Lab.Gruppen

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Sep 2, 2007.

1. andyoz

cooky1257

I wish I was a couch.:D

cooky1257, Sep 4, 2007
  2. andyoz

Stereo Mic

I've still got a K1 sat here somewhere. Great bass. Never sounded bright at all in my system - but then the topology will mean that the FR varies slightly with load I suspect.

My take on all Pro amps I have heard (Crown, HH, Bryston) is that they are good workhorses but don't set the world alight. But then I think you should only need those power ratings for PA use ;-)

Stereo Mic, Sep 4, 2007
  3. andyoz

andyoz

That's exactly the sound I'm after.:)

andyoz, Sep 4, 2007
  4. andyoz

Baudrillard

Yeah but how do you REALLY know she's been on it. I wouldn't splash out before testing a patch of couch for DNA- or doing a perfume test ;)

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  5. andyoz

andyoz

Even the thought of it is enough for me dude :D

I like their line "...This can be backed up by the bookings records if required." They also have a couch that's seen McFlys bottoms (pure speculation at this stage of course)...think I'll pass on that one.

Is it just me or does that couch look really, really comfy?

andyoz, Sep 4, 2007
  6. andyoz

Baudrillard

Just how it can be 'backed up' just because a particular artist used the studio is anyone's guess. It's possible they sat on it but not definite.

I wouldn't spend the £500 unless there were a pair of knickers belonging to Helen, lost inside the couch somewhere.

..and even then, I'd take the knickers and leave the couch ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
    Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  7. andyoz

andyoz

They also list Kylie Minogue but that doesn't impress me as much.

She went to my high school, so I suspect (and hope) that I have sat in the very same classroom seat as she at some stage (can't be proved of course).

Oh, and Danny was there as well but she doesn't count.

andyoz, Sep 4, 2007
  8. andyoz

Baudrillard

Looks like there's an opportunity to make a tidy sum, mate.

Is the school easy to break into?

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  9. andyoz

grivois

Grrrr, indeed:

[​IMG]

grivois, Sep 4, 2007
  10. andyoz

andyoz

Is that her...

Oh, gone right off her now!!!

andyoz, Sep 4, 2007
  11. andyoz

Baudrillard

Goddam, I was just about to buy that couch :(

Baudrillard, Sep 4, 2007
  12. andyoz

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

A company i do a bit of work for has just bought the new lab gruppen fp+ 4 channel amps to supplement the existing fp6400's ,there good,no there VERY good.The very bottom end maybe isnt quite as good as the 2 channel model,but hey 4 18" drivers and 2 ohms isnt an easy load for any amp.
    Why not give a local pa hire company a call and hire one for a week

themadhippy, Sep 17, 2007
  13. andyoz

anubisgrau

it's really shocking for me where some of the new PA gear has gone. the top line array systems from martin and JBL really helped redefining how i'm listening to the music at home, even in their smallest configurations. it actually makes me really curious if it would make sense to build something similar - just smaller - for home.

anubisgrau, Sep 17, 2007
  14. andyoz

cooky1257

Hi, Funktion1 dance stack- best high output system I've ever heard (that would fit in a large livingroom)-truly awesome sound, all paper drive units upto 5.5k then HF comp driver.
    They even do a version using a 10 tannoy DC on mid/hf duties.
    Funktion provided the system on the Pyramid stage at this years Glastonbury driven by MC2 power amps.
    Tony Andrews has some interesting things to say about line array vs point source systems too:). http://www.funktion-one.com/dancestack-ConfiEP.htm#

cooky1257, Sep 18, 2007
  15. andyoz

andyoz

I agree. The PA market offers amazing value for money considering the R&D that goes on behind the scenes.

Gear made by the likes of Nexo, L-Acoustics, etc. can almost be listened to as semi-hifi (for rock music anyway).

The latest venue we are working on is installing an £80,000 L-Acoustics rig and the sound is truely amazing. It's a lot of money, but many people here probably have £10,000 invested in a system that can only fill a medium sized lounge room with decent dynamics. This L-Acoustics system will cover nearly 1000 people.

I would like to see some guys from the PA manufacturers R&D dept's go and dabble in the hifi market...imagine what they could produce with some of the ridiculous prices that many "audiophile" products sell for.

andyoz, Sep 18, 2007
  16. andyoz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i'm another BIG Funktion 1 fan - i've heard F1 systems at 3 events so far and each time i've come away even more impressed with their 'stacks'. i WILL own a pair suitable for home use some day.

julian2002, Sep 18, 2007
  17. andyoz

andyoz

Poking around the Funktion 1 site I found this interesting press release re Glastonbury.

http://www.funktion-one.com/Glastonbury-Sound-levels.htm
    http://www.funktion-one.com/lightingand sound_glastonbury the truth.htm

I had heard on the news that Michael Eavis said there were "issues" and knew there must be more to it than the media reported.

It's a shame that the sound system was blamed as they were clearly the victim of the variability of sound propagation with meteoroligical conditions. I have dealt with this and been in the same situation telling sound engineers to "turn it down" (I always hate doing it).

Most outdoor systems have considerable "headroom" and are limited by noise emission requirements. If you every get the chance to see a top flight system running at full whack, it is very impressive.

andyoz, Sep 18, 2007
  18. andyoz

andyoz

Probably doesn't make sense in a domestic environment but it sure would be a lot of fun.

Meyer's Melodie system is a wee cutie.

http://www.meyersound.com/mseries/melodie/

andyoz, Sep 18, 2007
  19. andyoz

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

must admit to not being a big fan of the function one stuff,however i love the sound of the flashlight and floodlight stuff, i remember its first appearance at Glastonbury around 1989, tony kept telling the system engineer to turn it up a bit more during initial testing,the vision of him leaping around in a pair of pink trousers to some dance track will haunt me for a very long time,Also im not a big fan of line arrays,well apart from L accoustics,and i do like the sound of the nexo geo.
    I did,last weekend,a nice little eaw rig (kf650's and 528's i think),lab gruppen amps. an ipod full of decent rock and outdoors with no noise restrictions,pity the DJ turned up to spoil the fun

themadhippy, Sep 18, 2007
  20. andyoz

andyoz

I like EAW stuff. I have a pair of JFX590's (driven by Lab.Gruppen) that we use to play LOUD pink noise into biggish rooms for sound insulation testing. They really take some punishment. I've also done a nightclub with a £200,000 EAW Avalon series rig. It could literally shake the whole buuilding and still had headroom left.

andyoz, Sep 18, 2007
Ask a Question