My new Fiesta one month on - report

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Nov 15, 2008.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

OK I am very bust atm and I away in London the next couple of days and due to me cocking up the mobatix I having to go by coach :(

Anyway on Wednesday Iam going to get a quote for the brake pipes and welding and £150 is my limit. If I can get it done for that price I have a car with 12 months MOT.

If not I have seen a 1.2 16V Corsa B, 1999 T, 42K, 2 previous owners, full service history for £1300 with 6 months warranty.

I am limited of choice of car due to insurance reasons I have tried everything from a Volvo V70 to a 1.0 Corsa and for my circumstanced engine size makes a massive difference.

I meant £2k but I meant I can't find anything much better than what I already have for less than £2k which I can afford to insure.

I am paying £880 now and I got about 150 quotes!

On the plus side to my Fiesta the engine is very healthy (emisions back that up) and its very cheap to repair there is no real major expensive things that can go wrong.

amazingtrade, Jan 18, 2009
  2. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

You are joking?

Even a quick look on Autotrader can find lots which should be affordable to insure:

Daewoo Matiz (should cost < £1000 for even a low mileage example)
    Seat Arosa
    Hyundai Accent
    Skoda Felicia
    Subaru Justy
    Suzuki Swift 1.0 or 1.3

Or look for something > 10 years old for < £1000 and insure Third Party and run your NCB up. Check this for example:

Merecedes 190E Auto

Seeker_UK, Jan 18, 2009
  3. amazingtrade

RDD Longterm Lurker

You should be able to find something with a galvanised body and reliable Japanese running gear for £2k really AT, like Seeker said, have a browse on Autotrader - you may have to go further a field to find one but should be no problems.

RDD, Jan 18, 2009
  4. amazingtrade

Most of those cars above are on HJ's high death risk in accidents inc the Nissan Micra.

One of the jap cars I was looking at is the early Almeras I can afford the insurance but they rust and rust. The MK2s are better but out of my price range. I am really thinking a Skoda Fabia but again they are too pricey for what they are. A Seat Ibiza MK2 is another one was going to see one but the sellers seemed a bit fishy so I didn't bother.

PS most cars this age should be reliable, even my current one is its simplicity really I am after, I would prefer a cam driven engine but I can't be too fussy.

This is the underneath I just put my camera underneath so could not get a pic of the fail area but you get the idea, I would imagine the bit it failed on was a lot worse.

[​IMG]

amazingtrade, Jan 18, 2009
  5. amazingtrade

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Most of those cars above are on HJ's high death risk in accidents inc the Nissan Micra.

Don't drive then you old woman!

Bob McC, Jan 18, 2009
  6. amazingtrade

Andy 831

FFS I really don`t know why you bother driving AT...

Andy 831, Jan 19, 2009
  7. amazingtrade

Seeker_UK

All cars rust - I would suggest a well cared for Almera will be less likely to rust that a Ford Fester.

If you're unsure what to look for, cut your budget by £200 and get the RAC to inspect one.

Here's a good one:

Link

2000 W Reg NISSAN Almera 1.5 SE
    5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 69,000 miles, RED. ABS, Adjustable seats, Air conditioning, Central locking, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Radio/Cassette, Side airbags, Rear headrests, excellent condition throughout, service records, CD Multichanger.,warranty and part ex welcome £1,495

Trade Seller:
    Contact Seller:
    Highfield Finance

Contact number: (01535) 644700

Keighly.

Seeker_UK, Jan 19, 2009
  8. amazingtrade

DavidF

AT, my dear chap, you are worse than me ......and thats some accolade....

Just buy the bloody thing.

DavidF, Jan 19, 2009
  9. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

AT, get a bus pass ffs.

penance, Jan 19, 2009
  10. amazingtrade

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

Seriously AT, get a bus pass, I really don;t think you should be on the road.

garyi, Jan 19, 2009
  11. amazingtrade

T-bone Sanchez

:D

Anal isn't the word!

AT, my first car was a 1984 VW Polo and guess what, I'm still here!

T-bone Sanchez, Jan 19, 2009
  12. amazingtrade

SMEagol Because we wants it...

TOP TIP: When test driving a car, stick yellow and black check circles on your head climb in nude and plough into a wall at 30mph while being filmed slowly to see how safe it is.
    The seller may not be happy with this method but reassure him with promise of an NCAP rating being in the post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
    SMEagol, Jan 19, 2009
  13. amazingtrade

scott_01

Dude! Are you planning on smashing into a fucking tree on a daily basis or something? Sweet Jesus, get a grip man!

Unless you have young children, or have the cash for a nice car with some decent airbags and proper chassis (you don't); then I'd just stop worrying. There is risk to everything, so go and buy a suzuki swift, brother had one * it was a great little car.

Ask the mechanic to show you where the offending rust is. As I said, to fail it has to seriously impair structural integrity.

BTW that picture looks shitloads worse than the last one you posted.

Look here:

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-cog.html

Can anyone who lives in Manchester go round to his house and Give AT a shooing , er I mean some advice? Oh and prise open his wallet, he's tight as two coats of paint.

P.S. I've just read the rest of these posts, :D looks like everyone has already said this, ha ha ha.

* It got written off, you will be relieved to know he didn't throw a seven in the crash, he was fine. Head on from female lunatic who drove into him while he was stopped at lights and she wanted to cut corners. I am pleased to report that there were no deaths, despite the Swift not having the same crash test score as a Challenger II.

scott_01, Jan 19, 2009
  14. amazingtrade

DavidF

yup

AT,

Perhats enough has been said on the forum already....:)

I drove a vauxhall chevette (18yoa to 22).....a real go cart on wheels if ever there was one.....then an astra mk1 which wasn't a whole lot better (22 to 30!).

Incidently I stuffed (rolled) the astra big style (the less said the better now)......but got out with out a scratch (but minus glasses :D).

Might I make a (friendly) point/suggestion?

....if you think you do mither (and I know I do!) think hard if self employment is for you...........

I know it wasn't for me!

:)

DavidF, Jan 20, 2009
  15. amazingtrade

DavidF

AT you have a pm

DavidF, Feb 3, 2009
  16. amazingtrade

Sorry for the late reply, have the flu so not been online.

I sold my Fiesta last week, got a bit of money for it, I could have got more but I was very honest about the state of the chasis etc, the buyer seemed very placed with the car and told me how he will get the car through the MOT but thats not to repeated on here :D

Still looking out for cars but I am really taking me time, going to see a nice low milleage Focus at a Ford dealer but its slightly over budget at £2k.

amazingtrade, Feb 3, 2009
  17. amazingtrade

Yea make sure the fuel pump is good, mine has just gone. £600 quid for the part then labour which will send it just north of £1k

Thankfully I am covered on the warranty.

garyi, Feb 3, 2009
  18. amazingtrade

The dreaded curse of model diesels then? I never quite understand how it can cost £1k labour to change a fuel pump, I mean thats a months wages for a lot of us!

amazingtrade, Feb 3, 2009
  19. amazingtrade

Well I meant a grand all in, but yea its about £40 an hour round here, or about twice what a doctor gets I should imagine.

garyi, Feb 4, 2009
  20. amazingtrade

SMEagol Because we wants it...

...my garage said come back in a couple of months as we know you're skint.

nice.

SMEagol, Feb 4, 2009
Ask a Question