Largest subwoofer driver...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by KUB3, Mar 1, 2006.

1. KUB3

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

PPS, last time I enjoyed the Ravel instrumented verison of Mussorskies pictures they had 4 Kettle Drums on stage, each of them loosely tuned and around 32" diameter.

Even accounting for room size differences, that is still major displacement. It does scare readily my 1" linear throw dual 12" subwoffer into a quivering heap of jelly.

Arguably, I rarely listen to St Saen's #3 or the 'pictures', but is that because my system is too limited in the codpiece department or just because warhorses pease at times, but not all times.....

L8er T

3DSonics, Mar 3, 2006
  2. KUB3

KUB3 ciao

The important aspect is pressure, not stand alone dimensions of drivers. The ratio of cone area to room volume is key.

A 6" driver could produce the same low frequency pressure in a small bedroom, as a 24" driver in a huge living room or open place space. In the same way headphones could produce the same low end pressure in your ears, as 100 24" drivers in wembley stadium.

That aside, I was wondering if I could persuade my girlfriend that a PD24 would make an ideal industrial chic fruit bowl.

KUB3, Mar 3, 2006
  3. KUB3

Hi,

Yes and no. There are aspects where room size & pressure vs. diaphragm surface don't quite square up. Try it.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Mar 3, 2006
  4. KUB3

Dev Moderator

Lighten up T. What is the point of a 30" driver in a car or SUV etc? In a proper place, no issues at all.

Dev, Mar 3, 2006
  5. KUB3

Hi,

I think, the point is in the context of "SPL Drag Racing", where having a nice 30" Cone backed by a few 100 Liters sealed box (car interior) and driven by a kilowatt or two should "out drag" all and sundary competition....

Ciao T

3DSonics, Mar 3, 2006
  6. KUB3

Dev Moderator

T, after carefully thinking about your argument in this topic, I think the most appropriate answer is ...

BOLLOX!!! :D.

P.S. I think you are taking this far too seriously.

Dev, Mar 4, 2006
  7. KUB3

andersh

andersh, Mar 30, 2006
Ask a Question