expensive Cd Players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Johnny, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Johnny

9designs Linn Nut

sorry what was the point of this thread again ????
    Hey a bold suggestion.....go listen to sum players and answer the question do the more expensive ones sound better ????
    Every rule has an exception, but the well designed ones sound far better.......
    Cheapo DAC's ....Well I tried a Monaca 2.... seems to get used in some very high end set-ups on the net.... Well it sure does NOT batter a 14 year old Linn Karik !!!.... it falls a bit short TBH.
    And against a 1.1 ....ROFL !!!

9designs, Jun 11, 2006
  2. Johnny

Johnny

Most cds have been digitally processed. Don't you think jitter has affected the sound on the recording ?

Of course jitter can be reduced. It's called reclocking. Look it up.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  3. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

Most studios that do serious work in digital use a master clock so jitter is pretty negligible. Still, jitter is only part of the equation. The output stage certainly makes a large difference as I'm sure RobHolt and BBV will attest to after hearing the difference between the stock DEQ and the one with a different output stage (actually, not really any output stage). The PSU and algorithms used in the DAC will also make a difference. To a lesser degree, so with the actual components (caps, op-amps, diodes) used inside the thing.

Why do cheap CD players / DACs sound good? Because they are! Do more expensive ones sound better? Most of the time yes. But it is marginal in the grand scheme of things.

Tenson, Jun 11, 2006
  4. Johnny

Johnny

that has nothing to do with my thread.

Does 96 khz sampling rate sound better than 44.1khz ? why ?

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  5. Johnny

Johnny

anyway, just let me know when we can meet and you can bring your dac and talk about this when you get here.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  6. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

:bub:

Tenson, Jun 11, 2006
  7. Johnny

Johnny

Right, that's enough ramble from you.

contrary to your belief, no it doesn't increase bit rate, your wrong.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  8. Johnny

Johnny

Simon I have already mentioned the fact that jitter, output stage are contributory factors.The question is how, and why.
    In any case, there are recordings which were made many years ago, when the term jitter was non existent.
    Stop being so vague, anything can make a difference.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  9. Johnny

Markus S Trade

Dear Johnny, you are the most troll-like non-troll I've ever had the pleasure to observe. Carry on with your thread.

Markus S, Jun 11, 2006
  10. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

Isn't that obvious? They distort the signal. If it is a different circuit they will distort it differently.

Tenson, Jun 11, 2006
  11. Johnny

ditton happy old soul

Johnny, you do not 'own' this thread. Neither do you seem to own a manner that is condusive to pleasant exchange. At one time I thought that was an artifact of having to use English as a second langauge - for which I would forgive/tolerate much - but I think it may be that you do not seem to own a sense of humour that is easily shared.

In this hobby, I have been prompted to look up jitter and re-clocking, but rarely by this manner.

ditton, Jun 11, 2006
  12. Johnny

Johnny

Actually, there is no such thing as the ''watts filter''.

Where are you getting these ideas ?

Can you prove to me that the ''less error correction needed''
    ( whatever that means) the better the sound ?

''The cd transport mechanism , the more spent the better engineered this can be, as in Esoteric/Teac VRDS NEO and most laserdisc assemblies.''

No. This is again false. The majority of transports are designed to strict specifications, and are more than adequate for their intended purpose.

What people fail to understand is that the cd format is already obsolete. Yet new cd players come out on the market at an alarming rate.

A friend of mine, Tim, from E.A.R was experimenting with higher sampling rates and so on in the early 90's, but it would only work if the cd was cut at that specific sampling rate.

The questions you ask only demonstrate your lack of knowledge. Have you tried looking it up ?

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  13. Johnny

sideshowbob Trisha

£45 in fact :)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 11, 2006
  14. Johnny

sastusbulbas

CD redbook technical details.

The redbook specifies the physical parameters and properties of the CD , the optical "stylus" paremeters , deviations and error rate , modulation system and error correction , and subcode channels and graphics.

It also specifies the form of digital audio encoding ( two channel 16-bit pcm clocked at 44100 hz).These parameters have become something of a defacto standard.

Bit rate = 44100 samles/s x 16 bit/sample x 2 channels = 1411.2 kbit/s ( more than 10mb per minute)

On the disc the data is stored in sectors of 2352 bytes each, read at 75 sector/s.Onto this is added the overhead of EFM, CIRC, L2 ECC and so on, but these are not typically exposed to the application reading the disc.

By comparison, the bit rate of a "1x" data CD is defined as 2048 bytes/sector x 75 sector/s = exactly 150 KiB/s = about 8.8mb per minute.

Copy protection on CD's on the other hand infinges on the above , hence its problems with some CD players.

Hence "CD digital audio" by definition does not have to conform to the redbook standard, but the Music industry and its CD releases are supposed to.

CD is an optical recording format which can be used for all sorts of recording and encoding IE Sony superbit and HDCD or 96khz, are these redbook ?

Audio CD transport = 10mb per minute ? CD-rom Data transport = 8.8mb per minute ? does this apply to todays computer drives ? I dont know but it would be interesting to know.Are we sure of the strict specifications of CD mechs ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2006
    sastusbulbas, Jun 11, 2006
  15. Johnny

zanash

So what gear are you using ?

zanash, Jun 11, 2006
  16. Johnny

RobHolt Moderator

Oh yes it was.

"Perfect sound forever" was`the Philips slogan at the birth of CD.

I also have the TdP articles somewhere and IIRC he states that CD wouldn't work to his satisfaction until it offered true 24 bit resolution.

RobHolt, Jun 11, 2006
  17. Johnny

Johnny

I designed my system. I use pmc as my reference monitors.

It's better than yours given that your hi fi has been manufactured by someone else, and I know the ins and outs of what constitutes good sound. Moreover, you don't know what constitutes a good sounding room from an objective point of view.
    you must understand that all these things have a cumulative effect.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  18. Johnny

ditton happy old soul

what !!

on that you are right - go away!

ditton, Jun 11, 2006
  19. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

Give us some pictures of your DIY hi-fi then Johnny old boy!

Tenson, Jun 11, 2006
  20. Johnny

zanash

No ...johnny

He has the propensity to irritate that is second to none !

Yes yes lets see some pictures..........

He wouldn't tell us what he was using last time he trolled.

Now it appears its all DIY....so why not say so before ?

zanash, Jun 11, 2006
Ask a Question