Gordon and the donkey

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by technobear, Mar 8, 2007.

1. technobear

Hex Spurt

I thought the Gerry Robinson thing was interesting. It showed that a cascade of well implimented small ideas could have a big impact once the internal politics was pushed to one side.

Hex Spurt, Mar 9, 2007
  2. technobear

Bob McC living the life of Riley

All it showed to me was a man well versed in 'talking a good job'.

Bob McC, Mar 9, 2007
  3. technobear

Tenson Moderator

Well I wondered who the hell he was when I saw it. But at the end of the day he did a good job in that hospital. The main roll of someone like that is to simply talk to people and encourage them to do what they can already do. It sounds simple but it is important and most of the public services, if not all, need someone like that at the top - not someone who thinks they can get away with doing a crap job because they are run by the government and they will get paid whatever happens and it doesn’t really matter anyway.

I suppose that was the idea behind privatising the public services, but there seems to be the problem that the people running them have a monopoly and so they also sit on their bum and do a bad job too!

All it comes down to is getting some people at the top who are good at their jobs and actually care!

...IMO

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  4. technobear

If you believe that the headteachers and hospital doctors of the country don't care you are barking mad!

Bob McC, Mar 9, 2007
  5. technobear

lordsummit moderate mod

It's very easy to walk round a place, make a few suggestions, and then with the help of a film crew show a 'massive' improvement.

As Bob says, you are absolutely off your trolley if you believe that Doctors and Headteachers don't care.

lordsummit, Mar 9, 2007
  6. technobear

lordsummit moderate mod

Ben has been banned, and the discussion of banned members is not allowed. This is clearly set out in the AUP. Sometimes life's lessons are hard, but I hope from this he learns that some of his more extreme viewpoints are not acceptable to others.
    I've deleted the posts that refer to this.

lordsummit, Mar 9, 2007
  7. technobear

Tenson Moderator

I'm not talking about the Doctors and the headteachers. The Doctors may care, but they are not in charge as that program showed. Headteachers again are not really the ones in charge when it comes to the problems with schools... though truth be told many of them are crap at running things. With schools I feel its mainly the people at the top in government who just want to find ways to make it look like the schools are doing better - loads of paperwork, restrictions on how are you allowed to teach and deal with problem children etc... They need to let teachers teach!

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  8. technobear

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

This kind of comment does wind me up.

What basis do you have for saying that?

bottleneck, Mar 9, 2007
  9. technobear

The Daily Mail obviously!

Bob McC, Mar 9, 2007
  10. technobear

Tenson Moderator

I accept it is not always the case, but a lot of the time it is.

My Dad has been a teacher for about 30 years and I have another friend who has also been a teacher for about 20 years. Both have also done some rather well paid jobs for very successful companies and they both agree that in comparison to a well run business, many schools and colleges are run really slack by people who don’t really understand management. That NHS program said the same thing to me.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  11. technobear

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

ah well, if your dad and your mate say it, must be true - obviously.

bottleneck, Mar 9, 2007
  12. technobear

They can't have done them for very long, probably didn't get very far, and I vouch didn't do much 'management' in them.

Bob McC, Mar 9, 2007
  13. technobear

Dev Moderator

I think with any nationalised industry there is a risk of it becoming a pawn in the political arena at times. For example keeping a car factory operating at a loss for several years simply to avoid losing votes and to keep the umemployment in the area down (not just in this country BTW). Sometimes it may well spread to hospitals or schools I guess. Last year, I was told by my daughter's teachers how certain 6th formers were paid to stay at school to keep unemployment figures down and to keep them off the streets. As they had no wish to be there in the first place they often had a very negative affect on other students who genuinely wanted to study. This is indirect interference by the state.

Dev, Mar 9, 2007
  14. technobear

Tenson Moderator

The teachers want to teach and the doctors want to... doctor. So if there is apparently nothing wrong with the management and they are doing a good job, where is the problem? You might say the children don't want to learn and are trouble makers these days, but you can hardly say that of patients at the hospital. I stick by my overall thought that the main issues with the public services are down to poor management.

By the way, I am only voicing my views, if you disagree with them then tell me your views, don't just slate what I am saying and offer no alternative line of thought.

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  15. technobear

Tenson Moderator

Yep, I missed out on that one by 1 year, I could have got paid £30 a week to go to college! :(

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
  16. technobear

lordsummit moderate mod

There are national standards for headteachers Tenson, and believe what you may, schools don't always implement government policy. Tell me, how many of your bosses do you respect and have positive things to say about?

It's really easy to knock what someone does, if you're not doing it. It also irritates me that as nearly everyone has been to school, they feel they are some sort of expert.

lordsummit, Mar 9, 2007
  17. technobear

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

no discussion of banned members, and removal of posts therein.

i wish you luck with your totalitarian government.

please delete my account.

i'll be over on diyaudio.com

good day.

sq225917, Mar 9, 2007
  18. technobear

Dev Moderator

Far from knocking them I KNOW that I cannot be a teacher. They (well some of them anyway:)) have my total respect. The conditions under which some of them work are just inhumane IMO.

Dev, Mar 9, 2007
  19. technobear

Usual ignorant tosh being spouted here.
    Statistics show the life chances, unemployment rates, etc of the unqualified youth are far worse than those with qualifications. We also have the least qualified kids in Europe. Also research found that a major reason why many kids didn't go on to study A levels was financial. Therefore the Educational Maintenace Allowance was introduced. It allows 3 rates of: £30 a week, £20 a week or £10 a week. It is means tested. To qualify for the highest rate your total family income must be below £20,000 a year. At a total family income of £30,000 a year you get nothing. So Tenson you couldn't have possibly got it, your dad will earn far more than the cut off point after 30 years in teaching.
    I do wish people would start thinking before posting. Pig ignorance isn't half annoying.

Bob McC, Mar 9, 2007
  20. technobear

Tenson Moderator

Bob, since you are pig ignorant of my family situation and I'm not about to bother telling you, maybe you should not bother posting that sort of nonsense at all?

I can assure you that many of the people who claim that money each week for going to school use it as pocket money.

I can see this discussion is at an end. Its Friday, be happy!:)

Tenson, Mar 9, 2007
Ask a Question