Whats Happening here

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davewhit

Active Hiatus

Have to say this is the same for me. This place is usually non brand specific and the music section is good. Apart from the unfortunate cable debacle and earlier stand furore it is generally welcoming and fun to visit.

Active Hiatus, Nov 11, 2005
  2. Davewhit

Davewhit

Comments and from the comments an understanding of whats going on, here and on other forums. Is it people getting set in ways, is it old chestnuts coming up from new members boreing the old timers ?

Should forums kick off old members once they have posted 4000 posts?
    Should old members know better, and take more care in how they act so forums do not just end up with a smaller and smaller number of users

if you go around all the forums and see how many people sign up post twice or never post its very sad there is a very large wasted pool of people like us interested in hi fi

if they where not scared off or put off by forum members of old standing then all the groups would be bigger and much better for it

as for legal action, pay a lawyer enough money sue anyone

as for threats not my way

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  3. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

Regarding getting more new members, I think a lot of them are probably put off by the way a lot of us know each other in person as well. It must make it feel kind of exclusive.

Maybe we need to ‘advertise’ to the new visitors why they should join and post here. There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people but perhaps on the face of it, it is not so obvious and guests feel more at home at somewhere like HFC.

Dave I see you are in Kent, where abouts?

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Davewhit

Heavymental

Choose the blue skin nota...it gives me a peaceful easy feeling :MILD: :D

Heavymental, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Davewhit

Dev Moderator

At the bottom left of the page you can select blue style.

Dev, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Davewhit

Davewhit

Tenson I am in Rochester and from your post your? new ash ?

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  7. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

I'm in Gravesend. My best friend lives in New Ash Green though!

I have been meaning to pop up to Rochester to see Rochester Hi-Fi as I haven’t actually been there yet believe it or not!

Well I will extend an invitation to come and have a listen to my system if you want to some time. You are very welcome, it's always nice to meet new people.

Blue just doesn't feel like ZG :p

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

Haha... quite a while back didn't someone post a link to an eBay advert with these speakers in it? Quite some monsters there!

[​IMG]

Tenson, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Davewhit

Davewhit

I spend a bit of time in rochester hi fi I know the two chaps who run the place was there for a couple of hours this afternoon listening to a £600 system and a 60k system

they have a great range and know there stuff

we could do with more dealers like them

Davewhit, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Davewhit

HiFiWigWam Number 6

This forum is still the biggest and (one of :D ) the best. Some come and go, some rise and rise.

What you can't moderate or admin for is keeping everyone happy. Totally impossible. The Meadowlark /Art Emotion comments are a classic example, if a thread is alive and running you can't delete or lock it no matter how boring or repetitive you find the content.

I think the idea that people get put off is not quite right either, some maybe. But I have a sneaking suspicion (and go with me here, it's a little odd I know) that some people actually aren't that bothered.

There are forums that I have posted once or twice on and never gone back. Not because they were rude, or cliquey, in fact most people are very welcoming most of the time. It's just that I don't have time, or are not that interested in the Forum topic to keep going back.

I posted on the AV forums when buying a new Telly, and never been back since. Even though they were all helpful and welcoming. I am just not that interested. it was fun and useful for an hour.

Many of us make friends and enjoy the banter on these places. Most people just use them as an information resource.

New members that want to stick around, will. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with this place, wigam, HFC or PFM. We all have our favourite pubs and sometimes it's fun to try a different one for a drink or two.

And Dave it was a bit of a troll wasn't it mate. :D . being as you posted on the wigwam saying you were coming over here. :rolleyes: :lol:

He's a lovely curmudgeonly old bugger. I hope you are feeling ok mate.
    D

HiFiWigWam, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Davewhit

Tenson Moderator

Lol, I just searched for HiFiwigwam and ended up on a place called Hydrogen audio reading a thread with a few of you lot on there! You know, I just felt the need to read another cable debate! Kind of funny for a while though.

Tenson, Nov 12, 2005
  12. Davewhit

HiFiWigWam Number 6

Don't mention Hydrogen audio to any wigwammers.. :gatling: It's a long and not that interesting story, and not for telling here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
    HiFiWigWam, Nov 12, 2005
  13. Davewhit

Mr_Sukebe

As WM has already stated, seems to be the quiet season temporarily with not much going on in the way of buying new kit. The result is that the normal level of posting has dropped.

With regard the the major argument threads. The protagonists involved are both grown ups and I'm sure are fully aware of just how intransigent the other party is. As such, they're clearing doing it just for fun, just as you might argue about whether a Ferrari of Porsche is faster down the pub. Personally I just let them get on with it.

As for the forum in general, I still rate the people on here as more helpful, knowledgeable and widely experienced than any other group I've come across, so I love it on here and have no intention of moving on.

Mr_Sukebe, Nov 12, 2005
  14. Davewhit

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

which no doubt was the point of the thread. I'll collect my prize now.

garyi, Nov 12, 2005
  15. Davewhit

Stereo Mic

There's five locked threads on this first page alone.

That says an awful lot.

Stereo Mic, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Davewhit

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Here here!

7_V, Nov 12, 2005
  17. Davewhit

HiFiWigWam Number 6

I count two here. One on HFWW and none on HFC. Across all fora that's not too bad.

I bet you would find one or two on the other sites if you took a snap shot another day.

You have PM btw StereoMic.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2005
    HiFiWigWam, Nov 12, 2005
  18. Davewhit

Alex S User

I find bouts of self-important naval-gazing about the most off-puting feature of any forum.

Alex S, Nov 12, 2005
  19. Davewhit

Tim F

In this forums defence, I'd say that any post concerning cables is likely to start some sort of flaming. However on most other topics (except the neverending Mana debate) there are very useful opinions around. You can take what you need from a forum once you get to know peoples preferences. For instance I know what WM looks for in a sound and know what his posts will echo when looking at sound. My tastes are different, as are those who like Naim. I have no objection to people liking \ disliking kit it just takes a while to match up people with the same preferences. I would simply post something like "I like full range bass and don't mind some booming as a compromise" and then look for a recommendation. Or I care nothing for acurracy but want a huge stereo image. Therefore no flames ensue.

It's actually the responsibility of those with such hugely contrasting views not to battle it out over text, but to invite each other over to their houses and in an adult manor and prove \ disprove thier beliefs, EVEN if one person can hear a difference and the other can't at least we're avoiding hours of reading flames. E.g. I listenned to the green pen on CD's with WM and Issac and couldn't say I heard any difference, they said they could and that was good enough for me.

I suppose these forums can be clicky if you stick only to your beliefs and aren't willing to be proved wrong, if you're a person who believes one thing, put out a mail that says "Prove me wrong with a demo!". I have a VERY open mind about all things hifi and I'm very glad to see contrasting opinions.

Thanks, Tim

Tim F, Nov 12, 2005
  20. Davewhit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Unfortunately I have just been forced to close this thread.

Zerogain as an entity has been threatened with legal action over this thread. This is not the first time that such a threat has been made.

Each time such a threat is made, I come very much closer to giving up.

I-S, Nov 12, 2005
Ask a Question