My new Fiesta one month on - report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

At the underside of you car seems fine and I believe you really do have an issue with worrying over nothing. You need to do something with your life, seriously.

On a side note I have had two clutches go, where they bite on the peddle does not seems to have been related. Basically you put it in gear, think its in gear but its not in gear at all its slipped into neutral. Once its really gone it will slip out of gear on you for no reason.

So if when leaving a traffic light you have put it into 1st and start going but it just revs like a bitch, then your clutch has slipped.

(in my experience)

garyi, Dec 19, 2008
  2. amazingtrade

themadhippy seen it done it smokin it

Try taking the handbrake off next time

themadhippy, Dec 19, 2008
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Thanks Garyi it does sound like what I have been having, it has slipped out of gear a couple of times, but that is over nearly 300 miles. I am going to do the hill test and I will know for sure if it is slipping.

As longs as the rest of the car is running well now I will just get the clutch replaced, I didn't want to spend £160 on a new clutch to find out my fuel pump was on its last legs otr something. Any atm it is perfectly drivable.

amazingtrade, Dec 19, 2008
  4. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

:D

mr cat, Dec 19, 2008
  5. amazingtrade

Just done another 12 miles in it. Fine very smooth no miss fire, so thats now 30 miles its ran OK, so it is looking like it was just a result of letting the petrol get too low and thus crap got into the fuel system.

Clutch in the main was fine, it did slip out of gear once, and it did seem to rev a little bit when I put into 3rd but other than it was fine. Biting point was middle to top, rather than at the top, there was still some feel in the pedal.

So it seems like I will need a new clutch at some point but because of my low milleage hopefully its not urgent.

amazingtrade, Dec 20, 2008
  6. amazingtrade

yeah, from my experience when the clutch goes it's a gradual process...sounds like its ok for now... :)

mr cat, Dec 20, 2008
  7. amazingtrade

scott_01

Yes. This is what it takes to fail an MOT due to lack of chassis integrity, and hence this is why the vast majority of cars don't fail on this.

And you are right, most modern cars are much better. However,
    when I look at the bottom of my car it doesn't exactly look like it's just come out of the salon. Typically has a decent coating of dust / mud / shit from the road etc. That said, the chassis is perfectly fine. The bottom of AT's car looks fine, he'll see a lot worse over the years thats for sure.

AT: put some of that fuel cleaner through your system. Chuck a whole tub in (as per instructions) on a full tank. It'll help get rid of some of the crap you've dragged through the system by running near empty.

scott_01, Dec 21, 2008
  8. amazingtrade

Yep Scott I intend to that got some redex in the shed. I hope I will get away without having to change the fuel filter, it sounds a bit of a dangerious job.

I am buying a good trolley jack and some stands after Christmas so I will be able to go get under there and put some wax on the chasis to stop it from rusting too quickly.

amazingtrade, Dec 21, 2008
  9. amazingtrade

Car is still running fine but suspension noise is getting worse. Taking into an MOT tomorrow to see how bad it is as a neighbour reckons it might pass with advisories if it does it would make my car worth quite a lot more.

If it fails then I have found a cheap garage to do some work and my neighbour who used to run his own garage is going to show me how to the brake pipes (I will do the job as he supervises).

If it fails then I have been driving round in a dangerous car, if it passes it still needs work but at least I know the rest is ok.

amazingtrade, Jan 13, 2009
  10. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

You've not done the brakepipes yet!:yikes:

Bob McC, Jan 13, 2009
  11. amazingtrade

DavidF

:)

DavidF, Jan 13, 2009
  12. amazingtrade

DavidF

sorry at

;)

DavidF, Jan 13, 2009
  13. amazingtrade

It failed due to excessive corrosion, it seems my imagination and worry was all valid. Brake pipes not properly supported and need replacing also rusted, excessive corrosion in rear suspension compound mount what ever that means. Basically it passed the emisions with flying colours everything was well within the limits its the body work which has caused the problem.

amazingtrade, Jan 14, 2009
  14. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you need to buy a new car then - repairing corrosion is expensive and a pain - most garages really don't like welding.

If the engines sound in your Fiesta though you should get a few bob selling it even as MOT failure.

Seeker_UK, Jan 14, 2009
  15. amazingtrade

Wait, I know get another piece of shit fiesta. At some point you'll learn.

garyi, Jan 14, 2009
  16. amazingtrade

mr cat, Jan 16, 2009
  17. amazingtrade

Spent the day looking at cars today and despite the credit crunch all the cars I can afford to insure under £2k were shedsd like mine. So I am now going to get a quote for the welding work.

amazingtrade, Jan 18, 2009
  18. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

HOLD ON! You can get some top cars < £2K.

What sort of thing are you looking to buy?

What's your dream car?

What's the sort of thing you can afford to insure?

Is there anything it must have (hatch, auto etc)

Seeker_UK, Jan 18, 2009
  19. amazingtrade

I think he is saying to insure for less the £2,000p.a

I think AT looks at cars around the £300 region and has not worked out yet that this is generally a very expensive way of doing things.

garyi, Jan 18, 2009
  20. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

O-I-C :D

If an insurance quote = £2000, you can definitely get a cheaper quote - and there are other ways to bring it down. :)

Seeker_UK, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question