expensive Cd Players

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Johnny, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Johnny

Johnny

I don't have any pictures to show. Even if I did, I don't know how to post photos.
    Of course I design my own circuiits, I meant what I said.
    The room is only about 13 feet squared, and the height is about 8 foot.
    The source is an old marantz 6000 the output stage, lightly modified but the digital is untouched.
    It's better in the sense that I can tell you why it sounds a particular way, whereas sastusbalbus can't since he hasn't designed his equipment.

Simon, I've invited you to come over and bring your dac along, but you haven't replied to my email. I can only assume that you're not interested.

Johnny, Jun 11, 2006
  2. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

Correct.

Tenson, Jun 11, 2006
  3. Johnny

zygote23

OMG OMG OMG :(

Have I stumbled on a forum that is a playground for bickering youngsters?

You guys do realise that folks reading threads like tis will get a seriously biased view of your subjective ability.

zygote23, Jun 12, 2006
  4. Johnny

Tenson Moderator

If you look back, this is not the first time Johnny has started threads with his umm.. avant-garde style if posting (look at his post count). We all just have a bit of fun when this occurs.

If you want serious talk all the time, sign up to the M-a-n-a forum!

Tenson, Jun 12, 2006
  5. Johnny

unclepuncle

So Johnny is the technical superior to all of us and yet can't even work out how to post a photo. Says it all really.:D

unclepuncle, Jun 12, 2006
  6. Johnny

zanash

zygote.......

not normally but Johnny's ecclectic style just seems to rub people up the wrong way.....I suspect its ignorance rather than malicious ...but only J. will know that.

The problem is he has past form and has the habit of verbally kicking members, so it seems some responders like to get there own back in advance.

For myself ......J. steadfastly refuses to tell us what kit he's using and therefore its virtually impossible to tell where he's getting his idea's and listening experiences from.

Look at this thread have we established what an expencive CDP is yet ?

For me ...........an expencive cd would be anything over £250 and at that price you can tell the differences, but quality wise the're all a muchness.

Now if the limit was up to £1000plus then the differences are far more obvious ie Naim and saythe ........ Opera droplet.

One distorts the sound image to create a "wall of sound" while the other has more natural presentation. this has little to do with the pink pamphlet and more to do with the output stage topology and component choice - in my opinion

zanash, Jun 12, 2006
  7. Johnny

zygote23

Do you think if I Pm'd Johnny he'd get it together to build me an exclusive 'negative reality inversion hifi' in the purest unobtanium?
    Of course I would promise never to post piccies of it and to sing it's praises above all else! :D

zygote23, Jun 12, 2006
  8. Johnny

Stereo Mic

No - the fact that this is one of the most popular threads of the month so far does that. RIP.

Stereo Mic, Jun 12, 2006
  9. Johnny

racey

I don't know about the online personalities of contributors to this thread but the debate about expensive CDp is relevent.
    Is a £1000 player 10 times better than a £100 player? Is a £3000 player 30times better?
    There can never be a definitive conclusion as the matter is subjective. But it is a reasonable debating point.

racey, Jun 12, 2006
  10. Johnny

technobear Ursine Audiophile

[​IMG]

technobear, Jun 12, 2006
  11. Johnny

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Johnny - Please tone down your rather aggressive and abrasive style of posting. If you genuinely do design your own parts then I'm sure you can make a valuable contribution. That does not have to go hand in hand with an "I'm right and you're wrong" attitude.

I-S, Jun 12, 2006
  12. Johnny

zanash

I'm sorry to say techno has it spot on......

if in doubt read johnny's post history ...

its clear [to me] that he feels he has no need to ...as Isaac says "tone down your rather aggressive and abrasive style"

Don't feed the troll

zanash, Jun 12, 2006
  13. Johnny

Johnny

Does it matter what volume pot I used ? It really makes no difference to me personally. S/n ratio of what ?
    What makes you think I have measured the specs ?

I have used various dacs including apogee, cranesong, benchmark.

What distortion figures are you asking for ? why do you want this information ?

Tim (of E.A.R) does all his designs by hand. Just like I do. The only difference is that he has access to a wide range of measuring equipment, whereas I don't.

Johnny, Jun 12, 2006
  14. Johnny

penance Arrogant Cock

So you have no way of actually showing your Heath Robinson setup is better than any one elses.

penance, Jun 12, 2006
  15. Johnny

Johnny

I've invited simon over to my place. I've emailed 3d sonics to hear his system. I haven't received a reply to either. It's not my problem as far as I am concerned.

Johnny, Jun 12, 2006
  16. Johnny

ditton happy old soul

Johnny, you are not the first person to get off to a bad start by coming across aggressively, nor the only one to persist beyond a reasonable honeymoon period, but if you are an enthusiastic DIYer, then try hanging out there to share (both give & take) your experience.

Some of us is punters, not makers, of hifi kit and have to form judgement about which techhies are talking nonsense and which have unjustifiable arrogance.

So, for my benefit, what did you think of the various dacs you tried - apogee and benchmark for example. Some of us think that, for CD replay, the dac is critical, although recognising the importance of the stuff that occurs before the dac and the stuff that happens between it and the poweramp.

No doubt Heath Robinson was misunderstood ...

ditton, Jun 12, 2006
  17. Johnny

penance Arrogant Cock

I am sure there is a very obvious reason why they have not replied.

You stated in a previous post that your system was superior, but you cant show any evidence to support that.

penance, Jun 12, 2006
  18. Johnny

zanash

Are you seriously saying there are no differences in sound quality between ...lets say a conductive plastic and a boggy standard carbon film ?

next you'll tell us that all resistors sound the same !

zanash, Jun 12, 2006
  19. Johnny

zanash

If your near me ...here's an open invite bring your cdp over and we'll have a listen ....pm if your interested

zanash, Jun 12, 2006
  20. Johnny

Johnny

the benchmark costs under £1000. It has been compared with dacs costing 10 times that amount. And the differences in many cases have been very small.

The difference between the dacs and the marantz are negligible in my humble opinion.

The main music I listen to is classical thesedays. Bach, Rachmaninov, et al

Johnny, Jun 12, 2006
Ask a Question