Finally - A sub that actually works!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Robbo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Robbo

Curt

Thanks for the info Juboy.
    This is purely for music so looking for speed and clarity rather than thwack.
    Being driven by Krell 400xi, Classe CDP-10 and Dynaudio 1.3mkII speakers.

Curt

Curt, Nov 30, 2004
  2. Robbo

juboy

In that case I'd just keep checking the classifieds for a DD-10 or DD-12. People seem to be selling those at around £1200-£1500 second hand and they'll destroy the SPL Series in every way with music and movies.

juboy, Nov 30, 2004
  3. Robbo

merlin

Curt, IMO a £500 sub in that company will be more trouble than it's worth.

I just don't understand people adding inexpensive subwoofers to quality stereo systems.

merlin, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Robbo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Yes Curt, just buy some better quality speakers, you know it makes sense

wadia-miester, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Robbo

michaelab desafinado

Better than the Dyn 1.3mkIIs? Don't you know WM, any piece of kit I own is the best there is ...until I find something better ;)

Agree with merlin also. I tried an MJA Pro50 sub in my system and despite occasionally giving promising results it never really worked properly so I now just use it for AV stuff.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Robbo

Robbo

Juboy,

As the DD12 is so good and rattles and shakes my room without even trying when you want it to, TBH I really can't imagine the need for anything more, unless you have a massive room! What extra does the DD15 bring to the table?

Do you have any ideas what extra features the software updates are going to bring? You cant just dangle the carrot you know :)

Robbo, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Robbo

Robbo

Dont tell me you are regretting selling the thing!

Robbo, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Robbo

Robbo

Not tried the B&W tbh. but unless it has digital EQ and servo control to reduce distortion, I think it is unlikely to be able to beat the Velodynes.

Robbo, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Robbo

merlin

No mate, my room is not as structurally sound as yours. But I do miss the ability to EQ the bottom end, particularly after trying those unruly things at the weekend :D

Tried the Tact again and same problem - fabulous on CD but takes away some of the magic with vinyl. I have a cunning plan ;)

I have heard the new ASW850 and it is one impressive beast. Having owned earlier B&W subs (ASW4000, ASW3000) I was surprised just how much better the new Nautilus range are. As Robbo says however, it would make a great deal of sense to pair it with something like the Behringer or a Rane.

merlin, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Robbo

Robbo

Why not just get the FA's back and buy Isaacs Behringer? Job done.

Robbo, Nov 30, 2004
  11. Robbo

oedipus

Some (rather nice) adjustable feet, and an extra back breaking 33lbs!

I have v1.4 (top left corner of main "TV" screen) of the software on a sub manufactured in Aug 2004 - it appears identical to what you have.

oedipus, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Robbo

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I was vaguely wondering about the possibility of using Isaac's gizmo with my sub too. I guess it would depend on if it had enough flexibility over the bass frequency region, and how fast it processed the signal.

Edit: There is of course a fairly good discussion of this on Isaac's original thread:

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=5941&page=1&pp=15&highlight=behringer

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2004
    MartinC, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Robbo

Robbo

Oedipus,

From the Velodyne website :-

Nothing of much note really. However, it sounds like Juboy knows of something in the pipeline.

Robbo, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Robbo

merlin

I believe an auto EQ and averaging system is in the pipeline, but nothing to get the keen hobbyist excited AFAIK.

merlin, Nov 30, 2004
  15. Robbo

Ian J

Bruce Hall the CEO of Velodyne posted the following on AV Forums :-

Ian J, Nov 30, 2004
  16. Robbo

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

1/3rd octave graphic equaliser, +/-15dB, 1/10th octave parametric and dynamic, +/-15dB.

Not sure what the delay in the signal is.

I-S, Nov 30, 2004
  17. Robbo

oedipus

The delay through the unit is very small, I don't recall any lip sync problems when using it for AV for instance (and I have it cascaded with an ultradrive crossover too).

One shortcomings of the DEQ is that it isn't particularly flexible as a crossover (why I partnered it with the ultradrive); the other shortcoming is the frequency setting in parametric mode is rather coarse meaning that you can't put the center frequency anywhere, it has around 5Hz resolution @ 50Hz, which can making killing high Q peaks a bit hit and miss. Finally, the auto EQ is IMHO crap; you really need a proper measurement tool (like ETF) to figure out how to set the PEQ...

The ultradrive/ultracurve pair are about $650 in the US - which isn't cheap, but are a tweakers delight :)

On the other hand, the new denon AV 2805 has room EQ (8 band parametric IIRC), looks to be about £550 in UK and maybe a better fit for what you have in mind. Has anyone bought one of these beasts?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2004
    oedipus, Dec 1, 2004
  18. Robbo

juboy

Most of the software advances have been covered above, although I believe Velodyne are also working on additional EQ sliders (8 not being quite enough for some of us).

Many of the developments have been mooted and/or announced by Bruce Hall at the UK's official Velodyne Digital Drive Forum here (be warned, it's a hell of a long read!)

It seems Velodyne will be trying to cater for what most users want to be able to do with their DDs as a rolling project. Which, although you pay an initial price for it, seems a far better attitude than taking your money and just leaving you to it.

As for the DD-15, I only use mine in my AV system and therefore appreciate the additional extension. I also have a problem with my room in that it's the middle floor of an open plan three floor building and the sub therefore needs to be able to move a lot more air. Had I been in a more 'normal' situation I'd have probably gone for the 12 myself.

I use fairly weighty floorstanders in my 2-channel system and have never tried integrating a sub into it.

juboy, Dec 1, 2004
  19. Robbo

juboy

Whilst ordinarily I'd agree with the above, in the case of the CHT-10R and 12R it's a slightly different kettle of fish, they have specifically designed 'tight/fast' presets for different types of music replay and are far, far more controlled than any subs I've heard previously at the price point (including the so called 'musical' RELs).

BTW, I've heard an MJ Acoustics 50 sub and you really can't even begin to compare that to a CHT-R sub, not even in the same league.

Although, as I said before, if it's solely for music replay, I'd wait for a cheap DD-10 to pop up on the second hand market personally.

juboy, Dec 1, 2004
  20. Robbo

Curt

Well tone i happen to like the Dyns very very much and feel they are excellent speakers that just keep improving each time i upgrade electronics.
    I would only be using the sub to catch the very low stuff and dont feel its worthwhile spending fortunes on one.
    I am getting pretty positive results with an old Rel 150E at present :eek:
    You hardly notice it until you turn it off.
    Its subtle but works quite well.

Cheers
    Curt

Curt, Dec 1, 2004
Ask a Question