An afternoon with valves

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by penance, Jan 25, 2004.

1. penance

Robbo

data,

Which amp are you talking about? I also have a Kit88 integrated and its good value, but I reckon the bass will be a bit flabby for a flat earther.

The CA50 on the other hand has no such bass timing problems and totally slaughters the WAD amp in every area which is what you would expect I suppose given the price differential.

Robbo, Jan 31, 2004
  2. penance

Lt Cdr Data om

the wad 6550 with the valve rectifiers...very fast and tight, but YMMV I quite like a bit of boosted bass, not to tight as it makes me think it is light, still, don't like bass bloom and congestion, no timing problems I don't think...

http://www.worldaudiodesign.co.uk/wadproducts/kit6550_pictures.html

has a real ethereal, airy quality, really easy to listen too....addictive, may be better amps, but I like what it does...

I have a kel34, too,which is the el34 version of the kit88, identical apart from output valves. The output transformers are toroids, so the smaller cores may give better bass 'speed' its quite quick, its interesting also, as the output valves get their bias partly on the grid and partly cathode bias, usually its one or the other.
    But the 6550 is better than the kel34....so could be better than the kt88...I blame those valve rectifiers....

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2004
    Lt Cdr Data, Jan 31, 2004
  3. penance

Robbo

not heard that one.

Robbo, Jan 31, 2004
Ask a Question