Upgrading my Valve pre amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Darren, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Darren

blakeaudio

there seems to be a misconception about the minimax being a kit that is available built in built form. it is actually just a complete built unit....

also the price from the european distributor, is just that, a distributors price, ie. less the retail mark up, which in this country is clearly 100%!

i just wanted to make it clear that the minimax is not the cheapo option, just that by buying it from the distributor, you get a fantastic deal.

and it does sound fantastic!!! it is a choke filtererd power supply.

ps. i don't mean to sound like i'm talking my own book here, it's just that this is a fantastic sounding, if basic on features unit. i have been pleased as punch with mine, and feel that the company deserves all the kudos it gets.

and for what its worth, i considered the basie too. just liked the slightly more purist take that the mm seemed to offer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2004
    blakeaudio, Jun 26, 2004
  2. Darren

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi!

I didnt mean to imply it was a built up kit when I used the words 'built up'.. just that it is pre-built (as opposed to being a kit) !

NB
    The price of 400 ish is fantastic I agree, if I were starting over, Id probably get one myself (although Id be tempted to hear it against a basie and the grounded grid). That 3-way shootout would be really a battle amongst giants IMHO

bottleneck, Jun 26, 2004
  3. Darren

blakeaudio

i'd be more than happy to provide the mm for the shootout if anyone has the other pieces. i would be fascinated to hear the differences! when i made my choice it was really between these three anyway, but i have to admit that i never got a chance to hear the other two. i'm very happy with my selection, but you always have that curiosity about the others!!

blakeaudio, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Darren

Darren

Many thanks to all who contributed their time and expertise to this thread. I have decided to have my Croft pre modded to a higher level - got to think about this carefully.

In addition, I have purchased an Audio Synthesis passive (with the silver wire/ Vishay bulk foil resistor L - Pad attenuator) at the right price; for my amusement in the meantime.

Thanks again guys - I will return the favour if I can.

Darren

Darren, Jul 5, 2004
  5. Darren

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

bottleneck, Jul 5, 2004
  6. Darren

Darren

Cheers Bottleneck,

may your triodes always glow brightly.

Darren

Darren, Jul 5, 2004
Ask a Question