auric FOSS

For me the act of buying records is both tactile (turning the disk over and over whilst looking for scratches and ingrained crud) and social (buy some records and then do a few pints of beer), what better way to spend money on a Saturday afternoon? Somehow CD's just don't seem so substantial because with records you get something big and heavy in exchange for your cash so it seems like a better buy.

Auric:)

auric, Feb 6, 2004
  19. Lawrie

Snoo

Snoo, Feb 6, 2004
  20. Lawrie

The Devil IHTFP

If it were possible (and feasible) to have a choice of two options as follows:

1. Ditch my vinyl collection (& TT) & replace it all with CDs, or

2. Ditch my CD collection (& CDP) & replace it all with vinyl.

I would choose option 2.

But life isn't like that.

The Devil, Feb 6, 2004
Ask a Question