Meaty Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ultrasonic, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Ultrasonic

PeteH Natural Blue

In almost every case I find people enormously exaggerate differences, and I'd normally agree with you. However, from what I heard in my 783 / 21L comparison, the term "murder" is appropriate in this case. :)

Each to his own of course, and YMMV. And like you say the 783s weren't necessarily the best in the 78 series (although they were Diapason's [like Gramophone only French] 'best speakers of 2000'), but they're the only ones which gave enough bass weight for my tastes. Shame they were pretty poor otherwise. :p

PeteH, Jun 27, 2004
  2. Ultrasonic

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

pah all these toy amps being mentioned,ya wants a meaty amp get a pair of these babys,maybe a little out of AT's price range,but at 6000 watts into 4 ohms you shouldnt be short of headroom for most speakers

themadhippy, Jun 28, 2004
  3. Ultrasonic

Mart Smog Dodger

Jeez Hip, if he got those he could make a few quid weldin cars up wi the current they can giv. :D :D :D

Mart, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Ultrasonic

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

wow hippy, 6000w p/ch!!! says you can use it as a stereo amp for 1,500w per/ch

I'd like to see the sucker on a sub!! :D

bottleneck, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Ultrasonic

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

What sort of meaty amp is that?
    Only 12.4Kgs, and figures quoted as Peak Power Output? That's a Dixons amp and no mistake :D

leonard smalls, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Roz, how about a Rotel 1062, then on a latter date add a RB1070? Arcams sound abit safe and cuddly to me, im after something that kicks like a mule :D
    How do the Elektra's sound? They sure look sweeeet :p

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Ultrasonic

sideshowbob Trisha

Ultra, is your avatar a picture of you? If it is, how's life after Kajagoogoo?

[​IMG]

Sonneteer Bronte digital integrated @ £800 is very good. 150WPC into 8ohms, should be enough for most people.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jun 28, 2004
  8. Ultrasonic

Alex S User

Another vote for the Rotel 1062. I've got one now at home with a 1070 CDP and AE1s. Its bloody good for the money - rather better with AE1s than a 32.5/HC/110 and probably only a bit worse than a 32.5/HC/250. Its also a better match than the Densen DM10 which I also tried.

Alex S, Jun 28, 2004
  9. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Bob i dont think my hairs quite as big as that :eek: its also more red now :D
    Funn yenough, they stock Soneteer amps at my local Hughes electrical! :confused: next to the washing machines and freezers hehe. I'll try get hold of 1 for a serious thrashing.The branch that stocks em dont really do washing machines :p

Alex,what will you say the Rotel 1062's main strengths are?It sure got good press etc. oh boy im looking forward to get my grubby mits on it!

Ultra :D

Ultrasonic, Jun 28, 2004
  10. Ultrasonic

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I imagine the RA-1062 will share similar Rotel traits to other Rotel amps, but with a tad more refinement - that is, a clean, detailed and punchy sound, with good timing, and fun to listen to.

PBirkett, Jun 28, 2004
  11. Ultrasonic

Alex S User

Ultra, Paul's on the button; by reputation, also a touch less dry without being lush.

Alex S, Jun 28, 2004
  12. Ultrasonic

The Devil IHTFP

"Dry" & "lush" !!?? Imaging and air next?

How did you ever get into Naim in the first place? Give in to the inner Levinson/Krell enthusiast, Naim was a wrong turning for you.

The Devil, Jun 28, 2004
  13. Ultrasonic

Rory satisfied

couldn't honestly tell u about the 1062s, but a biamping idea sounds sweet.

one thing to bear in mind though, if you're looking to increase the bass weight is to factor in the size of your room. you're not going to get any more bass than what you have because, no offence, its not the largest bedroom ever, like mine

Electra's are running in nicely thanks. With the sub, its an awesome combination and i feel happy with the results :)

Rory, Jun 28, 2004
  14. Ultrasonic

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

Thats a fine sub you have there Roz!I saw one on ebay, is that the 1? doesnt it have a 30cm driver :JPS: Yeah, i know what you mean by my room being small!Cant quite afford to move out yet :(
    Im not looking for more bass coz the m53 has plenty, just looking for snappier response, sometimes in a dense mix like Rage against the machine low level detail loses its definition.will keep you guys posted on my demo of the Rotel which will be sometime this week :)

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Jun 28, 2004
  15. Ultrasonic

PBirkett VTEC Addict

U aint gonna get much more bass [volume] from a speaker than you get from the M53's I'd imagine, full stop. The M5x range were designed to give a very full bass sound, and on this score, they deliver. However, the bass is somewhat on the slightly softer side, so you'll need an amp like a Rotel to help balance it out a bit.

PBirkett, Jun 28, 2004
  16. Ultrasonic

analoguekid Planet Rush

Think you might have to get ready to defend this Paul, For once I aint saying anything else.

analoguekid, Jun 28, 2004
  17. Ultrasonic

technobear Ursine Audiophile

He's young. He'll learn :D

technobear, Jun 28, 2004
  18. Ultrasonic

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

If he makes it to the bakeoff on saturday then this opinion may well change. I had someone looking for the hidden sub in my old room, and the current room is way better in this respect (deeper node).

I-S, Jun 28, 2004
  19. Ultrasonic

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ah the arrogance of youth:D, remember being young, but life goes on Different year, same old shite!

they're being pretty kind to you so far Paul, just wait till merlin reads this, and LS and WM,.....to "Naim" a few

analoguekid, Jun 28, 2004
  20. Ultrasonic

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

i have :D and another 3 doing bass mid and top duties,sounded rather nice,maybe a little on the loud side for a 700 seater venue but :JOEL:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2004
    themadhippy, Jun 28, 2004
Ask a Question