new cartridge question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bottleneck, Jun 9, 2006.

1. bottleneck

anon_bb Honey Badger

Very interesting thread - my 103s do hum a bit - I have twisted all the wires but havent added heatshrink.

anon_bb, Jul 10, 2006
  2. bottleneck

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Here's a strange earthing problem, getting in the way of my otherwise happy bliss...

got an earthing hum now (that I didnt have before)... and this is the weird bit... it dissapears when you engage the step up transformer!

Remove the tonearm earthing lead from its anchor on the 834P, and it hums like a banshee - 100 times louder.

Any ideas?

bottleneck, Jul 10, 2006
  3. bottleneck

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

To use the 103 do the following:

1) Confirm there is continuity from the screen wire to the case.

2) Twist the output wires and SCREEN THEM. You MUST screen the output wires, this is a very low level AND high impedance node. Connect the screen on the output wires to the screen wire and connect this joint screen to a flylead that connects to the ground binding post on your preamp together with tonearm ground.

3) If your Armwire is pseudobalanced, that is two seperate conductors for signal and return, screen seperatly terminated in a flying lead which gets connected to the ground post on the chassis, leave the inputs "ground" floating, otherwise you MUST connect input ground and output ground together, ideally by using seperate flyleads to the ground post.

It is by far preferable to build the transformers into the preamplifier and to keep the secondary wiring (which still should be screened unless the case is solid metal and has no noise producing components inside) short. In such a case a switch should be provided to allow the selection between floating primary and grounded primary.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 10, 2006
  4. bottleneck

anon_bb Honey Badger

2) You mean wrap something round them? I think I have done the rest.

anon_bb, Jul 10, 2006
  5. bottleneck

Hi,

No. DO NOT "wrap something around them".

Apply proper screening braid. Get some from RS or Farnell.

In a pinch get some RG-213 heavy duty coax cable from Maplin and steal the braid from that.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 10, 2006
  6. bottleneck

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well thats the kind of thing I meant ;)

anon_bb, Jul 10, 2006
  7. bottleneck

anon_bb Honey Badger

Or maybe I meant tinfoil...

anon_bb, Jul 10, 2006
  8. bottleneck

nando nando

having worked for island records, trojan, and so forth, i can say "for all is worth" that most of all the equipment we used was never an issue on specs but more to do with the ear, from amcrom to quad to hand made and desings units, it was all left to the right trained human ear, mistakes were made on a lot of recordings due to heavy drinking and drugs byengeneeres, hence the near field monitors, infamous for creating high frecuncies so the master could hear this on his aproach to proceed with the finish produt, not everybody hears the same but there is a meeting point were satisfaction can be achieved with out compromise...

nando, Jul 10, 2006
  9. bottleneck

my earthing problem has been located - it is the dimmer on the lounge lights which is causing the hum. Turn the light switch off and it goes. It is only the dimmer that does it.

Anyone fixed humming dimmer switches for phono stages? - I'm sure I've read something on this before....

bottleneck, Jul 10, 2006
  10. bottleneck

Hi,

Who cut your lacquers?

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 11, 2006
  11. bottleneck

BUMP!!!!!

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2006
  12. bottleneck

Grind?

3DSonics, Jul 11, 2006
  13. bottleneck

titian

I don't believe that there is something like a "right trained human ear".
    What "you" hear is a result of so many factors, some of them which cannot be influenced by the person himself.
    I believe that also (for example technical, musical, ...) knowledge infuences what we hear. "Training" the ear is only a smal factor and also in that there is no such right way for doing that.

titian, Jul 11, 2006
  14. bottleneck

Hi,

Typhically what really happens is that your Phonostage/Wiring/Cartridge/Turntable picks up noise. If you cannot improve the screening, you need to stop using the Dimmer.

Dimmers are a noise nightmare everywhere. Some models can be be quieter than others. But basically, it is the same as in that old doctors joke:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do that!"
    Doctor: "Then don't do it!"

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 11, 2006
  15. bottleneck

Lord .

The forthcoming HFW review of the 103 and 103r was inspired by the large amount of mail the HFW editors got and the lively discussion on the WD forum.
    They have got the chap who positively reviewed the old Lenco idler drive recently to do the Denons review, it seems that he was quite thorough by getting a few to check his findings. He was also fully aware of the 'headshell mass' issue and any other tips and tricks recommended to get the best out of it.

HFW will measure the cartridge the same way they do every other cartridge, so if it measures as implied before, the differences noted will be an accurate comparison to other cartridges.

As to why the 103 is so cheap - easy, age! The cartridge is so old that the R&D costs will have been recouped years ago, all you're paying for now is materials, manufacture and markups. (I haven't seen any recent marketing for the 103, but add this to the list if you like!).

And talking of markups, why is the Kontrapunkt B listed at £750 on some UK websites, whereas any sane person would buy from Germany for less than £415?
    Are dealers bent that far over a barrel by greedy UK importers?
    Or is it the UK importer's philosophy to cynically make an excessive profit per cartridge but reduce overheads/support by selling less than they could at a fair profit?

Lord, Jul 11, 2006
  16. bottleneck

How much was the cartridge when it was released, if age is the reason that it is now inexpensive?

bottleneck, Jul 11, 2006
  17. bottleneck

Malky

Sorry but whats all this Needle,,..Its a stylus

Malky, Feb 26, 2007
  18. bottleneck

Malky

Sorry I know im being pernickety, but I just had to mention it, we have to be professional. I am a keen cyclist as well and it equates to calling the top tube of your frame a cross bar..... really.

Malky, Feb 26, 2007
Ask a Question