Fuses

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by melorib, Apr 17, 2007.

1. melorib

melorib Lowrider

I wish playing Golf would be as easy as replacing fuses... :bookworm:

melorib, Apr 22, 2007
  2. melorib

RobHolt Moderator

Of course you don't have to be sarcastic but if you you hear a system and believe it to sound bad, surely you should be honest and say so?

People will never learn that they can obtain better performance if their friends sit nodding agreably while listening to shite.
    The same extends to some of the more bizzare tweaks and that is especially true when dealing with people on the forums.
    These places are all about personal opinions - that is their life blood. If you don't challenge something you believe to be wrong, or support something you believe to be right there is absolutely no point posting at all IMO.

RobHolt, Apr 22, 2007
  3. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Define "you believe to be wrong"...

melorib, Apr 22, 2007
  4. melorib

titian

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2007
    titian, Apr 23, 2007
  5. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Very well said titian... :beer:

melorib, Apr 24, 2007
  6. melorib

melorib Lowrider

The Chinese never replied, including the claim on Paypal... :eek:

I am so glad I bought both my Chinese amplifiers from Germany, only the fuses from China, Chinese dealers never again... :mad:

melorib, Apr 26, 2007
  7. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Paypal is great, they are returning my 28 euros... :D

You guys better not use the Chinese dealer mentioned on my first post in this topic... :mad:

melorib, Apr 30, 2007
  8. melorib

RobHolt Moderator

This is all very well, but it makes places like ZG pretty pointless.

If you hold a strong opinion about something, in this case 'fuse sonics' that opinion needs to be stated. I believe that special gold plated fuses make absolutely no difference to the performance of an audio system, and I tell that to anyone prepared to listen. Sitting down and establishing your priorities for an audio system will not change that view. I'll advise that your £30 or so is better spent on music and that by buying and supporting these products you are perpetuating a myth, one that is making someone a lot of cash at our expense and giving them a good laugh into the bargain.

You or others may not want to hear that, which is fine but I don't need to spend hours getting inside your head and pleasantly sipping tea before able to make my point, nice as that might be :)

RobHolt, Apr 30, 2007
  9. melorib

titian

titian, May 1, 2007
  10. melorib

Tenson Moderator

Titian, I think through these forums one can get to know the other person quite well and make suggestions that suit them, not necessarily you (the person making suggestions). It usually take a lot of posting and reading on the forum before this can happen, but if music and hi-fi is your passion then you will probably want to join in chat with other like-minded people anyway. I think that is fair enough for something that definitely makes an audible difference.

On the other hand I think Robs view is that, with something like a fuse, ones personal preferences do not need to come in to it at all because it is fact that gold plating a fuse has no audible effect.

I think this is the issue with discussions about cables, fuses and isolation and so on... one party think of it as per the top paragraph and the other think of it like the second. The second paragraph is absolute in its view and as such discussion of preferences is unlikely to happen.

Edit: Comment removed by Dev.

Tenson, May 1, 2007
  11. melorib

melorib Lowrider

Rob's problem is that he doenst accept different opinions, or lifestyles, or whatever...

No one criticised him because he believes or not that some tweak works or not, who cares...

melorib, May 1, 2007
  12. melorib

titian

titian, May 1, 2007
  13. melorib

Dev Moderator

Titian,

I'd appreciate it if you edit your post to remove the offensive comment that Tenson mentioned. There is no need for personal insults.

As for Rob's views, I'm going to have to agree that his views are as valid as anyone else's here. We all know HiFi is highly subjective and we can hear things the way we want to. I personally believe that any tweak CAN make a difference in theory. In practice whenever I've heard a difference in cables, siolation there can normally be a perfectly logical explanation such as LCR, susceptibility/resistance to RF or magnetic fields, isolating microphonic effects etc. etc. However, I'm having a hard time believing that changing fuses can make a difference. If it does, then just clean the damn things periodically, along with all the other contacts. If you want to believe they make a difference fine, carry on believing that, but at the same time please be prepared for others to question that belief without resorting to personal insults.

Dev, May 1, 2007
  14. melorib

titian

titian, May 1, 2007
  15. melorib

titian

titian, May 1, 2007
  16. melorib

Dev Moderator

Surely we can all rely on our previous experience to judge whether something is worth the effort or money. If we are looking at a component in the signal path, we can assume that changing it can affect the sound due to the possible changes in LCR, noise etc. If it's mains etc. we can again assume it can have an affect indirectly due to cleaner mains, less microphonic interference etc. With fuses, exactly how is it going to affect the sound? Cleaner mains? What is going to be the change in electrical properties? A small change is contact resistence? A mains lead or an interconnect can have aerial properties. How much (in practice) of this can you see in a fuse? Are these differences going to be big enough to be measurable or heard?

I'd say that a much greater difference in electrical properties can be apparent due to a change of length or material of cables rather than a change of a fuse. At some point we just have to say sod it, I'll just listen to music rather than the changes in sound due to a fuse. Otherwise it's all rather sad I feel.

Dev, May 1, 2007
  17. melorib

Tenson Moderator

I wrote quite a long post, but have thought better of it and hit the delete button.

Tenson, May 1, 2007
  18. melorib

Dev Moderator

Thank you for sharing that with us. We appreciate it.

:D

Dev, May 1, 2007
  19. melorib

Tenson Moderator

Can you rearrange the letters to make it say something more interesting?!:D

Tenson, May 1, 2007
  20. melorib

Dev Moderator

No. IMV it was already much more interesting than your previous post:D.

Seriously though, I also did something similar this morning. I used real life analogies as examples of how in normal life we just accept certain things and don't need to be so "perfectionist". However, when it comes to HiFi, Cars etc. we go to extremes. I think it's all part of a desire to fit into certain circles or manhood waving;). Anyway, after typing it I didn't want to post it.

Dev, May 1, 2007
Ask a Question