What is the best phono stage you have heard?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by hifi addict, Feb 2, 2008.

1. hifi addict

anon_bb Honey Badger

Is the allnic the one you played for HFA?

anon_bb, Feb 4, 2008
  2. hifi addict

hifi addict

Yes! Yes! Yes! oooooh Yes!

I have listened to mast things up to the boulder and this is the one that did it for me.

hifi addict, Feb 4, 2008
  3. hifi addict

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

There's loads I haven't tried but after a serious spell of sorting myself out a good sounding phono stage I played with a range of Graham Slee, Tom Evans and a rare Audio Synthesis phono. But the combination that finally worked for me was EAR (Esoteric Audio Research). I picked up an 834P and an MC3 transformer stepup and this with the MM option (nb not using the EAR MC option) was excellent. I bought an 864 pre - excellent sound but then I had a real surprise - I found an ancient EAR 802 preamp (now current preamp in system, incidentally) and found it a league ahead of the EAR 864. Tim DP says they sound the same - they don't. Sold the 864.

Anyhow - to return on topic - my vote is for a s/h EAR 834P - they do pop up.

larkrise, Feb 4, 2008
  4. hifi addict

Alco

This must be the best one I've heard so far.
    (haven't heard that many though)
    [​IMG]
    The Sonneteer Sedley

Alco, Feb 4, 2008
  5. hifi addict

hifi addict

Here is the beast the Allnic 1500 LCR phonostage. I have not heard the Allnic 3000 yet, So if this one is anything to go by then I may have to sell a couple of the children more medical experiments.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2008
    hifi addict, Feb 4, 2008
  6. hifi addict

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Ralph says the 3000 is quieter, more dynamic with even greater resolution ,but it is a lot more dosh.

Purite Audio, Feb 4, 2008
  7. hifi addict

Baudrillard

That can be the achilles heel of even very good valve phono stages- hiss.

Baudrillard, Feb 4, 2008
  8. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

I would consider that to be a waste of resources TBH Tony from what I heard. IME it would really choke a decent MC making it a pointless purchase. Sorry, I don't mean to sound mean, but it is very good at it's price point and a bit above that, but even a Microgroove would get a host more information off the disc and present it in a more dimensional manner. I would recommend it for those with large record collections and extremely limited funds.

Stereo Mic, Feb 4, 2008
  9. hifi addict

anubisgrau

Interesting, it mirrors Larry Cohen experience but ONLY with stock valves. You can have 864 performing better than 802 with the right choice of tubes.

anubisgrau, Feb 4, 2008
  10. hifi addict

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Sorry - this is OT

Hi Gordan - I did play around with the tubes Mazdas and Mullards - the 802 had it. . . .anyway intended to send you a pm about all of this soon.

I don't think you mean Larry Cohen - a Hollywood scriptwriter who wrote Horror Movie scripts such as Its Alive! I think you mean the USA reviewer Larry Cox and we've had an exchange of e mails around the subject - have found an interesting source of 802 valves ;-) Larry was never able to try Mullards in his 802 as the PCF802 's are hard to source in the USA - but I have found some.

Be in touch soon for a pm chat about preamps.

larkrise, Feb 4, 2008
  11. hifi addict

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

Well I'm certainly someone with a large record collection and limited funds! I'm surprised you think it so bad, I'd say it didn't disgrace itself amongst the mid price phono stages I've owned (Ear 834P, Microgroove) or against my more costly DV, but to be fair I've only heard it's MM section with my admittedly budget DL-110, I've no idea what it does with MCs. I thought it was not only a bargain but good enough that I could live with it quite happily. I'm sure it's not the last word in anything, but I suspect it represents a key stage on the diminishing returns ladder. I might buy one for my second system Lenco L70...

Tony.

TonyL, Feb 4, 2008
  12. hifi addict

Markus S Trade

Quick, look in the pfm classifieds ...

Markus S, Feb 4, 2008
  13. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

Tony,

I don't think it's bad. It's sins are ones of omission which for me are important. Maybe I've been spoilt.

Stereo Mic, Feb 4, 2008
  14. hifi addict

The Devil IHTFP

I've omitted to stick pubes to me needle, but despite that sin, the Cambridge is fine.

SM talks a great game.

The Devil, Feb 4, 2008
  15. hifi addict

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Heard a Whest 2.0 on Friday, it was 'fine'.

Purite Audio, Feb 4, 2008
  16. hifi addict

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have an Ear 834p.

A great phono stage for the 350 ish that you can pick them up for used.
    Audio Innovations P1's and P2's likewise, great buys.

The cambridge by all accounts great for the money..

But!! despite me owning and loving my 834p, it hardly deserves a place amongst ''best phono stages'' unless you don't get round expensive audio equipment much.

Best I've heard to date - hard to tell when you hear stuff out of system context. One I'd blindly plump for would be Graham Trickers (Tron) own personal 4 box phono stage. He did it in an experiment of the extreme. It has two power supplies, and a box per channel for the main gubbins. Each box is about the size of a standard system component. If released, I feel sure you're talking about the price of a very flash car.

You can hear Tron phono stages and maybe this one too at GT Audio nr London.

Of course as already mentioned I heard it in an unfamiliar system in an unknown room. It impressed nevertheless.

bottleneck, Feb 4, 2008
  17. hifi addict

RobHolt Moderator

Mike, sell Tony that 640 of yours :)

For general info, it has two stages, ie the MM and MC front ends are separate and not just a gain increase which is typically what you find on stuff <£100.

Worked well with my current AT33 and the previous Lyra Argo.

RobHolt, Feb 4, 2008
  18. hifi addict

sastusbulbas

I find the EAR 834p quiet enough, as is my Sonic Frontiers SFP-1.
    I also liked the EAR 802, that was quite decent I thought, reasonable value too second hand, though I would probably have one fully serviced just to be sure..

sastusbulbas, Feb 5, 2008
  19. hifi addict

Stereo Mic

I would have thought postage costs would eat into the saving but he's welcome to PM me. It's only sat in a box.

I guess it's points of reference which are responsible for the diversity of opinions found on the internet regarding products ultimate performance. I'm beginning to think that's where 99% of arguments start. The other 1% are started by Bub.

Stereo Mic, Feb 5, 2008
  20. hifi addict

hifi addict

The Anatek MC1 is a much better phonostage and at only £800 I think its very good value. But not quite up to keiths Allnic 1500 phonostage.

hifi addict, Feb 5, 2008
Ask a Question