CD Stoplight (green pen)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by I-S, Oct 24, 2003.

1. I-S

mr cat Member of the month

so, let me get this right - you paid 20 notes for a marker..?:MILD:

mr cat, Oct 29, 2003
  2. I-S

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Me and a mate tested this out on a CD_R that we had written, painted round the edge with a green marker and then let it dry.

The result: No difference. :JPS:

PBirkett, Oct 29, 2003
  3. I-S

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Tone - I heard the effect of the Lobster Sperm at yours (and it's still on my Massive Attack CD) but I won't be buying it... Sure it makes a difference on harsh sounding CDs but I can't be arsed to draw around all my discs to be honest.

I too use Eupen and can hear the difference (AND mine bends properly); in fact, though the Acoustic Zen I borrowed off of Henryt worked well with instruments in my system, the Eupen got the bass right - it was "weird" (dunno how to describe, but just not right) with the Acoustic Zen...

domfjbrown, Oct 29, 2003
  4. I-S

sideshowbob Trisha

Only just noticed this thread. I'm saying nothing, other than you're all barking.

There's a thread on the tnt mailing list ATM about sanding the edges of your CDs. Anyone bonkers enough to try that? :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Oct 29, 2003
  5. I-S

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

which is better aluminum oxide, garnet, or silicon carbide.? or do you have to buy audio grade sandpaper?Also what motion of rubbing is best linear, circular or random

themadhippy, Oct 29, 2003
  6. I-S

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I'm up for a bit of random rubbing ;)

Back on topic, I got a Rotring green marker from a local stationer for less than 2 quid and it does have a noticeable effect on harshness and also reduces ssssssibilance :cool:

technobear, Oct 29, 2003
  7. I-S

zanash

I've used them for the last what fifteen years, most people I've dem them to can hear the slight difference.
    The green is better than black which is better than the other colours I've tried.

Go down to your art shop and get a Uni Posca poster paint pen, these come in dark and light green and are identical to the Stop light [except the label and the nib ] and cost about 10 times less but have the same effect!

zanash, Oct 29, 2003
  8. I-S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

The colour isn't desperately important. The issue is the absorbtion at the specific wavelength of the CD laser. It is quite possible that of random marker pens from a stationary shop, some will absorb at that wavelength, and some will not. Thus it is quite possible that you could get a green marker pen that will have no effect whatsoever (eg an ohp marker, as these are meant to be transparent (or at least translucent)). The CD Stoplight is an opaque, matte finish for those who've not seen the real stuff.

Of course, I have no doubt that they're raking in the cash and it is costing them pence to make. However, I also have no doubt that it works for me, and that the price (around 10p/CD) is very reasonable for the level of improvement that I (personally, IMHO etc) experience from it.

Going into theory now, with DVD and SACD things are the same but different. The same in that the whole thing should work (or not, depending on your pov) for the same reasons, but different in that you need to absorb at a different wavelength.

I-S, Oct 29, 2003
  9. I-S

dat19 blind test terrorist

Here's an experiment..

Take a CD you cannot stand - something you'll never want to play again.

Cover the playing surface with your green marker pen. Cover the surface several times if you like.

Insert into CD player and press play.

What happens??

dat19, Oct 29, 2003
  10. I-S

Robbo

arf arf

Robbo, Oct 29, 2003
  11. I-S

HenryT

FYI...

From an article in a recent news letter from Audiophile Candy (2004 Issue 2.4):

HenryT, Jun 9, 2004
  12. I-S

HenryT

I've been trying to track down these Uni Posca markers locally without much success so far. Anyone know where I can get these mail order? :)

HenryT, Jun 9, 2004
  13. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

wadia-miester, Jun 9, 2004
  14. I-S

Have you tried it?

Have you compared treated and untreated discs of the same music?

technobear, Jun 9, 2004
  15. I-S

The Devil IHTFP

The green pen thing has no effect whatever with my CD player (Naim) and the Eupens seemed to have no effect either, well not that I could hear.

Question for Swiss Tones:

Are there any 'tweaks' or 'mods' or anything else where you actually can hear the effect?

The Devil, Jun 9, 2004
  16. I-S

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Chris, the answers yes, its a cross between the pen and the reveal together in one box. I find it works well, then so does the xerox fuild

James,

Of coarse :)

wadia-miester, Jun 9, 2004
  17. I-S

tones compulsive cantater

Me personally, no. The only BIG changes I've ever noticed came with equipment changes, and then only changes of the electromechanical bits at each end - the LP12/Ekos/K9 was amazingly better than the old Thorens TD160/SMEIIIIS/ShureV15IV and the Keilidhs in passive form showed a clean pair of heels to the LS3/5As.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2004
    tones, Jun 9, 2004
  18. I-S

The Devil IHTFP

Yeah, but LS3/5As are crap, and belong in the 'overrated' thread. Never really understood the wonderfulness of the Ekos, neither - about the same as an Ittok, which is good, but for the money, I expected much more.

Well, if you can't hear the differences between cables, supports & mains tweaks, why not just pile all the boxes on the floor connected up with the cheapest wire available to mankind?

The Devil, Jun 9, 2004
  19. I-S

tones compulsive cantater

There we agree to disagree - my LS3/5As make a splendid noise. Now I'm not saying that this is the world's most splendid noise, or even the world's second- or third-most splendid noise, but they keep me happy, and they do fit nicely in the bookshelf.

I don't actually ever recall saying that the Ekos was wonderful, only that it was better than what I had. Again, I'm happy with what it does. I'm sure better arms exist, but I really don't have the time, the money or the interest to go looking for them. (Forgot to mention, the whole lot was second-hand - I'd never have bought it new)

How did you find that out? Have you been spying on my basement?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2004
    tones, Jun 9, 2004
  20. I-S

Xerox fluid??? :confused:

technobear, Jun 9, 2004
Ask a Question