better timing on my 300B SET

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by boy_lah, Sep 6, 2005.

1. boy_lah

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Im not sure why that might be.

I know mr Border Patrol is moving to the US as you say, but I shouldnt imagine that having an effect on his interest in the UK market place.

Perhaps Kevin just favours an alternative presentation these days.

He has the amp in (used) that he used when he designed the speakers. Its a 20watter (from memory). Its pretty good, and an integrated so you dont have to mess about with getting a pre.

" Canary 608 (blue) line integrated - great sound for low dough

£1900

£3000 "

bottleneck, Sep 7, 2005
  2. boy_lah

Paul V

Boylah

I'd suggest either going back to Kevin and listening to BPs, both pre-amp and power, or give one of the other firms that supply BP a try if Kevin's not an option. You might find they give you the sound you need. I've been very pleased with mine and think they work very well with the LVs.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 7, 2005
  3. boy_lah

boy_lah

hi paul, good idea except it's a LONG LONG trek to visit Kevin. 3-3.5 hrs each way. Nearly killed me last time. What I do for love!??!

might have to try another dealer...but i do love the Art Audio....! :(

boy_lah, Sep 7, 2005
  4. boy_lah

Paul V

Whereabouts are you in the UK ??

Paul

Paul V, Sep 7, 2005
  5. boy_lah

boy_lah

south london - don't drive so i train.

boy_lah, Sep 7, 2005
  6. boy_lah

Paul V

The Sound Practice in St Albans might be a better bet then [can you get there via Thameslink/London Bridge ??]. Having driven from Tunbridge Wells I know Long Eaton is a slog...

Good luck !!.

Paul

Paul V, Sep 7, 2005
  7. boy_lah

thrudge

I bought this last week....

thrudge, Sep 7, 2005
  8. boy_lah

boy_lah

hi guys,

Just an update to all those that have responded.

Firstly, as it turns out most of the timing and lack of volume issues were down to the OBX and/or speaker cables not fully run in. After running my system on an AV amp for a week whilst on holiday (200hrs), I came back to a very different system. It started to bob along nicely. There was more body to the music, it 'seemed' to play louder and more balanced. My best guess was that I was mainly listening to the tweeters up to this point when suddenly the woofers opened up and filled up the sound. I did lose 'some' ultimate transparency and top end as this happened but I much prefer this more balanced top to bottom sound than previously.

At around that time I also got hold of a Modwright SWL9.0SE pre (the 6moon's current fav - courtesy of Keith @ Anglesoundaudio.co.uk) and although it was a very good pre, at the end of the day, I was quiet satisfied with the Art Audio with just it's Goldpoint volume pot. Srajan of 6moons once wrote he flet the Goldpoint is that good that you'll need to spend US$3K or more on a pre-amp to better it. The Modwright would be that calibre and although it added more gain (didn't really need it in my small room), remote (love this!) and filled up the upper bass (which is nice), it DID lose some transparency. Many of my mates prefer it with the pre – not hard to hear why, but I personally found the ultimate transparency to be more satisfying. I could hear I'm in a concert hall room not just Maria singing! Yes, it could sound relatively (depends on what you're used to) thinner and lacking in bass but for my taste, I though it was no drama.

All in all it's been a great learning experience and I have to thank all that contributed. The Art Audio Diavolo SE (w/ WE300B) is a gorgeous piece of kit that is extremely well built and the sound, when setup right, is just amazing. It's lovingly voiced and if your system is up to it, you'll hear it in it's glory. By up to it, I mean, the rest of your system must not have any nastiest that inserting the Art Audio is going to bring up. It certainly did mine (hand up one Finite Elemente Pagode rack, some ICs and various isolation feet and power cords). It's such a well balanced and transparent amp that I was able to tell what the rest of my system was doing (or in my case, over doing – lushness) and robbing “life†from the sound – v v dramatic to musical satisfaction. :mana:

And finally, I couldn't agree with Jeff Day's description below anymore…

I've had the good fortune to own or be able to try a number of excellent SET amplifiers in my HiFi rig. I've used SET amplifiers based on the 845 tube, the 300B tube, the 45 tube, the 2A3 tube and now the SEP (single-ended pentode) EL84 Almarro. *snip* The 300B amplifiers by Audio Note and Art Audio I have tried had beautifully detailed midranges, powerful mid-bass and fire-side warmth that could be addictive - the audio equivalent of a steaming cup of good hot cocoa. *snip*

Keep sharing and back to listening! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2005
    boy_lah, Sep 30, 2005
  9. boy_lah

boy_lah

ps - Tom Willis can be found at www.artaudio.co.uk
    pps - no, i'm not a dealer or benefit financially in any way. Just a very satisfied customer

boy_lah, Sep 30, 2005
  10. boy_lah

badchamp Thermionic Member

Ahh, Angelsound Audio, Keith is a very nice guy, 'swhere I got my MF passive pre from !

Jeff

badchamp, Sep 30, 2005
Ask a Question