Lacking Bounce

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Aug 14, 2003.

1. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks

Im not useing the flexy for TT support, only other equipment
    my TT is currently sited on a wall shelf (dedicated TT shelf) i think its of Italian origin but the name escapes me

<edit>
    what is terrazzo, i thought it might be a supplier but google was fruitless

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2003
    penance, Aug 14, 2003
  2. merlin

Markus S Trade

It's a composite material that's also known as Granito. Try this link.

Markus S, Aug 14, 2003
  3. merlin

penance Arrogant Cock

thanks again :)

penance, Aug 14, 2003
  4. merlin

merlin

Indeed he could have Markus. I do feel however that the thinking behind the Vibraplane is somewhat more in keeping with the likes of Voodoo and Townsend than some products out there.

Well, we've finally got the FE singing:D And yes it is bloody impressive in a lot of ways. It trades some of the natural organicness of the SS for tighter bass, with more impact and far greater definition and detail retrieval.

With the Sink under the P30, we get something that gives a good balance of both the supports qualities, without any of their individual shortcomings spoiling things. Would still like to get that missing something, maybe try one of WM's cables;)

Do give the Lack a go though, it really does give life to some equipment, let us know how you get on.

merlin, Aug 14, 2003
  5. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Well, he was asked about the vibraplane!!!

For some reason you are extrapolating his answer to include the Seismic sink, which is not particularly wonderful in terms of sound quality, but good for footfall problems with the LP12.

What turntable are you using, Merlin?

The Devil, Aug 15, 2003
  6. merlin

Markus S Trade

Well, Merlin, if you look at the Vibraplane site , you will find there are two versions, one that works like the SS and one that 'bleeds' air continuously (thus needing a constant supply of air from an external pump). If you look at the performance figures, you'll find the latter version superior.

It is also my experience that even if two products follow more or less the same principle, they can still sound very much unalike. The Vibraplane seems to be built much more substantially, with thick metal plates, than the SS (which I've never heard, so I couldn't comment on its performance); I would expect the two products to sound different.

Note: I don't know which will sound better, I just would hesitate to deduce anything about the sound of one from the sound of the other.

Markus S, Aug 15, 2003
  7. merlin

merlin

Of Course Markus, now you are guilty of assuming that the reference relates to Vibraplane:D

So let's just settle on pneumatic shall we. I can confidently say that both the Voodoo and the Seismic Sink offer very similar benefits to each other, mainly in the areas of frequency extension and naturalness. Do I take it Markus that you are an advocate of iron and glass:confused: If so then I'd say neither would appeal. Horses for courses, one man's meat etc....;)

merlin, Aug 15, 2003
  8. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Third time of asking....

Ivor is referring to the LP12 turntable - is that what you have, Merlin?

The Devil, Aug 15, 2003
  9. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Silence

Well, judging from the silence I guess you don't have an LP12 Merlin.

So, to recap:

First, you've extrapolated Ivor's Tiefenbrun's opinion about the vibraplane support for the LP12 to include the seismic sink, and you've then extrapolated again by not using an LP12 upon the said seismic sink.

Is that right?

:D

The Devil, Aug 15, 2003
  10. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

James, Guess what I actually heard a TT, I could almost Live with :)
    A Well tempered Class, with a Keuotso Red Cart, tricked up delphini, not bad at all.
    And with Valves too, one of the most groovy musical sounds I've heard, quiet damn good in fact. I would seek one out for a long Listen James, not bad at all. WM

wadia-miester, Aug 15, 2003
  11. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Tony,

Ta for the recommendation. Opinion is divided about the Well-Tempered TTs. Jason Hector & His glovepuppet rave about them, everyone else I know doesn't.

About ten years ago, a well-known turntable reviewer was lent a turntable like mine on the basis that if he found anything else that he would rather use, he'd return it. He still has it now.

I'm very happy with it indeed, for now. ;)

The Devil, Aug 15, 2003
  12. merlin

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

>>>> James, Guess what I actually heard a TT, I could almost Live with
    A Well tempered Class, with a Keuotso Red Cart, tricked up delphini, not bad at all.

Now listen to a reference and you will be even more impressed.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Aug 15, 2003
  13. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Jason, this was no ordinary One :cool:, trust me You would Like it, Plus I've been reliably informed the Ref is only slightly better ;) WM

wadia-miester, Aug 15, 2003
  14. merlin

Markus S Trade

Merlin,

I'm not an advocate of anything. I've used Mana successfully in the past. These days, my tt sits on a trick wooden bench that's fastened to the wall. Both approaches are valid. I'm sure pneumatic suspension can be made to work, too. All I'm trying to say is that each product must be evaluated on its own merit. A design principle taken on its own means nothing , execution is everything.

Markus S, Aug 16, 2003
  15. merlin

Alex S User

One advantage of the Well Tempered range is you don't need a pile of angle iron in order to try and increase dynamic range and detail and decrease wow & flutter, colouration and mid-bass hump.

Alex

BTW - Just so as I'm not confused, 'Devil' is James McP isn't it, rather than Marco? Its so hard to tell them apart these days.

Alex S, Aug 16, 2003
  16. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

I can't say that I understand what it was that I have done to displease you, Alex. I thought that we were friends.

But I read a description of myself as a 'loony', written by you on another forum, along with a few other disparaging remarks, and now the ultimate insult [as far as I'm concerned] being compared to Marco. Nice one.

Perhaps you could drop me an e-mail to explain? That would be very kind of you.

James.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2003
    The Devil, Aug 16, 2003
  17. merlin

Alex S User

James, I see, glove puppet was retaliation not pre-emptive strike, fair enough. Sorry, but I've found your on-line persona lacking in your usual charm and wit recently and got a bit fed up with things like having old threads dragged up seemingly only to cause friction. Let's wipe the slate clean.

Alex

PS I've a new computer - my old email address book has vanished.

Alex S, Aug 17, 2003
  18. merlin

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Alex, what you got, I hope you havn't moved to the dark side?

garyi, Aug 17, 2003
  19. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

Agreed Alex, I've sent you an e-mail.

Good news that the well-tempered tt is perfect, for you at least.

Yes the "Mana makes me cry" thread was resurrected out of badness. Naughty sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2003
    The Devil, Aug 17, 2003
  20. merlin

Alex S User

Gary, I got me a souped-up eMac - one of the few good reasons to be a teacher is I get my Mac educational discount.

Alex

Alex S, Aug 17, 2003
Ask a Question