We have a problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by garyi, Apr 3, 2004.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Mr Sukabe. The CDi did sound off when I saw you. It went to naim not long after and the powersupply was fixed. Also the room is changed now so you don't sit right on the speakers, I have to say this makes a tremendous difference. I don't know Merlins opinion of the sound, he's not a naim man so fair enough, but I feel the CDi sounded good, the DAC64 was just a lot better.

Mo. I am in the process of selling the CDi right now.

Paul. I do have plenty of CDplayer listens under my belt including a CD5 and powersupply in my own system. Alas, this is what I want to do. The mac has already proven itself the business and in front of me right now I have a database created for me by a cheap shareware app which lists all my tunes and album covers in order, click the tune off it goes.
    What I want is a solution, right now I could have this all sorted in the short term for £350. Its not going to be like that with even a second hand CDX

In all honesty we have been playing music we forgot we had. ;)

garyi, Apr 4, 2004
  2. garyi

garyi, Apr 4, 2004
  3. garyi

merlin

Well Gary. sorry to screw things up for you!

I guess we did manage to answer a few questions in the end. One is that hard drive sourced music is definately coming to a hifi near you soon. At the end of the day, theoretically there's no reason why it shouldn't work, and I too was surprised just how comprehensively the MacDac demolished the Naim CD player.

I can now understand why many Naim dealers I speak to say they sell so many Dac64's - it's strengths clearly dovetail well with the Salisbury kit.

For those with a quality dac and working PC, I say give it a go! If music is your first concern, the accessability this setup gives is a real boon. For me, well music server here I come (only cheaply as funds are tight!)

It was good to meet Gary, although I feel the jibes should certainly continue:D Top bloke with excellent music tastes. For the Dac, well I guess you need to try some alternatives. I like the look of the M Audio Firewire job. Only £200 and there is the possibility that the use of a firewire connection will help out with any jitter related issues in much the same way as the Chord's buffer. But I'm only hypothesising and hands on experience is required. Tell you what Gary, why not get one and if you don't like it, I will need one anyway for my Powerbook?

Oh and start saving for a Dac64!

Cheers

PS. Whilst the room does still scream Lawrence to me, somehow I cannot see Gary wearing frilly cuffs, or for that matter, LLB downing pints and listening to OTT and hardcore drum & bass. So I guess I'll have to stick to ripping Naim kit in future;)

merlin, Apr 4, 2004
  4. garyi

Snigger, I still like the colour purple.

garyi, Apr 4, 2004
Ask a Question