Finally - A sub that actually works!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Robbo, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Robbo

Robbo

It is, believe me.

EQ'd bass is the way forward IMO, I am a convert. The bass I get in my system is now staggeringly good.

Robbo, Dec 1, 2004
  2. Robbo

Curt

It bloody should be for £2500 Robbo :D

Curt, Dec 1, 2004
  3. Robbo

Ian J

The new B&W subwoofers will also contain room EQ
    according to the recent B&W press release here

Ian J, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Robbo

titian

Robbo,

very glad that you love your new baby and solved your Hifi problems.
    Looking forward to come again to your place!

Congratulations!

regards

titian

titian, Dec 1, 2004
  5. Robbo

Robbo

Cheers Titian!

I tried reading this thread, but it seems to be all about extension, loudness and chest thumping thwack (WM would be right at home there :D ) so I gave up. These subs can do so much more than this - they dont know what they are missing! Cheers for the link anyway.

Robbo, Dec 1, 2004
  6. Robbo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Robbo, could be right, although after todays little 'get to know your speaker session' I feel I've had to redefine the thwackometer :cool:

wadia-miester, Dec 1, 2004
  7. Robbo

Robbo

Oedipus

Oedipus,

How are you getting on? Like you I was having trouble with the auto switching on and off, so I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of the software (V1.5) which is supposed to contain a bug fix.

I'll let you know if it solves the problem

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Dec 7, 2004
  8. Robbo

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

If Velodyne know what they are doing then the frequency response of the microphone will be accounted for in their set up system. This has a drawback of course, being that the use of another microphone would make the set up system inaccurate. For that kind of money you would expect the set up system to be integrated with the microphone to allow for the microphones inaccuracies. If it weren't I would take the results with a pinch of salt to be frank.

The microphone should idealy be held in a fixed point in space, it should also however be isolated from the mechanical path that low frequencies could take via the floor otherwise it will be picking up floor bourne vibration as well as air bourne leading to an inaccurate measurement of the low frequencies. These two things aren't very compatible, but the lack of securely fixing the microphone to a point in space isn't really an issue for such low frequencies as the wavelengths are so long that even a centimeter here or there will make no differerence to the SPL being measured.

Of course as with all measurements of bass response in-room, the actual response will only be that shown on the setup plot at that point in the room. By the very nature of bass it will vary considerably from point to point around the room. Just moving the mic to the next seat on the sofa would make the plot completely uneven again. So it limits the usefulness of such equalisation in the real world unless you sit in one place to listen to music in which case it's obviously beneficial. Personally I would be looking to create a "room averaged" flat response by taking several setup plots around the general listening area.

GTM

GTM, Dec 7, 2004
  9. Robbo

oedipus

The sub sounds great and works fine with music. It just switches off for TV probably because their isn't that much low level bass in cable TV. I'll might check v1.5 of the software myself.

oedipus, Dec 7, 2004
  10. Robbo

oedipus

They do. Do you? Which measurement systems and calibrated mic's have you been using?

Why? The frequency response plot is probably +/- 0.5dB from 15Hz-2KHz (the graph on Behringer's site looks flatter and Velodyne appear to have OEM'd the same mic..)

Room modes/sub placement etc, can cause +/- 20dB see-saws in the response, and compared to that, the minor differences in the supplied microphone are literally and figuratively in the noise.

You're exaggerating when you say "completely uneven". It's going to be a minor variation and a lot better than the uncorrected response. When you tame the room modes you win everywhere.

This is simply not true.

It's not a bad idea for AV/Home theatre. However, for stereo, people like the hotseat because it's where the stereo image really gels.

oedipus, Dec 7, 2004
  11. Robbo

GTM Resistance IS Futile !

oedipus,

Go look up wave interference. Specifically the interaction of waves of different frequencies in an enclosed system.

I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of the post because of it's needlessly arrogant and beligerent tone.

GTM

GTM, Dec 7, 2004
  12. Robbo

oedipus

Can I take from this, that you have no measurements to back up your statements?

Just how do waves of different frequencies interact, specifically?

You started it :)

oedipus, Dec 7, 2004
  13. Robbo

Robbo

It did. The sub now auto-switches on and off properly.

Robbo, Dec 7, 2004
Ask a Question