What anti-Virus to get?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rodrigo de Sá, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Rodrigo de Sá

Bumboy

Then I will surely go to hell.

Governments steal oil. I steal media.

Bumboy, Mar 1, 2004
  2. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

Thank you all for the input.

Now I think I will try dot32. Is there a link to how to acquire it? I did a google search and it came up with everything (including Zippo lighters!) but not with an anti virus.

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 3, 2004
  3. Rodrigo de Sá

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Do you mean Nod32?

technobear, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Rodrigo de Sá

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

:shame: :NADowner: Yes, I do! :shame:

I suppose I am looking for this?

Curious that I never heard of it before. Really, not that curious. I don't care a fig about computers: I just use them. :nuno:

Rodrigo de Sá, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Rodrigo de Sá

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Oh Oh, I know the answer to this question, get a mac.

There are around 16 viruses for Mac, PC people would like you to believe its because hackers like to target the biggest company. However Mac is not small, but it has made the effort to keep its computers secure.

MIcrosoft are fire fighting all the time.

garyi, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Rodrigo de Sá

Sid and Coke

I use Norton AV both at work and at home and it seems to work OK. It automatically updates itself whilst i am connected to the internet so i always have the latest virus definitions. I have started to access all of my e-mail at the BT-Yahoo mail/homepage rather than open outlook or outlook express on my home computer. This method seem to snag any Virus laden e-mails before my own computer sees them ( i think :eek: ). I checked my web mail whilst at work and got two dodgy ones earlier on this week, but binned them remotely at work whilst my own computer was sleeping safely at home.
    Norton Anti -Virus doesn't have to be that expensive.
    I bought Norton System Works pro 2003 the other day on e-bay for just £9 all inc. ( seller had a 99.99999% 3,500+ Positive feedback rating). It was the genuine article which i've since registered and came with one year of free updates. Another thing that i have noticed with norton is that if you un-install and then re-install the product ( i've had to do this for genuine reasons ) when you re-install it, it seems to treat it just like day one and re-satrts your subscription period. Whatever product you get the subscription period starts on the install/re-register date. So my cheap copy of Norton Av 2003 is just as effective as Norton AV 2004.

I'm a bit of a computer duffer, but i think that most of what i've said is pukka.

Sid and Coke, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Rodrigo de Sá

michaelab desafinado

Using webmail is a very good way to prevent viruses reaching your PC, especially the "scripting" type that rely on the "features" of Outlook Express. If you're silly enough to open an attachment from an unknown source though the virus will come through just the same via webmail.

I only use the web interface to my e-mail account these days.

What you said about install/re-install of Norton is also true and I recently benefitted when I rebuilt my PC from scratch and my subscription started all over again :)

Gary - not everyone can just "get a mac" even if they wanted to. The virus problem isn't a PC problem anyway, it's a user problem. I've never had a virus infect or attempt to infect my machine - ever.

Also, of course it's because virus writers target the biggest installed base of users (roughly 95% of all home computers). If someone were going to write a virus why would they write one that only worked on 5% of the world's PCs instead of 95% of them? If Microsoft software is so insecure and bug ridden what about Internet Explorer and Outlook Express (not to mention Office) for Mac? I suppose Microsoft writes special secure versions for Mac that they don't think PC users would be interested in? :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Rodrigo de Sá

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

INteresting Michael.

However you arn't really thinking this through are you. MS products for mac may look the same but they are completly different programming built upon Mac OSX and UNIX. Therefore by default it is more secure than Windows.

Perhaps you wish to argue that Outlook et all on Windows is very secure, I would argue that it is not as evidenced by the continues streams of patches coming out all the time from MS, I notice also that Entourage for mac (Outlook) has only had two updates since being released.

Basically if the base is right in the first place its a lot easier to build a secure product, something the mac excels in.

I would also point out that 70% of all media is done on macs, what a great platform therefore to hit and screw up a whole lot of newspapers/film/ etc etc.

garyi, Mar 4, 2004
Ask a Question