What is HiFi ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Nov 19, 2007.

1. zanash

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It could also be bollocks. Convince me its not.

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  2. zanash

Stereo Mic

You said 20% distortion was not hifi. Name me a sensibly priced speaker that can realistically play back a variety of music without that handicap.

Stereo Mic, Nov 19, 2007
  3. zanash

I said a £20 piece of crap from Tescos was Hifi.

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  4. zanash

Stereo Mic

Good for you.

Stereo Mic, Nov 19, 2007
  5. zanash

So what are you saying? That only really expensive speakers could be considered HiFi ... in its purest form of course?

PS. I don't know about naming speakers not so handicapped - its not my habit to measure them. Currently I'm listening to an old set of Spendor S100s - they cost me £650 - they seem to be able to play a wide variety of music -maybe I should just go down Tescos.

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  6. zanash

Stereo Mic

Stereo Mic, Nov 19, 2007
  7. zanash

I don't think I presented a choice except perhaps yes or no. Is it yes? or is it no?

Sorry, I misunderstood ... you posted a link to a list of speaker reviews. PLease explain?

I still would like to know if you genuinely believe that only the most expensive speakers are Hifi ... in its purest form?

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  8. zanash

Stereo Mic

Waiting

Stereo Mic, Nov 19, 2007
  9. zanash

The Devil IHTFP

Uncle Ants, you are being sucked into the Mike Pinchen pit of despair.

Just walk away backwards very slowly, smiling & nodding.

The Devil, Nov 19, 2007
  10. zanash

er ... waiting for what? I know that a lot of them ain't so good right down at the bottom register, but does it really signify, not like distortion in the mid range would. Or does it? I really don't know. I bet you do though.

Seriously though I thought it was a rhetorical question. ... Do you actually expect me to know (or even care that much) what the distortion figures for different speakers are? Surely no one would be anal enough to think otherwise would they?... and that IS a rhetorical question by the way.

You haven't answered my question either and that was quite a lot more straightforward.

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  11. zanash

You are right. I'm off . BTW lads, keep up the good work in the Turntable thread. It has had the rather excellent effect of drawing off all the know all, smug, know nothing, bullying eedjits in forum world into one place. It'd be good if it all stayed there. tara.

Uncle Ants, Nov 19, 2007
  12. zanash

DavidF

I wouldn't spend the earth on either as

1) a car is too easily damaged/keyed/nicked and besides a huge input of £ leads to high deprecation

= a waste :(

I might run with a nice mid range merc though :D

(+range rover superchardeg+ 6 cyl bmw (old shape) +60s/70s classic cars/MGB/Vitesse :D)

2) £25k ona pair of speakers is missing the point as far as I am concerned.

I'd go £1000 on speakers, maybe a little more on other bits......but I get most fun out of getting what I can out of what I have got.

Correct...

.....but don't go too far, UA

:)

Your country needs you.

:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
    DavidF, Nov 20, 2007
  13. zanash

JCL

I think you're right. Mic is usually full of hardline logic but he's on crackhead wind-up here :D I think he's saying that you've gotta spend serious cash to get serious no compromise performance but I don't think that's the case. Well it could be but it doesn't matter a toss to me as I'd love to own a number of speakers that people say are coloured, missing lower octaves etc.

JCL, Nov 20, 2007
  14. zanash

zanash

So forgive me if I'm being dense .......we appear to have one for the argument and a number against. I'd suggest at this point the one for has been unable to convince the majority.

I also find it very odd that someone with such an in depth knowledge of the field of hifi would find themselves so far out side the general rational of the average audio buff, but then it takes all sorts ....

So when does lofi become hifi ?

do we consider the nad 3020 as hifi in the same way that the general concensus is that tesco midi units are not.

It always bothered me that midi units were at one time considered non fi ....at the time all my components were midi sized quad !

zanash, Nov 20, 2007
  15. zanash

Stereo Mic

I would suggest that the one really can't be arsed arguing with fools Zanash, except when they post ridiculous claims relating to foo foo for profit.

If you or anyone else wants to consider a Bose clock radio to be hifi, that's fine with me - it's all about points of reference after all.

By the way, who was this associate who claimed you had to spend £25K on speakers to enjoy a system and can you link to the post? I have a feeling it's one of those myths your perpetrate in your battle for business but there you go.

Stereo Mic, Nov 20, 2007
  16. zanash

titian

Hi fi is short for High Fidelity which basically is very subjective. Everybody means something else. Today even the cheapest system can give a reasonable amount of high fidelity. This according to the ears of certain people. Those who have other requirements for sound reproduction won't agree about calling the cheapest systems hifi.

I believe this terminology has more a very powerful impact to the pycho of people than it really is. It seems that people are very focused that what they bought is absolutely good and that they need a certain confermation about it. Therefore the value of hifi becomes immense or at least much more important than what it actually is.

The fact that the discussion is already getting hot, is a confirmation that the pride is taking over the hands of this thread.
    The fact that someone says that hifi starts at 100k, shouldn't disturb anybody. It is a personal matter and doesn't affect the quality of anybody's system.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2007
    titian, Nov 20, 2007
  17. zanash

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

To me HIFI is products that are designed for sound quality. Compromises will appear but to me a £150 Cambridge amp is pure HIFI as its purely built for sound quality. In cheap mini systems sound quality is the last concern.

amazingtrade, Nov 20, 2007
  18. zanash

nando nando

forgive my ignorance, but is not something you lissen to music on?or maybe a mag !!!! very interesting,
    nando

nando, Nov 20, 2007
  19. zanash

mr cat Member of the month

in a very simplistic view - couldn't hifi be defined as some thing that contains seperates, or at least seperate speakers..? - anything lower would classified as a ghetto blaster..?

wouldn't a mini /midi system be called a hifi..? of course it depnds on who you speak to...

mr cat, Nov 20, 2007
  20. zanash

dudywoxer Regaholic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Nov 20, 2007
Ask a Question