More awful pictures of Mana

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Jan 30, 2004.

1. The Devil

Graham C

Well I think it looks just dandy.

When you are supporting to that degree though, I still don't see how it can be better at isolating + damping than any number of alternatives - such as 0.5m high pile of paper or breeze blocks stacked with carpet/rubber mats/whatever. Still, I haven't heard it. Hi to Slavka as well, will she become the export agent for Mana in E. Europe??

Graham C, Jan 30, 2004
  2. The Devil

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Bub. I will probably take you up on that offer one day as I have never been north of Halesowen (No seriously)

But you know it and I know it, the SBL is altogether more attractive ;)

garyi, Jan 30, 2004
  3. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Thanks Graham,

I think what Mana stacks do is act as a sympathetic resonator. As it's mated to whatever is on it, that thing vibrates a bit less. The more you add, the better the vibration management.

You would be most welcome Gary. I shall refrain from commenting on the aesthetic appeal of the you-know-whats!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2004
    The Devil, Jan 30, 2004
  4. The Devil

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Bub,

Incredibly impressive and serious looking stuff.

I must admit I wondered about the sonic effects of moving the speakers further off the ground than perhaps ATC intended?

NB Have you got a rug down there? looks a bit.. reflective/barren? I only mention cos Im on a room acoustics crusafe at the minute in my own home..!

Anyway, I see your point about 'architectural and meaningful' type of appearance. Serious looking would be another.

bottleneck, Jan 30, 2004
  5. The Devil

dunkyboy

The speakers being way up there on those layers and layers of Mana is a bit disconcerting at first - both visually and aurally - but you quickly get used to it and just enjoy the music. :MILD:

It is a great system, and yes the 100s are charming speakers once you hear them in action. They're so large and imposing that when you put on something light and delicate - only to hear the speakers be just as light and delicate as any minimonitor - it's quite an eye/ear-opener. ATC really do know how to make a loudspeaker (I should know, I'm on my second set of ATC actives - nothing as mighty as James', but in my room the 20s are about as big as I could want!)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 30, 2004
  6. The Devil

Sid and Coke

Bub,
    Wow thats some iron works you got there ! I like the look of Mana, upto a point.
    looking at the way your TT is situated, do you find it difficult cuing up records 'side on' so so to speak, or is that just the camera angle and distance playing tricks with my eyes.

Sid and Coke, Jan 30, 2004
  7. The Devil

LinnkUp

yeah, yeah, yeah guys.......all well & good....... but can we please have a picture of Slavka??

LinnkUp, Jan 31, 2004
  8. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Hi Bottleneck, yes the rug was away for cleaning when I took the photos, got it back yesterday, and yes the system/room sounds a lot better with it back in - better bass particularly.

Hi S & C, yes I have to cue 'side-on' so to speak. This is a little-finger job with the Aro - a seriously frightening arm at the best of times - but one adapts.

Hi Duncan, thanks for the good words, next time you are through give us a call.

The Devil, Jan 31, 2004
  9. The Devil

LinnkUp

I guess not.

LinnkUp, Jan 31, 2004
  10. The Devil

Steven Toy

Slavka je pekna Zena?

My old administrator was called Slavka when I lived and worked in Slovakia. I hope yours not only looks better...

Steven Toy, Jan 31, 2004
  11. The Devil

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

I was just thinking... Would they let you have it when you move to the asylum? :JOEL: :duck:

Your girlfriend either thinks like I do or she is an angel. Anyway, she must love you very much. :JPS:

Rodrigo de Sá, Jan 31, 2004
  12. The Devil

Paul Duerden

Well if you are going to have a hobby don't piss about do the job properly, is what Bub's system says to me. A Hi Fi is a tool to do a job not an object of beauty or a thing to be revered. I mean how may people pick a power drill or a concrete mixer on looks, you simply want the best tool you can afford to do the job.

Bub's system is simply a superb tool for reproducing music, in fact one of the best I have heard, and personally I think it has a certain aesthetic Bauhausian charm.

Paul Duerden, Jan 31, 2004
  13. The Devil

adam

Yeah,but you don't keep a power drill or cement mixer in your living room though do you.

adam, Jan 31, 2004
  14. The Devil

Paul Duerden

I don't have a.Hi Fi in the main living room, the HI Fi has space all of it's own in our front room. Must put that power drill away though.

15. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

Thanks for the info james, sounds like that shelf may be what i could do with, Ill check the site to get a better look :)

penance, Jan 31, 2004
  16. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Be very careful, penance, you might just like it! Two and a half years ago, I started out just with a single, solitary Mana sound-shelf. And now look.

I have 41 items of Mana. If you add the spirit level, then that's.....

42, dude.

Yes, weight is not an issue for the shelf itself, but the fixings are critical. My dealer arranged for a joiner to come & drill in & fix 4 'f-off' high tensile steel bolts for my shelf. Totally rock-solid. Highly recommended.

The Devil, Jan 31, 2004
  17. The Devil

penance Arrogant Cock

LoL
    I may have to cover it with something with WAF:)

I wonder how it would be with a non suspended deck........

penance, Jan 31, 2004
  18. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The WAF is no problem once the needle hits the groove...my photos don't really do it justice - have a look at JW's recent photos on their forum.

Their are a number of Mana users with non-suspended decks, ask on their forum. You may view that forum as somewhat 'biased', but it isn't in fact. I think the main effect is dissipation of unwanted vibrations generated within the deck, i.e. motor noise and that of the stylus.

The Devil, Jan 31, 2004
  19. The Devil

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Nice Troika...

One thing though - I'd be SCARED STIFF having the ATCs on top of all that glass - they're bloody heavy! Based on Henryt's old SCM50As, the 100's must be back breaking...

domfjbrown, Jan 31, 2004
  20. The Devil

Paul Duerden

At a Manchester show the 150s which make the 100s look like bookshelves were on the glass. No problems it's very tough stuff.

Ask a Question