when 50 watts isn't enuff

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Anna K

50 Watts of Enya and Mel C should be illegal. They should send hoards of soldiers into homes that possess these wankers of music destruction.

Anna K, Dec 20, 2003
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Anna K

You mean I can stay if I play nicely?

Anna K, Dec 20, 2003
  3. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Yes, if you play nicely :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Dean

Always thought 50 wpc is more than sufficient for my needs - the volume knob rarely goes above 10 o'clock as the rooms starts shaking with some heavy tracks :D

Dean, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

well as it happens, I also listen to real jazz, early black sabbath, rush, gong, classical, bothy band, mantovani, max bygraves....errr, no.....!!

Those were quoted as they were the only tracks that induced the amps to misbehave their naughty selves.

Looks like a nice amp on ebay, I can certainly vouch for them...

yuk it an inside out p***s

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
    Lt Cdr Data, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Lt Cdr Data

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

What I find weird is that there was a vocal transient on a Mel C track!
    Shurely shome mishtake? Haven't they heard that it's illegal not to use as much compression as possible on "radio friendly music"? (he said with a modicum of tact...)
    Although I must agree, 50 watts isn't enough ;);)

leonard smalls, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

To be honest Id be amazed if the amp is clipping, and suspect recorded distortion also..

As has been mentioned, slap it in the car stereo and see if it does the same..

NB
    Im soon to be going from 50w to 9w, no clipping on either!

Chris

bottleneck, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Lt Cdr Data

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

50W :( I need more than that for the av reciever running, CURRENT is what it's all about, the amplifer MUST be able to deliver, large amounts quickly when requested to do so by those great musical transients, Juice man, give me the juice :D

wadia-miester, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Anna K

If the speakers are at least 91db/W/m efficiency then 50W (perhaps 20 amps per channel) in a small to medium size room is plenty and all you will ever need. Some 50W amps can almost match some 100W amps into transient 4 Ohms loads; but more is always better! It is a nice feeling to have more than you need. I got 100W/ch amp and 91db/W/m speakers and I NEVER need to go above quarter way on the dial in my little 12ft front room.

James Brown is on tv........:D

Mel C and Enya sound 'best' on midi-systems. At least move the Enya aside and try some Amon Tobin, 2 Lone Swordsmen, etc....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2003
    Anna K, Dec 20, 2003
  10. Lt Cdr Data

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Some of the best drums around!

Tony, give these a listen for "thwack"

---------------------------------------------------------

From HERE

Now time for CJ to return....

MO!, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Lt Cdr Data

merlin

Don't tell he's been let out too:rolleyes:

Seriously, is it possible that you are overloading the input stage of the MF rather than the output? Have you tried listening for the distortion on headphones?

The 89dbw/8ohm recommendation BTW seems to be very convenient considering MF were marketing high efficiency loudspeakers around this time. Still, if it is the amp running out of steam, it wouldn't be the first time an MF amplifier failed to meet published specs when it came to available power output;)

merlin, Dec 21, 2003
  12. Lt Cdr Data

Anna K

The James Brown thing was very interesting. James and others believed that the US powers that be were trying to grind James into the ground in order to prevent his rise as a black 'messiah' or spokesperson..... Makes you think.. I mean.. Public Enemy's Chuck D claimed that George Bush senior had him bugged for the same reasons...

Anna K, Dec 21, 2003
  13. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

merlin, I think it's a bit unfair to tar the MF that made the A1000 with the same brush as today's MF.

The A1000 is a Tim de Parvacini (sp?) (now of EAR fame) design and not a Michaelson one ;) Apparently though the A1 (which came before the A1000) claimed 20W Class A allthough it was really Class AB highly biased into Class A. The heatsink top cover also doubled as a grill plate :D. See here for more info.

The A1000 I believe really is 50W Class A. If you haven't heard one, you should. What I'd really like to see one of these days is to dem. a £700 s/h A1000 to someone who's just blown £3K (or whatever) on a new TriVista integrated :JOEL:

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Lt Cdr Data

merlin

I wasn't Michael, I was tarring them with the same brush as the MF that made the A1:D The point about the speakers just goes to show the MF marketing machine was in full swing even then. If you have a true 50 wpc Class A amplifier, then it should just about drive anything.

Look at Krell KSA50, the Sugden Masterclass, and the myriad valve amplifiers from Audio Reseach and CJ. All 50wpc Class A, all sound massively powerful, and most were used to drive speakers whose efficiency was frankly appalling (SL600's anyone?)

So either MF put some BS in the manual to encourage purchase of their Kelly loudspeakers (by far the most likely reason), or the amp itself is seriously compromised. Either way, it's not a great advert for MF is it?

merlin, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Lt Cdr Data

A1000

Merlin
    They stopped making the A1000 before they got Kelly re-launched after aquisition.

Kelly, I believe, were re- launched at the same time as the A1001 was launched, the item that killed the A1000 (along with legislation)

The A1000 got measured at the time at closer to 65 watts so MF weren't BSing about power but "mostly " class A is probably accurate. Still sounds great though.

A1000, Dec 22, 2003
  16. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

What legislation helped to kill the A1000?? I agree with you though about the sound. Bloody marvelous :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 22, 2003
  17. Lt Cdr Data

Robbo

That'll be the legislation that prohibits MF from keeping something in production for more than 6 months:)

Robbo

PS mike, can you look in the mods forum, there's something we need to discuss.

Robbo, Dec 22, 2003
  18. Lt Cdr Data

michaelab desafinado

Only just saw this. I have done, looks like the issue is resolved :)

Michael.

michaelab, Dec 22, 2003
Ask a Question