Hybrid tube/ss amps?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by sanj, Jun 3, 2004.

1. sanj

sanj follow the tao

The hybrid amp is a sort of compromise, but probably not worth doing I suspect (though if I get a chance to demo some like the unico, will give it a go)

Else, I could go for ss like a primare or exposure, once I save up some more pennies

Though, from my limited knowledge/experience, I actually want to try a valve preamp and ss power amp (bypassing the pre stage on my current int. amp). Damn, that'll be another box to add, even though some tube preamps look seriously :MILD:

Having said that, I've always wondered which element determines the sonic characteristics of an amp set up. The pre or power/output stage? or both equally? That is, in relation to a valve preamp + ss power combination. Or would it just be specific to the particular combination of components? For example, if adding a valve preamp to a ss integ amp takes away the edginess, we would conclude that the edginess comes from the original preamp stage of the int. amp?

sanj, Jun 3, 2004
  2. sanj

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tenson,
    A very common misconception, analogue input<>digital conversion<>anaolgue output.
    Ian the Harbeths liking proper power then?, what you got the Soneteer int?.
    So now you have some bass, how are you liking them?

wadia-miester, Jun 4, 2004
  3. sanj

Tenson Moderator

Could you name a few class T amps? I'm quite interested to hear what they sound like, as well as the pure digital ones.

I presume the class T works the same way, i.e. they use the digital signal as a direct control for the power-switching transistor?

Thats if I understand how the digital amps work!

I suppose they are all very very expensive still?

Tenson, Jun 4, 2004
  4. sanj

sideshowbob Trisha

Knew somebody would spill the beans eventually. I wonder who it could have been. :D

Nothing whatsoever to do with bass, to be honest, "proper" or otherwise. Sounding good, though.

Tenson: class T is really just a marketing term, since the amps in question generally use Tripath boards: http://www.tripath.com/ The one I'm going for is the Sonneteer Bronte: http://www.sonneteer.co.uk/ Others are made by Bel Canto, Veritas, LC Audio, Sony, Sharp, etc.

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2004
    sideshowbob, Jun 4, 2004
  5. sanj

No body did Ian :eek: just a lucky guess, so do you have the Soneteer then?

6. sanj

Robbo

Ian,

What happened to the ATCs then? Got fed up with the lack of bass? Harbeths eh, sounds interesting. Joel must have been round spreading the gospel :D

Data,

Not in this system it doesnt. Have you heard any ARC amps or is that just another one of your sweeping generalisations that you are so fond of making;)

It doesnt sound all warm and chocolatey if thats what you like valve amps to sound like, Instead its fast, detailed, dynamic and powerful with that valve midrange magic. A rather good combination actually.

Robbo, Jun 4, 2004
  7. sanj

LiloLee Blah, Blah, Blah.........

Good grief, are we still going on with the generalisations :confused:
    I know a designer for a UK company and he can make a SS amp sound like just about any other amp by changing the design. He actually says that the worst sounding amp is the one with the least distortion. Go figure!

LiloLee, Jun 4, 2004
  8. sanj

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Careful Lee! Commenting on your own posts is the first sign of madness :eek:

:D

technobear, Jun 4, 2004
  9. sanj

sideshowbob Trisha

No, I had plenty of bass. As I said above to WM, nothing to do with alleged bass deficiencies. Some of us make decisions based on more sophisticated criteria than that, old boy. :p

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 4, 2004
  10. sanj

merlin

:D :D

Congrats on your new purchase Ian. Maybe it had to do with naturalness , something not too high on WM's list of must haves.

I'm with you a Joel on this, Harbeths just sound right to my ears. Which ones have you gone for BTW? C7ES or M30's?

merlin, Jun 4, 2004
  11. sanj

sideshowbob Trisha

K6's. The C7 RADIAL driver in an M30 sized box. Been out of production for a few years, picked up a secondhand pair out of curiosity (three people who have similar tastes to mine kept raving about Harbeths, so I don't deny that gave me the idea to find a pair to try myself), and I found like them enough to keep them.

Naturalnesss is about right, I'd say. The -3dB point is 45Hz, don't know if that's deep enough for me to start boasting about the size of my low-end. Can anybody advise? :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 4, 2004
  12. sanj

Tut, Tut Merlin another sweeping generalisation lots of those around at the moment :D
    Oh yee of little faith :p

13. sanj

merlin

Sorry Ian, I think you need big K9's for a really deep growl;)

merlin, Jun 4, 2004
  14. sanj

sideshowbob Trisha

I thought as much. Clearly I'm still a bass weenie. Thank god for that...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 4, 2004
  15. sanj

merlin

I've heard Audio Note phono stages are excellent. Have you compared with some of the seperate units just out of interest?

Do you notice much of a change as the pre warms up?

far from it WM. I am using the word to describe a certain characteristic that I find exists in products such as Harbeth, Spendor, Proac, Shunyata, VDH, Meridian, Audio Aero and many more.

I think you would agree that none of the above push your buttons so to speak - so therefore the statement is I feel valid (unless of course you are having a rethink!)

merlin, Jun 4, 2004
  16. sanj

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Twas Wadia Meister who advised me on my Meridian 500 transport, which I believe he rates quite highly.

Twas also WM who reccomended Adio Research amps to Robbo (amongst others?)..

Twas (shall I stop saying Twas now?!) also WM who told me Shunyata are one of the best of his competitors.

hmm

:)

bottleneck, Jun 4, 2004
  17. sanj

Juicy textures eh?, full bodied & rich, with oddles of sophistication, I obviously missed the sonic boat on its trip to the isle of enlightment, please forgive my persumptiousness, my constipated bass and lack of natural physical presence ask for your foregiveness, please sir can I be pardoned :kneel:

18. sanj

Lt Cdr Data om

phwew, I am getting a ribbing on this, maybe I better shut up and stop making generalisations:D

Robbo, is that YOUR lovely amp, corr, how I am green.

Lee, very interesting, be interested to know who that person is, and how he does it.

Ian, nice speakers BTW, I have c7s, and superb they are too, very natural indeed. Good low level sound. 8" woofer, 50 hz, not the most bassy with it, but clarity and insight without fatigue.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 4, 2004
  19. sanj

merlin

Hmm indeed

WM owned a 500, tweaked the sh-t out of it, and roundly critisized mine as being the cause of (no groove).

I took the Audio Research round to Robbo (I was unaware that WM had mentioned it to Robbo, although I had tipped off WM on the subject)

I bought a lot of Shunyata kit. I believe I took my cables over to WM to let him hear them. He remains convinced the OA product is better (or should I say more to his taste)

Give WM the choice of Meridian or Teac and guess what he'll choose

Give WM the choice of Audio Research or Bel Canto and guess what he'll choose

Give WM the choice of Shunyata or Omiga Audio and guess what he will choose.

Nothing at all wrong with that,, there are many ways to find happiness. But the term naturalness is generally used to describe the products WM would discard in the interests of speed and Thwack.

merlin, Jun 4, 2004
  20. sanj

technobear Ursine Audiophile

WM's buttons were considerably pushed last Monday by a system featuring a Van den Hul D102mkIII interconnect :)

Indeed, it was found impossible to identify any difference in the sound between the Van den Hul and the uber-expensive foo-foo-dust interconnect :eek:

This was after we had sorted the mains :eek:

WM's perceptions on the capabilities of QED SA were altered somewhat also :D

technobear, Jun 4, 2004
Ask a Question