Boring Neutral Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by shanesndsurgry, Nov 15, 2005.

1. shanesndsurgry

Stereo Mic

Then he's mistaken. I disagreed with some things posted by Thorsten and gave reasons why. F**k me! Isn't that allowed on ZG these days? This place is becoming seriously dumbed down IMO.

Tell you what Saab, I'll start a dumb thread about wanting small speakers up to £200 - that should prove entertaining for the forumites.

Stereo Mic, Nov 17, 2005
  2. shanesndsurgry

Saab

So HIFI is dumb unless you can afford 'real' gear then? So when does HIFI become 'intelligent'? Over a grand? When exactly? Maybe ZG would attract some new members if some of the current ones weren't climbing up their own arses all the time.

Saab, Nov 17, 2005
  3. shanesndsurgry

Stereo Mic

Saab,

it has nothing to do with the gear. It's all to do with understanding how to make the most of it. That involves theory which it seems is boring. Asking opinions on speakers however seems a sensible pastime, despite the respondees recomending whatever they own (due to lack of exposure to alternatives), despite no one being familiar with the room or surroundings, and despite no one haivng the same system.

Asking for advice in such circumstances is dumb yes. Whilst we are at it, buying hifi used simply on price is dumb too. Add in people trying to get £10K sound for £100. That's dumb. All covered regularly on the friendly internet. All dumb. All IMHO of course.

Stereo Mic, Nov 17, 2005
  4. shanesndsurgry

Dev Moderator

Someone please take this track off repeat!

Dev, Nov 17, 2005
  5. shanesndsurgry

Stereo Mic

Sorry Dev, I don't recall saying it before. Are you saying others have said same?

Stereo Mic, Nov 17, 2005
  6. shanesndsurgry

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I was finding this discussion very useful and enlightening until John stuck his oar in. I am fascinated by dipole speakers. I am also beset by room mode problems. Sure you sometimes get the sense from the words on the screen that Mike And Thorsten are trying to out-do each other but that is because you can't see the body language and the grins on their faces. It's all good natured really.

Right...back to the bun fight :slayer:

technobear, Nov 17, 2005
  7. shanesndsurgry

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Seconds out round 3...............

wadia-miester, Nov 17, 2005
  8. shanesndsurgry

johnhunt recidivist

funnily enough i have a profesional interest in the behavior of sound in large commercial spaces and have/do work with electro-accousticians and the like. large distributed DSP systems come into the equation too. my role though is less concerned with the techinical in and outs but more to do with the flow of risk assocaited with a particular problem/engaging specialties etc.

as for the hifi - i'm just trying to listen to the music!

johnhunt, Nov 18, 2005
  9. shanesndsurgry

ChrisPa

Surprising and unnecessary.

I was finding the discussion about speakers and room interactions informative. If 3d, SM & bottleneck then wandered off onto discussions about current speakers and what they consider state of the art, so what?; let them. I didn't find anything factually inaccurate in what they said - possibly a difference in what they each perceive as relative priorities. No need for an offensive response. I find it very easy to avoid what, to me, are 'vacant' threads - I don't read them, or I take a look in and then exit immediately. Seems like a simple method to me, and I can leave the participents at the other end of the bar to carry on with whatever discussion they want... I join in with the discussions which I believe will be of benefit to me, and generally avoid the rest.

So can we leave the thread (all threads) to a discussion about audio rather than comments on the participents. I'm sure that even if it's not explicitly stated in the AUP, it's definitely against the spirit of the AUP and spirit of why we should be here.

Right, end of my completely off-topic post. Let any discussion on audio resume...

ChrisPa, Nov 19, 2005
  10. shanesndsurgry

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I agree. I've found it quite an interesting thread - a little willy-waving is quite permissable IMO as long as no one waves theirs at me. :D

I also found the earlier postings by Titian and subsequent discussion with Thorsten interesting, btw, particularly in the light of my recent experiments in the area of the effects of speaker panel resonances and 'Layered Sound' (combining moving coil and NXT panel speakers).

I'd also like to say that Thorsten (3D) is absolutely right - as manufacturers, retailers or hobbyists, very few of us (if any) are in the business of attempting to find the perfect hi-fi. We're all in the business of doing the best we can within certain constraints, be they financial, size, aesthetics or, in some cases, very dodgy hearing and a complete lack of musical taste. ;)

7_V, Nov 23, 2005
  11. shanesndsurgry

ChrisPa

Do you mean like Layered Sound Case Study Dome ?

I'm very interested in that and would love to know more about your experiences.

too true

becoming ever more significant for me :(

ChrisPa, Nov 26, 2005
  12. shanesndsurgry

ChrisPa

OK - I should have read the other thread do you get any front to back soundstage? before posting here

ChrisPa, Nov 26, 2005
  13. shanesndsurgry

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Yes Chris. That's what I mean.

I find that for best results I turn the volume on the NXT panels up until they're just not contributing tonally to the sound. At that point (generally about 3-5dB down on the main speakers depending on room, listening position, etc.) I find that the layered sound gives a more realistic image and quality to the sound.

My forthcoming new speaker will be the first to include 'layered sound' as a part of the package (an option) but it's easy to experiment with the concept using your existing speakers, a relatively inexpensive pair of NXT panels and an extra amp. For prototyping I used the little Fane MicroPro panels (you don't need NXT sound below 200Hz for 'layered sound') and a solid state integrated amp that I had lying around. The Seventh Veil NXT speakers will be somewhat better and will also function as supertweeters. For production models I'm going with a class T amp.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have to the best of my ability.

7_V, Nov 26, 2005
Ask a Question