Help me choose a new SACD player - Dynamic Turtle

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dynamic Turtle, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Dynamic Turtle

neek

I think it's a top player anyway :)

neek, Sep 1, 2005
  2. Dynamic Turtle

Lefty

Lefty, Sep 1, 2005
  3. Dynamic Turtle

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

I think we all know the 963 is an excellent player. Very conducive to modification too, afaik.

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Dynamic Turtle

Yep, that is probably very much the reason for the existence of "special" UK distributor versions :rolleyes:

As you said though, the shanling was just out-of-the-box.......

5. Dynamic Turtle

Alex S User

So, Lefty, your 963 materialised, and you like it . . . ?

Alex S, Sep 1, 2005
  6. Dynamic Turtle

greg Its a G thing

Nope, vacuumstate is the name of the org. The mods to Sony players dont involved valves. See www.vacuumstate.com

greg, Sep 1, 2005
  7. Dynamic Turtle

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

The Shanling is massively overpriced in the UK. I've heard the Jungson SACD player but ony briefly, but it does seem very good - where did you get it from? Sounds like a bargain.

Jungson also do a very nice class A 80W amp and very striking floorstanders to match - all for ridiculous prices. I heard them all together at an official UK dealer - mini review hereThe official UK price for SACD player, the JA-88 amp and the striking speakers are all £900 each. Amazing value. And then you can get it even cheaper. Would love to know what the difference between official and grey imports are... I am a bit sceptical myself.

alanbeeb, Sep 1, 2005
  8. Dynamic Turtle

I stand corrected.

The prices are still making me wince though - esp. the XLR option - €1400 - OUCH!

I would only consider spending that kind of money, if I could be certain the player had the longevity to justify it. Even expensive players (like the Denon 2900) use plastic optics and have limited shelf-life IMO.

SCD1/777/555 - fine - they should last 20+ years with no problems, but those Denons & Pioneers..........

9. Dynamic Turtle

£900 isn't cheap in my book, compared to the probable HK$ cost.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people imported these for £4-500.....

There seem to be plenty of private chinese hi-fi importers around these days - certainly shouldn't be difficult getting hold of one.

DT

10. Dynamic Turtle

Neil

I've had a few dealings with Chevin Audio - absolutely first rate. Colin is one of the few engineers who are good with dpa equipment. My last contact was when he serviced my dpa phono stage, fast turnround and economic.

Neil

Neil, Sep 1, 2005
  11. Dynamic Turtle

Thanks Neil ;)

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 2, 2005
  12. Dynamic Turtle

neek

Hi alanbeeb, I have to say the Shanling looked amazing but was a real let down on sound. I do think it would settle down when fully ran in but can't see it being enough. I got the Inca / jungson player from http://www.chinese-hifi.co.uk the chap is based in Sheffield so very handy for me. He was a student from China studying at Sheffield Uni but has finished and stayed here. He is a top chap, I popped over to his flat and had a look at both players, then he brought them both over to my house and waited and was forced to listen to a wide selection of music through both players for a couple of hours. After which I bought the Inca and he left with the Shanling. Perfect!
    He did not even want a drink!
    I can highly recommend him.

neek, Sep 2, 2005
  13. Dynamic Turtle

He's got some amazing offers there too. I must resist - be strong, dynamic turtle!!

A shanling stp80 for £700? Stone the crows!

14. Dynamic Turtle

neek

The Shanling T-200 would have been £1050 I think, not sure how much others sell them for. I stand by the Inca sounding much better, perhaps it is just more suited to the rest of my kit, or perhaps a full week of running in will make an emense difference. I guess I will never know!!

neek, Sep 2, 2005
  15. Dynamic Turtle

Even if the Shanling did end up sounding better, would it have £500 better?

Probably not!

DT

16. Dynamic Turtle

OK, time to bore you rigid with my NS900V mini-review :D

Well, I must say, I'm pretty amazed with the CD performance of this Sony deck. Its a very organic, musical player - great fluidity and rythm. Don't laugh at me, but there are times when I thought it could really pass for a turntable in this respect! Honestly! I can't really fault any aspect of the frequency spectrum either:

Bass - Daft punk was very powerful & tight (I'd heard weak bass was the achilles heel of the 900V, but I patently disagree - its superb). Excellent timing & rythm too. The Signums (with their diddy 13cm woofers) had trouble fully resolving the weight of the timpani & double-bass on the RPO/Mackeras/Sibelius CD, but that's not the 900V's fault.

Mid - voices were clear, crisp & emotive. Most impressively, they exhibited no sibilance (Something the Pioneer 565 or Denon 2900 struggle with IMO). Damien Rice's voice retained all of its breathy, tortured character. The cut-glass mezzo-sopranos on the Harmonia Mundi Nozze de Figaro cd were just that - penetrating & rousing, without sounding strident.

Treble - Cymbals on the (amazing) Thelonious Monk Criss-Cross album had excellent decay, bite and shimmer. They did not sound bright or splashy, much to my amazement. The Police Every Breath you Take SACD (a tweeter's worst nightmare) again proved the 900V to have well-controlled, texturally-rich treble capabilities. Almost as good as my (ageing) Reggatta de Blanc vinyl via the RPM9.

This player has more rythm, soul and musical integrity than the Denon 2900 + Tag DAC20 combo, at one fifth the price!

I had budgeted for modifications and an offboard dac to process redbook. Needless to say, I'll be spending the money on music instead.

Oh, and the NS900V has a captive mains lead, which makes the performance all the more incredible :eek:

Sorry for sounding like a gushy, over-excited American, but I am genuinely flabbergasted by the 900V. Yours for less than £150!

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2005
  17. Dynamic Turtle

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

i think sacd is a gimmick it is far to clinical, i prefer my gyro ,sme v ,to sacd any day it is too clean sounding
    and you are right vinyl is far far superior to cd and sacd, they are chalk and cheese. if you want a great sound i'm affraid vinyl is the only way
    i have a 868 avi into a ax10i plus an arcam cd92 which is a great cd player, very smooth ring dac

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005
    rudolph hucker, Sep 5, 2005
  18. Dynamic Turtle

greg Its a G thing

A bit like kumquats.
    "When choosing kumquats, look for firm, gently scented fruit, without any blemishes."

greg, Sep 5, 2005
  19. Dynamic Turtle

Welcome to the forums Rudolph. This thread is hardware specific - we are NOT debating SACD as a format.

Why not start a thread with the title "Why is my Gyrodec/SME V so much better than a Marantz SA6400?". :rolleyes:

Cheers,
    DT

Dynamic Turtle, Sep 5, 2005
  20. Dynamic Turtle

rudolph hucker rude ol --cker

just stating a fact thats all you all keep persuing that ultimate sound. and you will never get there with sacd or cd i'm affraid. i would say that sacd is worse than normal cd, to cold sounding

rudolph hucker, Sep 5, 2005
Ask a Question