Von Schweikert VR-1

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jimbo, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Oh dear I hope I have'nt started anything.Jimbo.

Jimbo, Feb 9, 2006
  2. Jimbo

Saab

'great story'

And thats exactly what it is,a story.

Saab, Feb 9, 2006
  3. Jimbo

Stereo Mic

Ah Dave,

So if it's just a story, surely one would expect the grand Dr to sue.

No? Must be true then - the bit about outstanding loans I mean.

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Jimbo

Saab

Not a lot in there he could sue for,its a very cleverly written piece,fair play.It is an interesting read,I agree with you.

Saab, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo

Tell me what the soundstage is like the drums the cymbals the voices the guitars the organs or I will sue.Jimbo.:SLEEP:

Jimbo, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Jimbo

badchamp Thermionic Member

Equally if the Authorities were convinced of fraud they would have acted against Von Schweikert. Give it a break Mike we have indeed been through this episode before.

I hope you subject every company you buy from to the same rigorous investigation - or is it just speaker companies :D

But back to the point of the thread, Jimbo did you make a bid ? I know it seems like a bit of a leap in the dark, but I think (certainly at the current price although it is likely to go up a bit towards the end I would think), I think the downside of the VR-1/ Tallis combo is pretty small and totally non-existent compared to the Epos. Hey, you could even put the Tallis under the Epos :D if you don't like the VR-1 and sell the VR-1 on.

I think the only thing to watch out for is that the VR-1 are I suspect going to be much more revealing than the Epos (which I must confess I haven't heard) so you'll hear more of what the system is putting out - including it's deficiences. But as I said in post 20 IMO in the medium to long term they'll take a lot of upgrading before they let the rest of the side down. There will always be better speakers around but for the money these are an excellent bet.

Love to all :rolleyes: :D
    Jeff

badchamp, Feb 9, 2006
  7. Jimbo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

jimbo

there are a pair of ES30's on ebay at the moment.

thought it worth mentioning in case you want the same as what you have, but with a little more.

another alternative, have you thought about adding a sub to the es11's?

I really like ES11's so I'm a little biased here.

bottleneck, Feb 9, 2006
  8. Jimbo

Stereo Mic

Funnily enough Jeff I do. I fully understand that the VR owners on the forum feel the need to defend their purchase. I'm just here to provide balance.

Stereo Mic, Feb 10, 2006
  9. Jimbo

ListeningEar

I think the word 'balance' is a bit rich! You have been quite aggressive against VSA using just vindictive and biased web reports. Unless you have had first hand working with audio companies in a strategic management/executive role I doubt whether many really know what goes on.

We all want balance but you are not going to get it from reading reports like this, it's only in the proof of the pudding. So what I suggest is that we agree to disagree, you eat your puddng and I'll eat mine ;)

Oh, and by the way, that Stereophile article was a very carefully draughted piece of sensationalist journalism directed at a company who refused to adveryised with said magazine. Funny, if you were to go to CES and T.H.E. Show now each year, the Stereophile people are the first to appear to be Albert's best friends!

In fact, if you can afford it, rather than making negative statements from your keyboard Mr. Mic, I would recommend that rather than taking my, or anyone else's word for it you get yourself over to that show and see for yourself.

Finally, Badchamp hit upon a very valid point too, the VSA speakers are very revealing (as WadiaMaster and his friend discovered).

ListeningEar, Feb 10, 2006
  10. Jimbo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

LE,

I won't say they were the last word though in revealing by any means. Though this depends on what you use as your reference LE so for you they may well be. I'm not doubtimng that at all.
    However, if you have the room and the patience they (V/S) can produce some 1/2 decent results for sure. Personally I'll take the BHII's any day over the 4 SE's.
    However I like my music a specific way, others may well prefer the V/S and its presentation traits to the Meadowlarks.
    Hifi, don't you just love it!!! Wm

wadia-miester, Feb 10, 2006
  11. Jimbo

Stereo Mic

I'd agree with WM, I have heard, and indeed own, far more revealing speakers than the VR-1's (although I have not heard them in the same reference system but the difference is enormous)

Stereo Mic, Feb 10, 2006
  12. Jimbo

Saab

Lol,you mean you read some users posting some views between themselves and you decided to amuse yourself and have some fun? :) Come on,don't take us for idiots,its the usual forum antics of a school bully,but sadly it does indeed add some balance.But don't build your part up into some internet truth crusader,its rather demeaning and below you,or maybe it isn't.Jimbo wanted some views and instead you felt the need to discuss a flood in the US? This adds balance? How exactly? Just in case Jimbo over fills his washer?

