My new Fiesta one month on - report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

felix part-time Horta

I like the radio off so I can hear the crunch from the cats I run over. Is that so wrong?

Oh, and because generally the engine sounds better than R1.

felix, Nov 22, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Oh dear!

penance, Nov 23, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Indeed.

garyi, Nov 23, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Car is currently off the road. The clutch has started to slip and I have been quoted £165 for a new one, given the car has other issues I am now trying to sell the car for as much as I can get considering it still drives and has 5 months MOT left and two brand new tyres. If it dosn't sell then I will get the clutch done and a fresh MOT (should pass as I have corrected anything which would fail an MOT).

I now have the following choices:-

1) Try and sell it for £300 considering it has an MOT, these cars tend go for £600 generally and just needs a clutch.

2) Sell it for £200 but swap some of the iffty sensors on my dads wit mine, the car would run like a bag of spanners but at least my dads running problems would be fixed.

3) Get a fresh MOT and a new clutch fitted which should then give me a motor for 12 months, though given the luck I have had this car I would probably sell it 6 months later.

amazingtrade, Dec 15, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

the car has other issues

what, like having to get in through the sun roof?

Bob McC, Dec 15, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

That is a bit of sore point, cost £80 to get that fixed in the end including a new CV boot as my mechanic noticed it was split. It needed a new door latch.

The other issue is lack of coolant, it was 1/3 full when I checked yesterday and it was just water it was a bit rusty clour , I've Comma stuff and I will keep an eye on it. There is certainly no issues about it overheating so not too worried about that.

7. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I'd stick with it and get the repairs done.

What else are you going to do? Sell it, get another cheap car that will quite probably have just as much wrong with it, or possibly worse?

Better the devil you know..... assuming it is just the clutch.

MO!, Dec 15, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

why am I not surprised with this reply today..?

mr cat, Dec 15, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

I am not really sure if it is just the clutch. It is now lumpy occasionaly in 3rd this sympton seemed to happen when the clutch failed but I can't see how a slipping clutch would cause that?

On the plus side even after not ben used for four days and sitting in -3c it started first time, it dosn't burn oil and seems ok on fuel. There is however an occasional buzzing noise from the engine and I am worried this could be the fuel pump which could explain the lumpyness but then why would it only do it in 3rd? Unless it is an ECU issue which controls the fuel pump/injectors.

I've had some interest in my car, but if I don't get £285 for it which I probably won't then a fresh 12 months MOT and a new clutch seems the best option, with a 12 months MOT I would probably be happier of the safety of it.

I've also had a good look round the chasis and its pretty sound underneath for a 13 year old car, there is some rust where the tow bar was but thats it.

Edit I have seen a Daweoo Lanos with FSH and one previous owner, four new tyres, 12 months MOT, FSH and 60k it might be worth a visit after Christmas (the way cars are selling atm a Daweoo would be still be there next Christmas!).

10. amazingtrade

yeah, even if you get a 12 mot - it doesn't mean you won't have problems...but of course you already know that! :D

mr cat, Dec 15, 2008
  11. amazingtrade

Indeed but it will be nice knowing my brakes have passed a rolling road test etc. When I bought the car scrap metal was still worth something the day I bought my car scrap prices fell through the floor so this would make it harder to sell.

It could be a lot worse though, I could have paid £3000 for a Corsa only to find the camshaft snaps on me.

12. amazingtrade

yeah, I've an old banger myself - paid out 1200 notes on tax, mot, clutch, brake system (got shafted there) and a few other bits and pieces...and it runs fine despite laying a fair amount more than it's worth...

would I do the same..? not sure...as I got shafted by kwik scum (710 notes) but they had me by the short and curlies... :(

mr cat, Dec 15, 2008
  13. amazingtrade

Was that the Primera? Seemed to remember reading something somebody with a Nissan who went to Kwikfit at spending £700.

I am not entirely sure about my brakes because they do make a noise, however I they are ok, I have tested them on a quiet road and they don't pull to the left and they are sharp but the noise must be something on its way out. It might just be rust on the discs but then that should have cleared by now as I have done 250 miles in it since it was left standing before I bought it.

It seems with my car a new cylinder head is £25 etc so if I could do the work myself everything is so cheap I reckon even a new head gasket could be had for £100 inc labour but the £80 labour charges are adding up.

With older cars I think you also have to offset the cost of repairs and what it is worth to the cost of finance and depreciation of a newer car. A £4000 car might loose £1000 in the first year of ownership.

14. amazingtrade

yep - the primera....new brake discs and pads (front and rear), rear calipers and a rear brake pipe...

I suspect most (if not all) the work had to be done, but the cost was scandalous!

mr cat, Dec 15, 2008
  15. amazingtrade

You might have been able to complain too late now though. For the MOT my dad needed new pipes, some adjusted to the drum, a load of other silly things like head light allignment and it only cost £200 inc the cert.

I pay around £25 an hour for labour and its still extrmely expensive as it all adds up.

16. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

At some point in time AT, and I know its not yet for you, but at some point in your life you might just move away from Fiestas, because at some point in time you are going to realise that they are SHIT.

HahahahhAHhha

garyi, Dec 16, 2008
  17. amazingtrade

DavidF

Yes, but I wouldn't ignore a cost/time penalty with older cars.

ie every hour spent under the bonnet of your fiesta is an houir lost in business. ;)

DavidF, Dec 17, 2008
  18. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

If you want a life free of expense and stress don't buy a car.

I've had every kind of vehicle under the sun from old banger to old classic to brand new 'prestige'.

They all need fixing.
    They all need servicing.
    They all need maintaining.
    They all need fuelling.
    They all need insuring.
    They all need taxing.

The bottom line is this. If you have a £1000 car and you are going to spend £1000 getting it up to scratch, after your expense, it is likely to be in better shape than a £2000 car on some forecourt. Unless, it's a major fault like new engine or tranny, you won't get much savings on buying a 'fresh' car. Although that said, I do know lots of people who have spent £2K on their £750 car because they love it so much and couldn't part with it.

Seeker_UK, Dec 17, 2008
  19. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

What Gary said, if you want a cheap runaround, buy a Micra. I've said it countless times, just as you've bought a crap Ford countless times.
    Does it still drive, or is the clutch slipping badly? Does it need adjusting, or has the adjuster failed.
    Get it fixed, you're throwing £300 away to save £165. If that's not stupidity I don't know what is

lordsummit, Dec 17, 2008
  20. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

You're going to try swapping a cylinder head yourself?? :eek:

Good luck with that - just let me know when you want to fire it up, I'd like to be some distance away! ;)

RDD, Dec 17, 2008
Ask a Question