....and throw away the key

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by johnhunt, Aug 17, 2005.

1. johnhunt

penance Arrogant Cock

Order me a dozen!

penance, Aug 18, 2005
  2. johnhunt

zanash

Because ignorance of your subject .....does you no justice.

It also shows other people how much [or little] to value your comments.

Google is a good tool ..... just got just shy of 4000 hits, you should be able to get some information from that lot. Or did you want me to spoon feed you the info as well ?

zanash, Aug 18, 2005
  3. johnhunt

tones compulsive cantater

(a) My subject is music. Is Mr. Wotsiface a musician I should know about?

(b) As Clark said to Vivienne in the last reel of "Gone with the wind"...

(c) You can if you want, I'm personally not really interested, especially if the person in question is dotty!

tones, Aug 18, 2005
  4. johnhunt

Decca

Many many years ago Mr Belt demonstrated his goods to me at my home, I was impressed and it did seem to alter the sound. However a few weeks later HiFi News did a review and concluded the changes seemed to be related to a change in the electrostatic fields which was hitherto not seriously considered to be a factor in sound quality. Unfortunately it also seemed that applying his products did change the sound but when they were removed, there was no noticeable alteration

Decca, Aug 18, 2005
  5. johnhunt

penance Arrogant Cock

tones, an absolute class retort, but then, i have come to expect that of you

penance, Aug 18, 2005
  6. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

who is this Thunderstone person zanash

btw you can call me sunflower if you like

johnhunt, Aug 18, 2005
  7. johnhunt

zanash

so what or more importantly why are pontificating on HiFi ?

Go find a place where your sphere of experience is relavent.......coz this is not the place

Nay sayer are not wanted here..........

How can you possibly justify your critisims of varrious subjects without any knowledge of them, by your own admission.

I personally have not tried these dots .....I have no idea as to there effectivness, but until I do I for one will not make them the but of cheap jokes or wise crack.

lets have a little poll ......hands up all those people who have made fun of these things. Now hands up all those who have tried them .....thought so a big fat zero.

zanash, Aug 18, 2005
  8. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

zanash - defender of dots

bravo

johnhunt, Aug 18, 2005
  9. johnhunt

zanash

not dots...........

defender against nay sayers maybe.......

a nay sayer .......someone, with no experience with the object or activity, but who pontificates that it can't possbly work, brow beating all who say anything contary to there own stilted opinion.

zanash, Aug 18, 2005
  10. johnhunt

Gaffer74

I've tried them.....they're crap :ffrc:

Gaffer74, Aug 18, 2005
  11. johnhunt

johnhunt recidivist

anyone who markets kit likes this should expect a healthy sceptical response. and that's what they got from most here.

you're right in that majority haven't tried them, i haven't either. i'm still entitled to voice an opinion that they are probably nonsense.

johnhunt, Aug 18, 2005
  12. johnhunt

The Devil IHTFP

Who the **** is he?

The Devil, Aug 18, 2005
  13. johnhunt

The Devil IHTFP

Is he that "3D Sonics" fruitcake?

If so, it doesn't really surprise that he is into dots!

The Devil, Aug 18, 2005
  14. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

I only had a quick look at the website so please excuse me if I am missing something here but...

I think by simple logic you can figure out they are not going to do much good.

When speaker drivers are designed they pay A LOT of attention to resonance. I think its quite safe to say that if an application of a few dots made significant improvements to the resonance and indeed the sound, they would do it! Also the fact that most speaker drivers are different to each other means that applying the same treatment to each is unlikely to help much; their brake up points and so on will all be different to start with.

As for putting them on windows and so on? well I seem to remember someone reporting that insulating tape across the windows helped a lot too! No need to pay lots'a money for these. Tape even comes in nice colours!

Hehe!!

I think he seems like a nice guy with a few weird tastes in equipment, there is nothing wrong with respecting this guy but it seems like you idolise him Zanash?

Tenson, Aug 18, 2005
  15. johnhunt

mosfet

Credibility Zanash.

Some ideas can and should be dismissed out of hand for this reason if for no other reason than to save wasting brain cells.

I'm aware of Thorsten's 'reputation' - in as much as familiarity with his hi-fi fora postings and contributions elsewhere - and clearly the man is a very knowledgeable individual. However I'd still dismiss the idea of small strategically placed dots to influence the room acoustic as lacking credibility.

With respect to both yourself and Thorsten, the man to ask for a qualified opinion would be an acoustician by the name of Eric Desart. He posts on the Sound on Sound forum.

Now I suppose I could try these dots as you suggest this is the best way to proceed. I could also try to make apples fall upwards. The issue here is not nay-saying.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
    mosfet, Aug 18, 2005
  16. johnhunt

Tenson Moderator

Well as Eric said to me recently "By getting older there come more and more holes in my brain. So I rather should like you not to pick what's left of it ..." :D

I think its clear they won't do much. If they did, they would post measurements of their effectiveness to back it up as its obviously quite unbelievable.

Tenson, Aug 19, 2005
  17. johnhunt

zanash

Thanks .......at last someone who has hands on experience

zanash, Aug 19, 2005
  18. johnhunt

zanash

no ideas should be dismissed out of hand .......unless of course yourfrom the "post" bully school of thought.

There is a little thing in this country and many others.....its called trades description laws.

if you feel so strongly about these products why not report them ?

I can remember when, the idea that a small peice of wire between your kit could not possibly make any difference to the final sound, this idea was perpetuated by nay sayers who would brow beat, bully and generally castigate all others who didn't share there same views. We now know who was right........

If those lasy bathtubs can't type or even copy and paste a few letters into Google, to find who TL is, why should I bother ?

on final point of clarification I have not used these dot's, I have no idea if they work or not , my issue is with the hillocks who bully poeple that have ideas other than there own, good bad or indifferent, all deserve to be heard.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2005
    zanash, Aug 19, 2005
  19. johnhunt

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Zanash many ideas should be dismissed out of hand or you can start to look a bit religious.

Dots of sticky paper do not work, if they did we should all be concentrating on the decoration in out house.

Get a grip man.

garyi, Aug 19, 2005
  20. johnhunt

tones compulsive cantater

Never have done - leave that to you (you're sooo much better at it).

Aha, blundered into the Church of the Reproduction's equivalent of the Wee Frees, have I? Hadn't realised that the fundamentalists had moved in completely.

Easy. When you've tried many tweaks (and I have) and none of them have worked, you get fed up. If cables/power cords/stands/demagnetising CDs and all the other mumbo-jumbo don't work, why should wee bits of stuff stuck to speakers?

I respect completely your right to worship at the altar of the divine HOBBY and believe in the miracles wrought by Him. Hallelujah, Brother! May you have a long and fruitful fundamentalist life dotting all the i's, not to mention the speakers, the walls, the ceiling...

tones, Aug 19, 2005
Ask a Question