We are talking about some speakers for about 400 quid,not some exotica from Audiophile nobland.All this 'I've heard some far more revealing speakers blah blah blah' is internet posturing at its most absurd and is utterly hilarious.:)

Calm down Mr Mic,you didn't add any balance,your ego got the better of you.

Saab, Feb 10, 2006
  13. Jimbo

Stereo Mic

Grow up Dave

Stereo Mic, Feb 10, 2006
  14. Jimbo

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Mike - I think you've made your point. Perhaps this thread could be left to discussion of the acoustic merits (or lack of. I've not heard them and pass no judgement) of the speakers in question?

I-S, Feb 10, 2006
  15. Jimbo

Jimbo

Lost out on the VR1s just been sold. :( I was going to make my move tommorrow, just shows if you want something dont wait.Ended early was a buy it now of £475. Poss. sold them somewhere else. Perhaps for the better I should dem them first and compare to the Epos's. I would like to listen to Harbeth M30s (Compact 7s too big for my room),ATC, and Shahinian all a bit more expensive than the VR1s.
    Have you any experiences of these brands and comparisons with the VR1s. Perhaps Listeningear you have heard some of them in your trade days. Thanks Jimbo.

Jimbo, Feb 11, 2006
  16. Jimbo

Saab

It was just some 'sport' on his part.At no point did Jimbo ask for an opinion as to which are the most revealing speakers were for around 500 quid,or whether a flood in the factory would effect performance,yet he received this helpful advice.But of course its me who was been juvenile................

Sorry to hear it Jimbo,what about the stands?

Saab, Feb 11, 2006
  17. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dont think I will bother with the stands Dave. Who knows I may not like the VR-1s then will have stands doing nothing. I am waiting for an Esound CD-E5 at the moment which funnily enough has the same description as the VR-1s in having wide and deep sound stage, deep bass. warm midband. Or does this discribe all hi fi. Will have to wait and see. After the cd player has settled in I will do some serious listening to new speakers as I think they are the most inportant part of the chain. Jimbo.

Jimbo, Feb 11, 2006
  18. Jimbo

Jimbo

Jimbo, Feb 11, 2006
  19. Jimbo

ListeningEar

Sorry to hear you lost out Jimbo, hope some others opinions on here will not disuade you from ever hearing a pair of VSA speakers if you get the opportunity. Simon Phipps who runs the UK agency for VSA mentioned to me in our last telephone conversation that he is hoping to have a good VSA exhibit at the Hi-Fi News show at Heathrow later this year. I think he may be setting these up with Lumley (or is it LAMM,...can't remember) amps and Wadia
    digital source, but not entirely sure, I know he carries Lumley's or LAMM's and his personal preference for a digital front-end is Wadia.

However, there is a wealth of knowledge, experience and talent on this forum to give you plenty more opinions on other speakers that could fit your requirements.

It's been a pretty good debate guys, just worth noting though, that anyone ever relying on purely Internet based information as a guide needs to be very careful. You only have to look at the policy for any higher level education work on references to realise that web quotes are not the most reliable form of facts.

Stereo Mic, your morals don't offend me, I don't know you enough to make any kind of judgement call on your moral principles, I was just simply making a statement about your grammatical terminology. As for the VR-1 being highly revealing, yes it is somewhat, but my earlier comments about 'revealing qualities' was primarily directed at WadiaMasters experience on the VR-4's.

Hope we are all still friends, beer at the next audio show anyone? ;) (although I don't drink myself).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
    ListeningEar, Feb 11, 2006
  20. Jimbo

Jimbo

Jimbo, Feb 22, 2006
Ask a Question